Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm visiting my parents the week after Christmas and the guy I grew up with, that lived next door, is also home visiting his parents. Now, I have known Chuck since 1966 when he was 1 and I was 2. We have remained friends all these years and have stayed in touch with each other. Professionally speaking, I took the route of a sales professional while he has remained a Blue Collar worker. Let me say definitively that I do not look down upon the "Blue Collar Man." I'm, in fact, pretty damn Blue Collar myself as far as being well balanced and down to earth.

Anyways, Chuck and I went to the local pub for a beer and to catch up on things when he asked if I wanted to go smoke some awesome weed. I told no but he was free to do so if he wanted and I would step outside with him. (After all, I'm not as pure as the wind driven snow.) While indulging in his herbal intoxicant, Chuck told me something that really bothered me. He told me that his friend was making regular trips to Colorado where he was buying top-notch legal weed and bringing it back to Nashville to sell.

This Just Pisses Me Off.

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
I've heard that Kansas State Troopers are waiting on the border of CO and making busts left and right.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
At least he is keeping it American...grown in America, by American Farmers, sold in America, transported in America, kept in America.

Only downside that I see is it's illegal as hell, and if caught he will serve time in an American prison. Rules be rules, and Laws be laws.

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
I thought it was a private enterprise? The only money the govt makes is taxes.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At least he is keeping it American...grown in America, by American Farmers, sold in America, transported in America, kept in America.

Only downside that I see is it's illegal as hell, and if caught he will serve time in an American prison. Rules be rules, and Laws be laws.
Yes, but he is between jobs right now and a piss test will, as it has in the past, keep him from employment.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ask yourself this; Do you want your child, son, daughter, grandchild, smoking POT? What about taking acid, X, Meth, and Cocaine? Look who our President is and tell me that taking drugs is no big deal.
obama-smoking-pot.jpg

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
What if your kid drinks a beer? Same thing in my opinion. Pot is not the same as acid, x, coke, etc. It should be legal, regulated (by the state that is sold in!) And taxed exactly like liquor.

And X was legal till the DEA figured out people were having fun with it. It was probably safer when it was legal.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Ask yourself this; Do you want your child, son, daughter, grandchild, smoking POT? What about taking acid, X, Meth, and Cocaine? Look who our President is and tell me that taking drugs is no big deal.
I don't want my kids or grand kids, smoking cigarettes, smoking pot, drinking alcohol, abusing prescription drugs, dropping acid, or shooting heroin. But, once they are adults, just like you or me, they are going to do what they want and feel is appropriate for them. If the stuff is regulated and standardized for a modicum of safety, at least there is a better chance than there is today that it won't kill them or bankrupt them to support a habit. Prohibition didn't stop people from drinking, even though it was illegal. When the Volstead Act was repealed 13 years later, the number of people that abused alcohol didn't go up, nor did it drop appreciably either. People just kept on doing what they were already doing only now it was legal. What did decline were the number of deaths attributed to "bad booze" and chemical concoctions passed off as booze. I suspect the same would be true with drugs today. Regulation and standardization would eliminate the drugs of choice being "cut" with fillers or other additives to increase both profit and desire. Hopefully, if we've raised our children right they will walk the straight and narrow and legal or not it won't make any difference.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What if your kid drinks a beer? Same thing in my opinion. Pot is not the same as acid, x, coke, etc. It should be legal, regulated (by the state that is sold in!) And taxed exactly like liquor.

And X was legal till the DEA figured out people were having fun with it. It was probably safer when it was legal.
The guy that can get you some smoke, also has access to the hard stuff. That is a plain fact.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't want my kids or grand kids, smoking cigarettes, smoking pot, drinking alcohol, abusing prescription drugs, dropping acid, or shooting heroin. But, once they are adults, just like you or me, they are going to do what they want and feel is appropriate for them. If the stuff is regulated and standardized for a modicum of safety, at least there is a better chance than there is today that it won't kill them or bankrupt them to support a habit. Prohibition didn't stop people from drinking, even though it was illegal. When the Volstead Act was repealed 13 years later, the number of people that abused alcohol didn't go up, nor did it drop appreciably either. People just kept on doing what they were already doing only now it was legal. What did decline were the number of deaths attributed to "bad booze" and chemical concoctions passed off as booze. I suspect the same would be true with drugs today. Regulation and standardization would eliminate the drugs of choice being "cut" with fillers or other additives to increase both profit and desire. Hopefully, if we've raised our children right they will walk the straight and narrow and legal or not it won't make any difference.
If I'm not mistaken it had a positive effect on crime rates also.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The point of my post is to expose the fact that POT is being bought legally in CO and sold illegally elsewhere.

Smokem' if you got 'em, just don't ask me to pay for your welfare and unemployment when you can't get a job because the "Man" expects you to pass a piss test.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
If I'm not mistaken it had a positive effect on crime rates also.

That depends on the context though.

If you made murder and stealing legal, there wouldn't be any crime at all.

Now, I'm not saying drinking should be illegal or that pot shouldn't be made legal with the same rules as alcohol...I'm just saying crime will go down
when you make illegal things legal.

The actions people are doing won't change . Drinkers will still drink, pot smokers will still smoke pot.

Make murder legal, and crime in America will probably drop by one third to one half. But people who kill will still keep on killing.

The only thing different is what is allowed, not what is actually happening.

·
22,317 Posts
I go back and forth from CO to NM on a pretty regular basis. I'm surprised I've never been checked, actually. But I don't see myself supporting legalized marijuana any time soon. I've seen several drivers up there that I'm pretty darn certain were stoned. If we rescind all welfare and obligation to support those who've baked away their ability to form a coherent sentence, I might be convinced to tolerate it, but too many of the consequences of weed bleed over to others to convince me that this falls under "live and let live."

Reactions: scoutfish

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The point of my post is to expose the fact that POT is being bought legally in CO and sold illegally elsewhere.

Smokem' if you got 'em, just don't ask me to pay for your welfare and unemployment when you can't get a job because the "Man" expects you to pass a piss test.
It's legal for me to have a 30 round magazine in Texas, but not in other places. Is it Texas' fault that 30 round magazines get to California? No.
And you're right -- felons and other convicts should be restricted in what they can get via welfare.

I go back and forth from CO to NM on a pretty regular basis. I'm surprised I've never been checked, actually. But I don't see myself supporting legalized marijuana any time soon. I've seen several drivers up there that I'm pretty darn certain were stoned. If we rescind all welfare and obligation to support those who've baked away their ability to form a coherent sentence, I might be convinced to tolerate it, but too many of the consequences of weed bleed over to others to convince me that this falls under "live and let live."
Well if weed is so bad for you, I'm sure we can find other things that the government considers bad for you. I believe there's a group that says firearms cause a lot of violence, maybe those should be illegal too? And power tools. Those things can hurt you! We need to make sure that you know what you're doing with those! We're going to put in place a train and license system for all circular saws in 2016. It's for your own good, we know whats best.

You see where I'm going with this? I will give you that certain drugs probably need to be regulated more strictly than others. I don't believe that heroin is a drug that someone can use on Friday, then be sober and good to go for an 8 hour work day on Monday. Alcohol is a drug that we've decided is ok for Friday night and be sober for Monday. I think that marijuana goes into the latter group of "doesnt completely screw your brain over like crystal meth" camp.

And about driving intoxicated -- people drive drunk all the time. They get pulled over and arrested for driving while intoxicated, hopefully. The same should happen for getting high and driving.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts