Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had to visit a college campus. So I unloaded my 24/7 OSS, put it in the lockbox and locked it in the truck for 3 hours. It was around 5 degrees when I went to reload I had trouble racking the frigging slide. Aside from that difficulty - good thing I was wearing gloves or it would have been painful - I am concerned about functioning.
In any case... I am going to rethink my lubrication schedule for my carry gun. I realize that such a cold condition is unusual for a carry gun, still... plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Under consideration: G-96 and Rem-oil with teflon. Anybody aware of cold/viscosity tests on gun lubes?

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Wow, that's cold. Haven't ever thought about an auto under those conditions. Maybe consider a revolver for the extremes?

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
When you carry in real cold weather, try using a synthetic oil on your gun. The synthetic oils viscosity isn't effected by the cold. If it's really cold like below -30 a dry gun is about the best option or perhaps a bit of graphite on the slide rails. I've been hunting at temperatures below minus 30 and have had the action on a bolt rifle freeze shut. You fire a round or two and the chamber warms up and draws condensation and then it instantly freezes. A perfectly dry gun, as in no oil at all, is about the only way to keep the gun functioning in those conditions.

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's cold. Haven't ever thought about an auto under those conditions. Maybe consider a revolver for the extremes?
Good idea.

·
Registered
548 Posts
In that cold of weather use a full synthetic oil or try OneShot (cleaner and dry lube) or Rem dry (dry lube) and I dont think you will have issues.

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you carry in real cold weather, try using a synthetic oil on your gun. The synthetic oils viscosity isn't effected by the cold. If it's really cold like below -30 a dry gun is about the best option or perhaps a bit of graphite on the slide rails. I've been hunting at temperatures below minus 30 and have had the action on a bolt rifle freeze shut. You fire a round or two and the chamber warms up and draws condensation and then it instantly freezes. A perfectly dry gun, as in no oil at all, is about the only way to keep the gun functioning in those conditions.
Good point. Both of the lubes on the list are synthetic.
Currently, though, the gun is lubed with a dry MoS2 lube - I wouldn't have thought temperature would be an issue, but reality always trumps theory.

·
Registered
31,688 Posts
In temperatures below 38 degrees, you don't want to use any type of paraffin based oil on a pump or semi auto. I made it a point in the mid 70's to never use a paraffin based lubricant on any gun. Sure could mess up a morning duck hunt.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for bringing up this subject. You have elicited some great responses thus far.

I've often wondered about leaving a handgun in extremely HOT temperatures locked in a car, too.

Once, I left my Judge Public Defender in my vehicle for about two hours in 100 degree temps (about 125 degrees inside the car), and the handgun was so blasted hot that I burned my hand when I retrieved it from underneath the seat.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Did the same thing when hunting at -40 in North Dakota & Montana...

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In temperatures below 38 degrees, you don't want to use any type of paraffin based oil on a pump or semi auto. I made it a point in the mid 70's to never use a paraffin based lubricant on any gun. Sure could mess up a morning duck hunt.
I bet that's it. Although the lube I am currently using is supposed to be dry, I bet there is some paraffin in there as a vehicle to carry the MoS2.
Time for a good cleaning.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
like some of you already posted in cold weather use dry lube, stay away from petroleum based lubes.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have a couple of large rubber squeeze bottles that spray a mist of dry powdered graphite that I used for lubing locksets, it is amazing how slippery that graphite is!

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to ask a question, Does the cold weather effect hand gun ammo at all.
Around 1.5 fps/degree Celsius. So realistically, the answer is no.
I would post the link, but the site has been hacked and there is a Trojan on that particular page.

·
Registered
612 Posts
+1 on this thread.. Great information here. Thanks for bringing this into the light for some of us "newbies."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts