Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we got our first blast of arctic cold this weekend here in the far north. Saturday and Sunday morning temperatures hovered around -25 below zero, with -50 below wind chill. Two of my firearms associates thought this would be a great weekend to test some new gun oil in their AK-47s. Plans were to test for function and reliability in these extreme temperatures. They also hoped to take some pictures, providing the digital cameras work in this type of weather. I hope to have a report on their findings this week. Of course, if you're in Texas or Florida, this info won't be of much use. But for those in the northern tier of states, The results should be interesting.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Did a test with my (at the time) vehicle gun. I think the temps were slightly warmer than recently (negative teens). My Kimber ran without a hitch. I will admit that I haven't tested my XD but as its carried next to my body I'm not as concerned.

The drawback to that location is that my access time is horrible. But if I toss the M85 into a coat pocket it should even things up.

Even if your associates can't get pics, let us know what oil they tried and how it worked.

Steelheart

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the cold weather testing was called off this weekend....it was just TOO COLD!!! The wind chill factor made it almost impossible to be outside for any extended length of time. The product they had planned to use is made by MMC, Molecular Metal Conditioners. They have a variety of products including gun and action cleaner, protector and conditioning spray, synthetic grease and combination synthetic cleaners, protectant and lubricant. The synthetic blend metal conditioner is now provided with every new Kel Tec product as an all in one product. They say it will not gum up even in the extreme cold temps. Its made in Arkansas, so I'm not sure how much cold weather testing they've done with it. But, they're going to try again next weekend, when the temp is expected to warm up to about -5 below!!!
BTW, Flyer, is the Lucas oil a synthetic?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I did some cold weather testing on my Taurus 605 this weekend. I knew it would work but just had to do it. Sunday it warmed up to 5 deg. F. gun was outside for an hour, it worked fine. I left it in my car overnight and at 4 a.m. this morning it was -16, 5 SA shot went fine, 5 DA shots went fine. No suprises.
On the other hand I have a Browning Buckmark that won't work good at all if it's under 20 degrees. It is my favorite gun but the shotgun gets the call for rabbit hunting when it is under 20 degrees. I've tried every lube I have been able to get my hands on. The best solution yet is to run it dry. I've fired tens of thousands of rounds that way and there is no detectable wear. In 18 years that is the only issue I've had with that gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts