Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The indoor/outdoor range thread reminded me of something. I know that many here don't live where it gets that cold so this is more for us Northern types...

How many of us have tested out defensive guns in cold conditions? Now I'm not talking about taking the gun out of your warm vehicle and firing off a couple of magazines. I'm talking about letting it sit in the back of the rig on a cold night (properly secured of course), keeping it away from the heater on the drive to the range and then seeing how it will function when the temps are zero or below. Some lubes don't like extreme cold and can cause issues. Its better to find out that it won't run with lube XYZ than to have to draw it at a stop and rob while fueling up some cold night and get that loudest sound in the world (a click or nothing instead of a bang).

A while back I ran all of my defensive guns through the ringer one cold weekend. All of them passed with no issues. But I have added guns that should be run through the same test, both short guns and long guns.

And here's another question, have you tried shooting your defensive guns with gloves on? The Smith M13 I used to have didn't like gloves, they'd get caught above the trigger so it wouldn't reset... my M85 was just fine.

Yes, it will not be pleasant out at the range with serious sub-zero wind chills but its one less thing to think about should you ever need your weapon.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Wow..there is some food for thought..good post Steelheart...

I guess i will have to sit this one out though...
need to sit in the chair outside and drink my iced tea in my T-shirt.. 8)
Arizona..Got to love It...lol... :devil:

Now to be serious...

have you tried shooting your defensive guns with gloves on?

this made me think... :rolleyes:
because i do were gloves alot..i will go try this now..thanks
for that little reminder

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Yes it makes sense sort of. It all depends on how you plan to carry. If you are going for open carry for something on your hip then the test will be valid. But for most of us you carry concealed then the weapon will be close to our bodies and our body heat will keep the gun at our tempurature. The real issue is for us in the frozen north is if we can get to our weapon with all our layers of clothing, and with our gloves on. As for rifles, Steelheart's test is recomended. It's a good thing to know either way. A lot of people keep their guns in the glovebox or under the seat not knowing when they are needed. But for most concealed carry, I don't think it's that much of an issue unless you core body temp goes down.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Steelheart said:

How many of us have tested out defensive guns in cold conditions?
Steelheart
I've lived north (SD) and I've lived south (TX). Now I live in Tennessee where you'll find ice more often than you'll find snow (29 all night - 32.5 all day).

I'll have to think about how that might effect things (aside from dummies slamming on their brakes, sliding into you and knocking your piece clear through a window).

JimL

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
lol..JimL... :D :D

Ace..another very good point....

I don't have my cw permit yet..soon though..
i mostley have my gun in my truck...so i does get cold in there...
I also remember when i had a permit, one of the big issues was how to carry when it was cold...it does get cold here too.. I carried my 1911 all the time wit a IWB and with jackets and sweatshirts it was difficult to get out..i would probally have to run if i had the chance and find cover before i could get it out..yikkees...

Steelhearts thread here is a good reminder for all of us when it is cold...

I wonder if revolvers are a little more resistent to the cold than autos... :???: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, for most people their primary gun is carried fairly close to their body so by the time it gets cold enough to have function issues the owner isn't the one attempting to use it.

Lately if I'm not just going to and from work I've been putting my M650 in an outer jacket pocket for ease of access when I'm all bundled up. As I haven't given this gun a good cold weather test I'm not 100% sure it will work but I haven't changed anything that worked with my M85 so I'm probably 99% sure. Plus there is the times I'm snowblowing the sidewalk and driveway, there is no way I'd make it to my primary on my hip, but that snubbie could be gotten to. And IF the confrontation went to the point of needing a reload, then I have the choice to either reload the snub or haul out the XD.

Here's a related thought, before you draw, do you attempt to remove a glove or not? If so, how? I probably would as its not that easy to quickly get to either gun with my normal gloves on. But give me a second or so warning and I can have my snub in hand and still have that hand protected from the elements. I would be removing the glove by grabbing a finger, usually the middle one, in my teeth and using that to pull the glove off. I would then proceed with the draw. Other hand would stay in the glove, until I hit that reload stage then I'd have to decide real fast whether to load or draw.

When I first read about the cold weather testing I was keeping a gun in my vehicle as work had banned guns per state law and I wanted something available while on the road.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
When I was back in NYC I worked foot patrol on many cold nights. (As a rookie of course and not by choice) As a young, curious cop I also wondered how the cold would affect functionality. So, when I was off for a couple of days in a row I placed my S&W duty revolver in the freezer for around 36 hours. I removed it and packed it in a cooler with ice and headed up to the NYPD outdoor training facility in the Bronx. The temperature was somewhere in the upper teens I believe. Took it from the cooler and immediately fired all 6 rounds. Flawless. I ran it for around 250 rounds total without a hiccup.

BTW, when the Dept. switched to 9mm semi autos I did it to my Glock 19 also. I think we all know the outcome on that one.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
"BTW, when the Dept. switched to 9mm semi autos I did it to my Glock 19 also. I think we all know the outcome on that one."

I want to know, Please Pretty please!! Are you saying there was a difference?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Nope...no difference. Glocks can go through a s**t storm and still function. :D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Glocks are made in Austria and since they are the sidearm of the Austrian forces they had to go through a lot of cold weather testing. Also expect better cold weather performance from AK's over your AR's. The best cold weather gun I have fired was my M39, a rearsenaled Nagant by Sako of Finland. those rifles were meant to withstand anything colder than what we got here in the Northwest. Although I switched my deer rifle over for an enfield without incident.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steelheart said:
Plus there is the times I'm snowblowing the sidewalk and driveway, there is no way I'd make it to my primary on my hip, but that snubbie could be gotten to. And IF the confrontation went to the point of needing a reload, then I have the choice to either reload the snub or haul out the XD.
Steelheart, where do you live that you need to worry about carrying not only one but 2 guns AND worry about reloading while snowblowing? I live in a borderline bad area near a major city and later in the day/night if I am doing anything where I am going in and out from the car or similar it is nice to throw the PT140 in an IWB but I don't worry about an extra mag or a BUG.

I guess maybe it is just me, but I don't usually carry while doing work around the house. Consider that a "safe zone" I guess... Hmmm...

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its difficult to access a belt gun under a winter coat. The second gun becomes the functional primary due to ease of access.

I plan for a reload since Mr. Murphy isn't my friend.

And if I'm dressed I'm armed. I don't consider many/any areas "safe zones". Been almost mugged in fairly safe locations/times of day. Awareness is what covered my butt.

Steelheart

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing that might help would be to use an extreme temperature grease like Aeroshell on the slide. I think it stays about the same viscosity from -40F to +250F.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i wondered this my self but i would imagine anything cold enough to stop the gun will probably stop me as well.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since it's getting cold again I thought it might be time to pull this thread out of the freezer so to speak.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Steelheart said:
Since it's getting cold again I thought it might be time to pull this thread out of the freezer so to speak.

Steelheart
Interesting since I've had my Glock 21 frozen at 17 degrees F for the past 3 months in my chest freezer.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
never done the cold test, i would'nt go to a outdoor range if it was below 50 anyway.

open carry it might be a bit chilly..

conceal carry when i take the gun off for the night you can actually feel the warmth if it's a metal gun from body heat transfer of carrying it all day.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Both mine ride either in my insulated vest or under it in cold weather. So I expect normal operations. My heavy coat unzips from top or bottom so I can gain access to either with little trouble. Any other coat does not get zipped when I am out and about.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This topic comes into play more when you need to leave a firearm in your vehicle for a few hours (or more). Say if you can't carry at work and live somewhere it actually gets cold (current temp here is 9 above for example) it's nice to know that the gun will work if you need it on the drive home. Or if you have a designated vehicle gun like I used to (previous employer posted per Mn State law).

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.