Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When you guys and gals have your 1911's cocked and locked, how long do you leave it that way? Do you lay it on your night stand etc... and carry it the next day and repeat? How often do you relieve the hammer or do you leave it cocked indefinitely?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have a 70+ year old bedside 1911A1 that rarely ever comes off condition 1 and will go bang everytime if needed. Not to worry....

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
No kids, so all the time.

·
Administrator
40,264 Posts
Mines been cocked and locked for several years now. Works every time I take it out for a shoot!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I have two kids, but all of my guns are always cocked and locked if they're loaded. Storing it in Condition 1 won't hurt it at all, especially not a 1911 since it was designed to be carried in that manner. It won't diminish the power of the mainspring or damage internals, you do more abuse just shooting it than leaving it cocked and locked all the time.

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
Yeah, what they said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Id argue that you could keep it that way indefinitely if the environmental conditions would keep you from having to clean and oil it every so often.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Out of habit daily I drop the magazine, clear the weapon and go through a little safety / function / launch the pencil check.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
My little 1911, Colt Defender, that I carry everyday, stays in condition 1 at all times, until I shoot it or clean it, whichever comes first. It has never failed to fire when called upon to do so.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
This is just my preference, so try not to judge too harshly. I like to leave my magazines full, but the chamber clear in all my semi-auto's and just cycle the slide when I need it. To me that's easier than trying to remember at the last second whether one of my 1911 is on the night stand, or any of my other pistols of a different design. That also completely eliminates any concern for oil contaminated primers, or accidental discharges. Works for me!

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
You'd wear it down more by fiddling with it than leaving it be.

However, even fiddling with it won't lead to any noticeable degradation in service life, so do whatever makes you happy and fret over something important instead, like magazine springs :D

·
22,963 Posts
Cocked and locked forever! :cool:

Reactions: Armijager

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Same here, condition 1. At home they are in a bagmaster holster, I don't like leaving exposed triggers even with a safety.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Always in condition 1 except for when cleaning or showing/teaching someone. Never had a problem with any 1911 because of keeping it in condition 1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts