Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
i will when i get my CHL(the class is march 1st.i dont think the bad guy will give you a chance to put one in the chamber.but please becareful!!!

·
Administrator
40,155 Posts
Well, they are designed to be carried that way. You might find yourself needing it and only one hand free to use it. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
not to beconfused are you talking condition 1 or condition 2?

for CC i'd say condition 2, some guns like the 1911 have a grip safety and are very safe to carry in condition 1, infact thats their intended condition and can spend the better part of their existance cocked no problem.

my pt92 for example can be carried also in con1 but im a bit more leary because there is no grip safety should be some accident the gun's safety get switched off the trigger is very light.. it has a firing pin block so that is not a issue but the trigger is.

so i guess short answer would be yes to both but depends on what gun.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
dcicero said:
pt111 9mm mil. pro 3rd gen
Ok, that is my semi auto also. I carry with one in the chamber, and 11 in the mag. That means I am loaded and the striker is ready to fire. So, the safety is on, the holster (if I am using any of mine) covers the trigger and guard, and I keep my finger out of the guard until pointed down range.
Otherwise as they have said here your a dead duck by the time you rack the slide and take any type of aim.
"see the 21 foot rule, and how fast someone can get to you in 21 feet"

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I started an earlier thread on the 15th of January, pretty much
addressing this same situation. The thread was, "How Do You Carry"?
I used to carry a Glock without a round in the chamber. And I also used
to carry my Springfield 1911 the same way, without a round chambered.

I have since changed that to having a round chambered. I carry my 1911
condition one all the time now. And when I carry my Glock, it too has a round
chambered.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will carry my 1911 cocked and locked as soon as I get my permit , I hope in the next few weeks .

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've needed to draw a weapon several times in defensive situations over the years and while I usually had time to cock the hammer, only once or twice would have been able to jack one into the chamber. IMO I carry my cane or hiking stick if I think I'm going to need a club :)
But to answer the question: revolver: full cylinder, hammer down. pistol: one in the chamber and full magazine, usually condition one. Sometimes I will carry the 1911 on half cock at family functions, when carried in the tankbag/backpack, or the field when my primary weapon is a long gun.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
PT145, IWB, chambered with safety on.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I carry my P11 with 1 in the chamber. There is no safety on the gun and I feel completely safe. When I carry my 24/7 I carry the same, 1 in the chamber with the safety off. The trigger pulls on both guns are long enough and heavy enough that you don't just bump the gun and they go off. In my ccw class we were told not to use the safeties on our guns unless we got plenty of practice pulling our guns and dropping the safety at the same time.

However on a 1911 I would probably carry with 1 in the chamber, cocked, and with the safety on.

My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When I carry it's ready to roll. Bill Jordan once said an unloaded gun isn't worth fish guts. I tend to agree with him. Frank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although I've had a carry permit for almost 30 years, I've never carried it with one in the chamber. I think it's time to re-evaluate that. No reason not to do so with my 1911.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Sparky-66R said:
Although I've had a carry permit for almost 30 years, I've never carried it with one in the chamber. I think it's time to re-evaluate that. No reason not to do so with my 1911.
I also used to carry with an empty chamber.
But last month, I have since changed that to one in
the pipe at all times. By the way Sparky-66R, I noticed
that you have only one post.

But, I did not see your name in the "Member Introduction"
section. Anyway, welcome from Tulsa Oklahoma. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
A friend of mine learned the hard way.He was car jacked and forced to the back seat, he did not have a chance to present his weapon, he let his gun go under the passengers seat. When the bgs drove of with his car and him in the back seat there was another perpm covering him pointing a cocked gun at his head, but this perp in the back seat was more concerned on looking out the back window to see it they where beeing followed. My friend was just seating there hoping not toget shot when he fely his gun with his feet under the front passengers seat, somehow he mangaged to pull it out from under the seat with his foot and grab the gun while the perp was looking out the back window, but my friend remembered he did not have around in the chamber, and decided he would not be able to push the perps gun away from his head and rack the slide before the perp got of a shot at him, plus the two guys in the front seats had guns too, so he decided to drop the gun and push it under the seat again and wait for another oportunity. The perps dropped him of blocks later, the police recovered the car and the gun three days after.
My friend told me that if he had a roundin the chamber(double action sw9) he could have taken the guy in the back seat first.Now he carries a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
man that would be scary.

assuming he had a round chambered.. do you

1. push the guy in the backs gun away, point your gun and give them all a chance to surrender
2. push the guy in the backs gun away, put one in his head, then the gun in the front passenger finally giving the driver a chance to surrender before blowing his brains out?

i would hate ot be in the situation.. you try option 1 and you might get killed.

you could probably pull off option 2 but then have to live with killing at least 2 people even in self defense it's hard enough to deal with shooting and killing one.. but 2 or 3 that would be mental hell.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts