Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since I got my Swiss K31 years ago, I always thought it would be neat to get a Swiss 1911 - the looooong barreled predecessor to the K31. A few finally became available and after some hem-hawing, I pulled the trigger and ordered one thru Aim surplus. I anxiously awaited it's arrival and today.....today I picked it up from my FFL!
Imagine my surprise when I did some research on the serial number and found out it was manufactured in 1904..... 1904?? Huh? The 1911's were first manufactured in 1912. A little more checking...and a little more research...and I found out that what Aim had actually sent me was an 1896/11 an 1896 rifle that...well..let me just add a quote:

In 1913, as a result of a decree signed on January 13, 1911, conversion of 1896-type rifles to approximate to the 1911 pattern began in the Eidgenoessische Waffenfabrik. By March 1, 1920, 135,770 rifles had been altered. They had four-groove rifling and chambered the Ordonnanz 11 cartridge.

As might be expected, this model markedly resembled the Model 1911 Rifle, some of the differences being:

rounded buttplate on the M96/11, flat on the M11;
pistol grip worked into the stock on the M96/11, integral to the stock on the M11;
cutouts on the bottom of the receiver for older magazines on the M96/11, none on the M11
slightly differently shaped trigger guard on the M96/11 than on the M11
from Manufacture Dates of Swiss Schmidt-Rubin Rifles

Now I'm torn. I think its kinda neat to own a 111 year old rifle but..it is not what I ordered. Checked the Aim website and the cost of the two rifles is the same. I was really worried at first that the 1896/11 rifles would not take the GP11 ammo...but apparently it is strong enough to run it. I think maybe I will shoot off a note to Aim Surplus. I did pay an extra $20 for hand select to get the best looking 1911 rifle out of a group of five....and uhm... I didn't even get a 1911 rifle....

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
IMHO, you didn't get what you ordered; return it on their dime, if at all possible.

·
22,843 Posts
I did pay an extra $20 for hand select to get the best looking 1911 rifle out of a group of five....and uhm... I didn't even get a 1911 rifle....
...always figured there was a good chance that was a ripoff...

If you like it much more, keep it. Otherwise, raise the issue.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Aim Surplus has no more Swiss 1911s now(they only had 100 in stock when I ordered) so I cannot send it back and have the correct model shipped. I am sorta taken with the rifle however (but I am like that with a lot of old milsurps) I guess what sticks in my craw is paying the extra $20 for hand select and THEN not having the correct rifle shipped. I am thinking I will contact them and ask to have that credited to me!!
By the way, in 1904:
Teddy Roosevelt was president
The ice cream cone made its debut
NYC began building Grand Central Station
The big aviation news of the day? The Wright brothers flew an airplane in a complete circle for the first time!
The Yankees had only been in NY for one year and didn't have a name yet...some called them the NY Americans and others the NY Highlanders

Yeh...this rife is old!!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Sounds like a cool rifle and if you are happy with it, then no problem.

BUT..... on principal alone I would not only ask for the extra $20 back, but also a "oops, we messed up" discount. Maybe they can take an additional $20 to $25 off the purchase price.

You held up your end of the bargain, they screwed up even if not unintentional.

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a cool rifle and if you are happy with it, then no problem.

BUT..... on principal alone I would not only ask for the extra $20 back, but also a "oops, we messed up" discount. Maybe they can take an additional $20 to $25 off the purchase price.

You held up your end of the bargain, they screwed up even if not unintentional.
E-mail has been sent to Aim so we will see what happens. By the way, after all my researching, I finally noticed that the import mark on the rifle (ugly job) has it etched as an 1896/11.
For the time being, I will just keep it as my bedside gun:

·
Registered
570 Posts
A 96/11 is good to go with Swiss GP-11 ammo, its the 1889 rifles that are not.

I think I would ask for my 20.00 back and keep the rifle. Swiss rifles are getting harder to find as the supply is drying up.

Classic Arms has the K-11 carbines in stock. I got one from them last week and its very nice.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Well, Aim Surplus has no more Swiss 1911s now(they only had 100 in stock when I ordered) so I cannot send it back and have the correct model shipped. I am sorta taken with the rifle however (but I am like that with a lot of old milsurps) I guess what sticks in my craw is paying the extra $20 for hand select and THEN not having the correct rifle shipped. I am thinking I will contact them and ask to have that credited to me!!
I'd do the same thing. Keep it and ask for the hand picked fee to be credited.

Congrats on a new to you milsurp! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Response from Aim Surplus: They will credit me my $20 hand pick fee plus and extra $5.... I should also say that I have had a lot of dealings with Aim previously, and they have always been very good. This is their first oops and they seemed truly apologetic. Now, here is my K31 with "Granddad"

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Good to hear that they made it right, even if you were cool with it. My dealings with AIM have always been pleasant.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Nice looking family there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts