Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used in past or currently using a clipdraw on their conceal carry? The universal one that glues on. They look great and seem small when compared to using a IWB holster. Not sure about how it will ride on my waist. (i carry at the 4oclock position). If you have used one, how tight do they hold or do they seem a little sloppy. Need some imput before I consider buying one for my PT111 PRO.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
No first hand experience, but I tried one on in a buddy's apt once with his g27 (somewhat similar to a pt111)

Not bad fit and feel as long as you have an undershirt buffering skin and gun.

Tends to shift cant with movement.

Fast easy smooth draw.

Cheap enough to try, but I feel that you'll probably end up with a good hybrid IWB holster.

If you're looking for a hybrid IWB I have a theis cowhide for a pt111 and I no longer have a pt111. PM if you're interested in it, I'll give ya a good deal.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Personally I think the PT-111 is too heavy to use with the Clipdraw.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'd think so too.

Also, I'd want to have the trigger covered when conceal carrying a gun, for the sake of safety.

Reactions: Freedom First

·
Registered
253 Posts
I REALLY liked the one I had on my 5 shot S&W 38.... made it super easy to carry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Keltec P3AT with the clip. My dad has the Keltec P32 with the clip. The guns are DAO and have a fairly heavy trigger pull(spec is 6lb. IIRC, but it feels heavier than that), so safety of the exposed trigger isnt a huge concern. The bottom line is this, at least for our(mine and my dads) Keltecs, they are considerably harder to pull quickly than if they were in a in the waistband holster, but with a little practice, and the following tip, you can start to get to it pretty quick.

When drawing the gun when using the clip, your thumb should go down between your hip and grip of the gun. Once your thumb is between the grip and your hip, snag the front of the grip by bending the tip of your thumb around it. While doing that, simultaneously pull the clip away from your pants with your middle finger slightly all while pulling up with both your thumb and middle finger. Once the gun is free, slide your middle finger down towards the bottom of the gun allowing your index finger to slip into the trigger guard. This sounds complicated, but with a little unloaded practice, youll get pretty quick at it.

This may sound like a big PITA to have to practice this routine just to go holsterless, but in my situation, the extra concealment is worth it to me. The position of the clip allows the gun to go below the waistline almost entirely. All that shows is the little bit of the clip that protrudes from underneath my belt and the very tip of the lip behind the slide. You can bend over, throw your hands in the air, hell flail around like a retard and your shirt will always fall right back over the area where your gun is residing and not have to worry about a PDoA. PLUS, if anyone does see it, it just looks like youve got a knife in your waistline. My dad has been carrying the P32 for about 5 years in this manner and only one person has ever made it, and he knew exactly what it was and what brand, so not your average Joe Citizen, but obviously another gun guy.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
If it don't cover the trigger, not for me!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I carry a KelTec P11 with the belt clip at 1:00. Standing, sitting , squating I forget it's there it's so comfortable and I can present the gun in less than a second. The P11 has a long trigger pull which is part of its safety. There's is no way you're going to accidently pull that trigger. It takes a while to get used to if you're not used to shooting revolvers double action.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Different versions of carry without a holster have been around for years for revolvers and semi autos. Lots of people that carry like them. The thing that most like is without the holster you have a package that has a little less bulk or thickness. To me at the end of a long day any sharp edge, corner, hammer etc. becomes uncomfortable. I like having the gun in a holster as it provides a little padding. A long day of 12 hours plus carry and you have forgotten about a 45 on your body speaks loudly to me about the quality of a custom rig. I am not knocking the clips, and they work great on small guns. For me personally, large or small the gun is just more comfortable at the end of the day in a good holster.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I know a guy who uses one with his Glock. Scares me!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I've been wanting a Keltec PF9 for a while and had thought of using the clip , nice summer carry gun I was thinking. I just havn't found any IWB holsters that don't feel uncomfortable after a bit. I really like my JIT slide.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The first 24/7 I fired belonged to a deceased friend's son, and it had one of these on it. The gun was experiencing light strikes due to a dirty striker channel, and I told the boy I'd fix it for him. He begged me to take the clip off while I was at it. And I'm another one who likes my triggers completely covered - I don't want a pistol going off in my pants. I need to drop a few pounds, but not that way. The other thing is, some states require a CC pistol to be in a holster, and the clip may not qualify.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Different versions of carry without a holster have been around for years for revolvers and semi autos. Lots of people that carry like them. The thing that most like is without the holster you have a package that has a little less bulk or thickness. To me at the end of a long day any sharp edge, corner, hammer etc. becomes uncomfortable. I like having the gun in a holster as it provides a little padding. A long day of 12 hours plus carry and you have forgotten about a 45 on your body speaks loudly to me about the quality of a custom rig. I am not knocking the clips, and they work great on small guns. For me personally, large or small the gun is just more comfortable at the end of the day in a good holster.
I'm with TOR all the way. Maybe it's my build or something, but I get a sore sport now and then with my IWB holsters so I can't imagine how sore I'd get with nothing to provide some comfort around my 709. Maybe I need to hit up White Castle and pad myself up a bit?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been going back and forth between a PF9 or a P3AT as a true pocket carry. Right now I'm leaning towards he .380 I'm my pocket with no round in the chamber and no clip or holster.

I've been wanting a Keltec PF9 for a while and had thought of using the clip , nice summer carry gun I was thinking. I just havn't found any IWB holsters that don't feel uncomfortable after a bit. I really like my JIT slide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts