Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have notice that my 1911 barrell had "a little" rust in it, so I got a little paranoid, and I checked my other guns and low and behold some but not all had rust in them too. I went crazy am I'm not going to lie, since I clean my guns every time I was doubting my techniques and what not. I found that I relied too heavily on bore snakes for one, and too much on clp. After some trips to sportsman's warehouse and to the hardware store, I got the rust out of the barrels of three old guns. Now I have a proper desicant in my safe, a bore brush for every caliber I own, and a good bore solvent. Damage done? I am now shopping for a new .45 barrel for my 1911 (not going to lie the old one probably landed at Inchon anyway, so it's a little ancient to be shooting, the rust didn't help), and I have a .22 revolver with a little pitting in the barrel that I am going to try to shoot out at the next range session, since I can't replace the barrel on that. On the comical side of this when I relayed all this information to my old man during deer season all he said is not to worry about a little rust and that he only cleans his guns every once in a while. When we were packing up I took my borelight to his model 88 winchester, I was horrified, the man was carrying a rifle with copper fouling so bad that the inside of the barrel was green, and I saw cobwebs.
"Jesus! When's the last time you cleaned this?" I asked.
"97"
"Yeah but you took it out to the range last year didn't you?"
"Yeah but a couple shells don't hurt nothin."
I think the next time my old man shoots that thing, I'm going to be twenty feet away.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think the next time my old man shoots that thing, I'm going to be twenty feet away.

too funny ;D

i learned that swamp coolers are the worst on guns :bang:....have some guns the same way...cleaned the outside of them with 0000 steel wool and WD-40...never thought about the barrels though...got to check now....
i have AC now...better on my guns, but really bad on my guitars...can't win :rolleyes:

what did you use to get the rust out out of the barrels?

·
Administrator
18,110 Posts
Build-up in the barrel can certainly cause pressures to increase. That's why some guns (like Glocks) with Polygonal Rifling explode due to build-up. Lead is usually the Culprit. If the Barrel is kept reasonably clean, this will not happen.

I occasionally use patches soaked with Noxon 7 Metal Polish/Cleaner on a Nylon Bore Brush, in the bore to remove Copper, Carbon, and Lead. It will also remove surface Rust!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Thanks Jwc ;D......I posted in the ammo section about shooting lead bullets, now i know what to use to clean...very many thank you's ;)

·
Registered
846 Posts
WD 40 won't last on guns or anything, it dries out. You have got to put a coat of oil on you gun barrels. You can run a dry patch down it before you go shoot. If you don't shoot regular clean them anyway, Hoppes # 9 is cheaper than a new gun.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used naval jelly on my .45 barrel. Just a dab on the patch and I let it soak, then cleaned it out heavily. It removed the rust, but not the pitting. On another gun I use the birchwood casey rust remover, on my old enfield I used a combination of both, but that barrel wasn't as bad as my .45. If you do this wear gloves! Both products will remove blueing.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
WD 40 won't last on guns or anything, it dries out. Y
Thanks Tx... I should have finished that post,,that is what do when i am done...good advice :)

I used naval jelly
Being a house painter, i have seen this stuff, but never used it..i will remember that though...worth a try ...Thanks Ace ;)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ther was another product out there that I looked into thats called evaporust that seems to be less harsh chemically, but you have to immerse whatever your de rusting and let it soak overnight. which will work for pistol barrels but not for rifle unless you got a barrel of the stuff. Also I didnt know if it would hurt the finish or not.

·
Registered
846 Posts
No problem dbs guy WD 40 is not for guns, use your cleaners ,brass brush, patches, etc. As I said it is all cheaper than a new gun or a gun malfunction, esp. if it's a CCW or a missed Buck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
texas shooter said:
No problem dbs guy WD 40 is not for guns,
i agree, WD-40 actually absorbs moisture, so when it dries it will leave that moisture on your gun the cause rust to form.

lesson learned from experience here. on a .22 single action revolver i have. now it has some pitting from rust on the outside of the barrel. WD-40 = no good for your guns

1 - 10 of 10 Posts