Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to clean off the black stuff from the front of the cylinder and flutes after firing.I've tried many solvents to no avail.I have used Flitz on a drill powered swab.It works but, that's to messy and time comsuming.Wondered if someone has a simplier method?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The only thing I've had luck with is squat. But it doesn't bother me that much so I deal with it. But it would be nice to find something that would work.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Lead free cloth works wonders - but do NOT use on blued guns, only stainless steel!

HERE

·
32,614 Posts
If it is stainless steel the lead remover cloths work pretty well. I scrub with just a portion of it over the rings and grit. Then wipe away with an oiled or CLP soaked patch. Dry the area and then run a silicon impregnated cloth over the entire affected area. This removes the lead remover chemicals. I use this on blued revolvers sparingly as well, but use very little elbow grease and lightly scrub for only a few seconds. I have used Blue Wonder cleaning paste and leave it on for a few minutes and then use a copper or bronze bristled brush with light pressure. Then wipe dry and CLP, or oil, or silicon cloth the area.A gun oiled soaked patch will usually get rid of the lead remover. Then dry the area off with clean patches. Casey's Gun Scrubber gets some of the grit off if applied to a brush and then run back and forth over the affected area. This all takes a while. The blued revolvers can loose some of the blueing if the lead remover clothes are used. That is why I use it for light wipe or pass only. Haven't had the finish destroyed yet, but why take the chance?I just developed my own technique and this may very well not work for those who have blued finishes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Use a product called never-dull,can be found at auto parts stores.Clean revolver as normal then lightly rub cylinder face or even push a few wads through barrel.Works great,doesnt require alot of force,I use it on my 66 after every trip to the range and occasionally in between.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you mind if I ask what you used nevr-dull for?I originally bought it for use on the wheels of a Mack cab over,but that is way to much work,and not half of the fun ;)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Try Lead away cloth by Kleen Bore I use it on my SS Raging Bull. It works well, but takes some rubbing for sure.

I only clean the burn marks once in a while, since they 'come back' after each range trip ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts