Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
35,504 Posts
I clean mine after every range visit. If I haven't taken the gun in awhile, I usually pull the slide off before the range trip and be sure that there is lube still on the rails.

I use a foaming bore cleaner on the bore, letting it sit for a few minutes before running patches soaked with Hoppes through it to clean it out. Really, as long as you use a good name brand cleaner (Hoppes, CLP, etc.) on the bore, it should be fine. Just keep running patches through it until it starts coming out clean, then start running dry patches through it until they are clean.

·
Administrator
40,088 Posts
I clean mine everytime I shoot it, whether it's a couple of rounds or 100 rounds. I'm with TTG, there's lots of good products out there for bore cleaning, but I prefer Hoppe's #9, because it works very well, and it just smells so good! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I clean mine after every range trip. I use Hoppes #9 and Rem Oil in the spray can.

Easy, easy gun to take down and clean.

P.S. I am fortunate enough to have an air compressor in my garage -I always give a gun a good blow after the solvent sits a few minuted.
You can buy canned air....not sure of the cost.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I'm pretty much with the rest also. I clean after every session, check if it hasn't been shot in a while. I use dedicated products such as CLP, Hoppes etc. They all work well for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As long as you don't shoot lead bullets, just about any bore cleaner should work fine. After a range session (typically 100-200 rounds), I field strip the gun and clean the feed ramp and rear of the barrel with a nylon brush. I then run a couple of patches moistened with Rem Oil through the barrel using a jag. Next, I give the barrel 5-10 strokes with a brush moistened with Rem Oil. I then run two or three clean patches through the barrel on a jag. I finish the barrel by wiping the exterior clean with a clean piece of rag moistened with Rem Oil. I spend a lot more time cleaning the inside of the slide and the frame rails with Q-Tips and rags. I use a nylon brush to clean the breech face and under the extractor. I use toothpicks to remove stubborn carbon deposits. Using a Q-Tip, I lubricate the exterior of the barrel (not the feed ramp area), the slide rails, and the opening at the muzzel end of the slide with gun oil. I highly recomend wearing vinyl gloves while cleaning guns in order to limit your exposure to lead.

Reactions: kd5zmg

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I use Shooter's Choice as a cleaner, strip the weapon down, run a wet patch down the barrel from the breech end, the run a bronze brush through the barrel, then run a series of wet patches through until they come up clean, the wipe the bore dry. Lube on the rails and bearing surfaces and on the barrel, the reassemble the pistol. I use a lube I found that was recommended for my AR 15 and the gun runs like top (sub 3-inch groups at 25 yards with Winchester White Box 165 gr 40 S&W).

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Hoppes #9 i my standard for all my rifles and pistols. If I haven't shot my carry in a while I unload it and run a bore snake and unload my magazine and blow it out, wipe all my ammo and reload. I will not be a victim.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Another shoot and clean shooter here. I use the Birchwood Casey products but believe what the others have to say that any of the current cleaners are good. Like BroJohn, I use compressed air to blow it out and then use the air to spread the lube. I check whatever I'm carrying daily, a simple chamber check can tell you a lot about the condition of the weapon, but I'm going to really look at it every other day.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My Milpros and other handguns all get a "bath" each time after I shoot them.

Matters not if it's just one shot or a one box firing session, I clean it after every firing session.

I've been using Remington Bore Cleaner, then after the bore is clean, I run a lightly-oiled patch of Rem Oil back and forth through the bore.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I mixed up a batch of Ed's Red and use that on all my guns. Clean all my guns after every range trip.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I'm pretty anal about having a clean gun. My MilPro is my carry gun. I clean it once a week and each time I take it to the range. I strip it, clean it, swab the bore with Gunzilla, clean all the Gunzilla off of it and put a light coat of Hoppe's #9 ( I love that smell) on it.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Anything your life depends on (tires, brakes, fire extinguishers, parachutes...and guns) should be well cared for.

So I clean em after every range session.

there are many good products on the market, but I've used Hoppe's as a bore cleaner for over 50 years and Breakfree CLP for over 30.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
For me, Step One: Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber synthetic safe formula, drench all the metal and blast out the striker channel from both ends. Strip the mags and blast them too. Step Two: Hoppe's #9 in the bore and breach face. Step Three: Kleen Bore Formula 3 for a lube (it came with the cleaning kit), followed by a silicone cloth wipe down after reassembly.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
When I did the first clean on my new-to-me PT111, the gun still was covered with the factory goo but had been fired for a few hundred rounds. The carbon just adheres to the goo. I had to SCRUB the feed ramp area and firing pin area with a tooth brush (I use Hoppe's #9 as well) to get the carbon off... it will normally wipe off. The feed ramp appears to have been polished either at the factory of by a previous owner as it shined like glass.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I use Hoppe's #9 on a bore snake, soaking the barrel while cleaning the rest of the piece with Gun Scrubber, paper towels and canned air.
Lastly I saw the brass brush part through the barrel and slowly pull the oily end on through and check for anything left. It always looks g
great.

One can hardly over-clean, and it gives you a chance to admire the wonderfully working innards of your favorite toys.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
12 Posts
After every range trip and I personally use only CLP it works great.Semper Fi!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I clean mine after every range trip. I use Hoppes #9 and Rem Oil in the spray can.

Easy, easy gun to take down and clean.

P.S. I am fortunate enough to have an air compressor in my garage -I always give a gun a good blow after the solvent sits a few minuted.
You can buy canned air....not sure of the cost.
Don't know what I did before I bought my compressor. So much better than canned air. A five to ten second shot clears debris from any gun I own.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I clean mine before and after a range trip. Especially before if the gun wasn't with me during the last trip. I clean out my 945 once a week, mostly because i don't want any type of failure just because there's lint and/or dust bunnies floating around inside of it. My main CLP is RemOil, but the last time out i picked up some Hoppe's and some CLP Break Free to give that combo a try. I also put a light coat of wheel bearing grease on the slide rails, applied with a cotton swab, rack the slide a few times to push out any excess, and then wipe off the inside of the slide and lower to make sure i don't get too much powder residue buildup.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts