Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I get back from the range I clean out the barrel of my pt111 with a few patches, the supplied brush from Taurus, and a few drops of "Shooter's Choice Firearms Bore Cleaner" that came recommended from the dealer. Never fails to scrape out black residue, so I'm guessing it's not time wasted to do it so frequently. I've got 150 rounds through it now so I think I'm getting close to the point of needing to do something a little more intensive. I have a can of "Break-Free CLP" here, and I just wanted to check and make sure that it's the right stuff to use when following the directions at http://www.kaptain.us/guns/clean.html.

Also, when I take the slide off I saw a buildup of gunky oily something-or-other towards the back of the grip. It was there the first time I took the gun apart so I guess it's supposed to be there, but do I leave it there? Use an old toothbrush to get rid of it and put some of that Break-Free in its place?

I run a computer repair shop, and now I know how some of my customers who don't know much about their computers must feel when they come asking questions. :-[

·
Premium Member
11,497 Posts
Taurus uses a heavy grease on their firearms before they ship from Brazil so it's a good idea to clean thoroughly before firing. After a range session I use Gun Scrubber on my disassembled gun and then Rem Oil before reassembly. I've also found that squirting Gun Srubber down the firing pin hole until the black stuff stops coming out the back of the slide is a good idea.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
CJS3 said:
I've also found that squirting Gun Srubber down the firing pin hole until the black stuff stops coming out the back of the slide is a good idea.
Very good idea actually. Aside from a detail strip and cleaning, the Gun Scrubber is an excellent way to remove unwanted internal residue.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I find that running a dry boresnake thru the barrel 3 times, then a patch with some rem-oil, followed by a good wipe down and a brushing out of the breach area usually does the job. I don't field strip every time anymore, just as needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
CJS3 said:
Taurus uses a heavy grease on their firearms before they ship from Brazil so it's a good idea to clean thoroughly before firing. After a range session I use Gun Scrubber on my disassembled gun and then Rem Oil before reassembly. I've also found that squirting Gun Srubber down the firing pin hole until the black stuff stops coming out the back of the slide is a good idea.
Hey CJS3, Do you spray the Gun Scrubber down the firing pin hole with the fing pin assembly still in place?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I treated my 3rd Gen. Pt111 Mil Pro like a rifle during (what I considered) the break-in period. Clean first (factory gunk), shoot and clean, shoot and clean, shoot and clean. Just my personal preference. Now I also just clean and lube as needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How can you tell if you need a "harsher" cleaning? I usually just use the solvent in my gun cleaning kit, but I've got about 650 rounds through my gun now, so I'm wondering if I need to try some Gun Scrubber on the barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.