Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that anytime my gunpowder is left in the hopper for a length of time (overnight), the flakes are stuck to the sides, and leaves a hazing on the plastic. The hazing cant be rubbed off, but can be scaped off. Any tips on what I can use to clean it off?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Glass or plastic?
Try some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA).

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
That would work also, just check what it is mixed with, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone and methyl isobutyl ketone will harm plastic.
Or just use some "'shine".

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
After you have cleaned the hopper, wipe the inside with dry film lubricant. It will stop the powder from clinging to the side and reduce static.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If your talking about your reloading powder measure. That's a bad habit. It does happen on occasion, but not something Id make a method of doing.
oh and I take a graphite pencil (what other type is there) and scribble on the bottom part every once and again.. if you don't have access to dry film lube. This helps meter a tad better.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I buy a box of what ever is cheapest. Keep the box in a freezer bag. I started using the Lee measures several years ago. I would set one up to throw a charge I used a lot. The things are almost all plastic and sometimes static was a problem. A friend told me about the dryer sheets and they worked.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I've used dryer sheets on the powder measure to good effect too and I don't think scent really matters.

·
Registered
612 Posts
oh Waite.. believe it was a Used dryer sheet. not non scented. sorry for the confusion. Don't know why used vs new tho.

edit..
after tracking down were I heard this originally.
it seems new dryer sheets to wipe the measure down with and keep one stored inside.
Used for your tumbler.. yea w/e..

·
Registered
103 Posts
isn't it just graphite stuck to the sides? why bother to clean it at all?
I would bet that's the case. Smokeless powder is covered with graphite to regulate the burn rate, and graphite is, incidentally, an excellent dry lubricant. This is why they recommend running a hopper or two of powder through a new powder measure before you use it. It's also what pencil "lead" is made out of. Don't worry about it on the sides of your powder measure, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
One thing i do not want to do is clean the graphite out of my powder measures. A dryer sheet is good to wipe down a new measure, but after it's coated with the graphite from the powder static is no longer a problem unless you clean the graphite out of the hopper. I suppose if you cleaned it with a fresh dryer sheet it still wouldn't be a problem, but why clean something that doesn't need to be cleaned?

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I believe I would be leery of putting any chemical beyond gun powder in a powder measure. The graphite on the powder will coat the inside of the powder hopper. I would leave it alone and never leave powder in a hopper after finishing a reloading run. Return the powder to it's original container and store it properly.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You are probably right about emptying the powder measures. After I started using the Lees and worked out loads where one charge would do several things I put a sticker on it saying what the powder and charge is and just leave it. Hang a rag over it and put a small plug in the discharge hole to keep spiders and mud wasps out. Use c clamps to hold them to the bench. I am basically a huge fan of taking safe short cuts. Love to save time on things so
I use it for unimportant piddling...LOL

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I've used dryer sheets on the powder measure to good effect too and I don't think scent really matters.
REALLY??
Ok if you say its alright!-----------:fart:------------------:eek:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
You sure you aren't on that thread about sniffing Break Free?

Reactions: Rottiejake
1 - 20 of 29 Posts