Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've had topics about how often we clean our guns, but how often do you all clean your mags?

·
Registered
467 Posts
All over the map as far as what I used to do. Used to clean after every trip to the range and about 100 - 200 rounds. Now I clean after about 5 trips to the range (approx. 1000 rnds). No FTF or problems at that number for me, but I'm sure you will get all kinds of responses on this one. My son (Glock 23 and M&P 40) just cleaned his (I did it for him) after about 5000 rounds out of each. A little too long of rmy tastes, but never had a magazine feeding issue.
Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
you know i have to admit i almost never clean my mags.. i did it once and realized they just dont get as dirty as you might think..

i take a q-tip or a papertowel and clean up the excess but generlaly speaking the follower usually the only thing i need to wipe off.

the 1k round schedule might be a good rule of thumb.. i just clean them when they look like they need cleaned and not before.

·
Super Moderator
21,805 Posts
My XD mags 1k or more does not seems to bother them . My pt1911 mags are crap and I've replaced them with Novak or Chip McCormick. Taurus mags have weak springs bad followers and cause a lot of nose dives my expirence.

·
22,058 Posts
This would depend on your enviroment. If you have a day at the range when the weather is humid or light rain it might be a good idea to take them apart and wipe them down.

If I shoot an outside IPSC match where I am doing reloads and dropping the mags in the grass or dirt the mags get cleaned.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I asked the question is I was at the range Saturday and one of my P11 mags would take about 5 shells and then the follower would stick and if the mag was turned upside down the shells would fall out. There was some brass filings in there and I've noticed that before when I cleaned it. This is the second time it's happened.

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
airwrench said:
This would depend on your enviroment. If you have a day at the range when the weather is humid or light rain it might be a good idea to take them apart and wipe them down.

If I shoot an outside IPSC match where I am doing reloads and dropping the mags in the grass or dirt the mags get cleaned.
+1 on that. I will also do what I call a "Partial Cleaning" of my magazines about every 300 rounds, which consists of pinning the Follower with a nail or pop rivet, thru the magazine latch hole, and cleaning only the upper third of the magazine. I will do a complete disassembly and cleaning every 1000 rounds or whenever I feel it's necessary.

·
Super Moderator
21,805 Posts
I had it happen to me to airwrench and the spring was bound in the mag I pulled it out and it was doubled over on itself and stuck. I comparred it to my Novack spring and ther is a major difference in quality. Save yourself the hassle and buy better mags.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Because I often shoot a tactical course, my mags spend a bit of time on the ground, dirt, mud, snow, rain, or whatever. When that is the case, I clean them every time I shoot that kind of course.

If I'm just target shooting or plinking with no "oh shit" reloads, I may skip cleaning them.

·
Super Moderator
21,805 Posts
I called Taurus CS and they said they had a few problems with there 1911 mags and to send them into be replaced. they were vary polite so lets see about the turn around time i'm glade I have extra mags.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
not very often, though i should. as easy as it is to get 24/7 mags apart and back together, there really is no reason i don't do it more often.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I clean mine every time, I do what I can by hand, then hit it with a blast of the Birchwood Casey Syn. safe spray, then a lite lube of non oil spray. Maybe over kill but never had a FTF.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
After a shooting session I give all my mags a healthy blast of Gun Scrubber through the witness holes and straight down below the follower. I do a full disassembly around every 2500 rounds with my Glock and XD mags and around 1500 rounds with all others.

·
Registered
846 Posts
NYPD better safe than sorry, glad to see I ain't the only clean nut, lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't clean my magazines very often but when my PT145 started giving me feeding problems it was my magazines. After I cleaned them I didn't have any more problems.
Terry

·
Registered
846 Posts
TnTut, nice to see someone use their head.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts