Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, folks. We gotta talk. I bought a used Millenium Pro PT145 the other day and was astonished when I broke it down and started to clean it. Now I always break down my new guns and clean them so they know that they're gonna get good care from their new owner. The fondling also makes me more aware of the needed points of lubrication and some idiosyncrasies of the particular breed of machine. Which brings me to the subject of my little tome...............

I thought that the use of Bear Grease and Oxen Fat had long ago been stopped. I know now why this gun was turned in to the Pawn shop, It was too full of rancid tallow like globules of cruddy grease to actually operate. I would rack the slide and it would leisurely move back toward the breechface.

Now after liberal dosing with Gunscrubber and swabbing with patch after patch. It has approached a modicum of cleanliness. In fact, the interior is gleaming. Now for my "Secret Touch"........... Spray all interior surfaces liberally with Strikehold and let dry for 30 to 40 minutes. Wipe lightly with a clean microfiber cloth and Voila'. Perfect preparation for it's purpose in life. Protection of mine!!!!

I went through this whole spiel to emphasize one fact. If your gun is so filled with crud it cannot operate properly, what'cha gonna do when you need it?????? Proper maintenance is just that, proper and necessary to protect your LIFE.

Dads, teach your children the proper maintenance and care of the machinery that may save their life!

Bill

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Couldn't agree more! Many of the issues with Taurus and other pistols from other manufacturers stem from failure thoroughly clean the weapon immediately after purchase and before the first trip to the range.

Sent using TapaTalk HD

·
Super Moderator
41,359 Posts
I bought my PT 145 used also and it was pretty clean when I took possession. After a couple of hundred rounds I began getting light strikes and did a bit of research. I learned that I had to detail strip the slide and clean out that FP channel...viola, problem corrected.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
676 Posts
R.Ph380 - Thanks...will do.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
From what you described (Ugh!), I'd venture to say that the pistol had never been taken down to clean out the packing grease (cosmoline?) that Taurus uses to keep their products from rusting during the long trip from South America.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
When they're still extra gunked up, no matter the brand, I get really liberal (sorry, bad choice in words) with the Hoppe's #9 and let it soak in for a while to loosen that crap up.then I give it a heavy spray down with non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner to blast off what I can before scrubbing everything with Hoppe's. Then I'll run the patches through the bore, give a wipedown with CLP, lube moving parts with Tetre Gun Grease and reassemble. I figure if it worked on my 75 year old Mosin-Nagant, it should work well on everything else.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
From what you described (Ugh!), I'd venture to say that the pistol had never been taken down to clean out the packing grease (cosmoline?) that Taurus uses to keep their products from rusting during the long trip from South America.
Sounds right.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've always enjoyed cleaning my guns. To me it's part of the hobby and sport. Now there are so many good gun products out there that it's a much faster job than before and much better lubes too.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Gun cleaning to me is the most relaxing thing. :) I enjoy it more than shooting.

Also, from my limited experience. A clean gun (almost) never fails. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My PT140, purchased new, had what resembled white lithium grease in the slide.
The interesting thing to me, which I'm sure causes a lot of the problems with new owners is right in Taurus owners manual. The very first sentence in the "Care & Maintenance" section states "The firearm may be cleaned and lubricated under normal conditions WITHOUT the need for any disassembly.

This even caused an argument with my wife because I insisted she learn how to remove the slide on her PT111 for cleaning. She was convinced I was gonna break her gun, or void the warranty because of what the manual said. I finally had to show her the Taurus instructional video to convince her I was right!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
This even caused an argument with my wife because I insisted she learn how to remove the slide on her PT111 for cleaning. She was convinced I was gonna break her gun, or void the warranty because of what the manual said. I finally had to show her the Taurus instructional video to convince her I was right!
That was actually one of my first posts here. If you need to break it down or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When they're still extra gunked up, no matter the brand, I get really liberal (sorry, bad choice in words) with the Hoppe's #9 and let it soak in for a while to loosen that crap up.then I give it a heavy spray down with non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner to blast off what I can before scrubbing everything with Hoppe's. Then I'll run the patches through the bore, give a wipedown with CLP, lube moving parts with Tetre Gun Grease and reassemble. I figure if it worked on my 75 year old Mosin-Nagant, it should work well on everything else.
These Taurus pistols do come packed in an astounding amount of grease! With my Mosin Nagant, I put it in a black trash bag and set it out in 105° weather for about 20 minutes. The grease just wiped right off after that!

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
These Taurus pistols do come packed in an astounding amount of grease! With my Mosin Nagant, I put it in a black trash bag and set it out in 105° weather for about 20 minutes. The grease just wiped right off after that!
I cleaned mine on the front porch at night after driving back from West Virginia, so I didn't have the benefit of the sun. Luckily the only heavily soiled areas were in the stock of course and inside of the bolt. It looked like the firing pin was floating in Crisco, I didn't know if I should clean it out with my normal procedure or just scoop it out and put it into a pie crust.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I cleaned mine on the front porch at night after driving back from West Virginia, so I didn't have the benefit of the sun. Luckily the only heavily soiled areas were in the stock of course and inside of the bolt. It looked like the firing pin was floating in Crisco, I didn't know if I should clean it out with my normal procedure or just scoop it out and put it into a pie crust.
you don't use Crisco for pie crust you use lard. Everyone knows that.

Reactions: Dennis2477
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.