Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never owned a handgun until now, so ive never been responsible for cleaning or maintaining one. I could use a little help please.

I found this Otis Cleaning Kit (link below) on ebay and it seems to be a pretty decent price. It says it is designed for a M9 Pistol. I dont see what makes it different from a regular 9mm cleaning kit.
What makes it specific to the M9?
And if there is any difference, will this be ok to use for my PT809?

Otis Military M9 Pistol Handgun 9mm Cleaning System Kit 1005 01 528 7843 MOLLE | eBay

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
That kit will do, but do yourself a favor and take a look at Wal-Mart or other places around you that sell gun cleaning kits. Try to find one that covers several different calibers instead of one that just covers the 9MM. When I bought my first one, I only had a .45 handgun and some rifles too. Since then, I have added 3 more calibers of handguns and I didn't have to go buy more stuff. I already had it! They can usually be had for about the same amount of money. Just my two cents worth!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would agree that you would be better served getting a universal kit. The kit will have all the basic items needed for most firearms. You can always add a brush or 2 at a later date as your collection expands....and you know it will!

·
Super Moderator
40,552 Posts
I agree with the universal kits, also make sure it has extra sections in the cleaning rod for the day you get a rifle or shot gun. Basic universal kits are usually available at a decent price at places like Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I like the hoppes bore snakes, but then I am kind of lazy.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I second the vote on the bore snake. They are really nice and I have a couple of them. Quick and do a really good job.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I started with a small kit. Added pieces/parts as needed. Keep it all in a $9 WalMart fishing tackle box.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts

·
5,686 Posts
Jim beat me to it. I have a bore snake now in every caliber we own. I don't miss screwing around with little patches and changing the brushes every time I switch to a different firearm. I'm done with rods! My cleaning bag is smaller now too. Bore cleaner, bore snake, brass brush, oil and a silicone cloth.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have this one:
Remington Universal Fast Snap 2.0 Gun Cleaning Kit 12802719D - Reviews & Prices @ Yahoo! Shopping
Works on all my guns; pistols and long guns as well. Same concept as Otis. Has everything you can possibly need to clean all of your guns!
I paid $40 for it at GM a year ago. I actually bought 2 one for home and one for camp. I love this set-up.
I looked at that one before but several people in the reviews said that the brushes are too long for use in a handgun. Not real sure how thats possible, unless you try to clean the barrel without removing the slide first?

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I saw one last night at Walmart for $9 in a wood box, had everything you need.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
The universal kits are great starters, but if you ever get a 22 you'll want to replace the plastic tip that usually comes with those with a metal one. Mine were always getting stripped (threads) and coming off.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Good place to trot this question out, I guess - what are opinions on the teflon-based lubes out there. Is the "milspec endorsed" G-96 stuff any better than RemOil, etc.?
I've just been using Hoppe's gun lube, wanted to know other viewpoints.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I do not like remoil, I have had rust form on weapons using remoil. It seems ok with weekly reapplication but that is not good enough for me. Once bitten and all.

CLP seems better than remoil.

I like Slip 2000™ - EWL works great smells great and non toxic.

Edited to add - I used remoil for years until the rust problems.

·
Super Moderator
27,003 Posts
Jim beat me to it. I have a bore snake now in every caliber we own. I don't miss screwing around with little patches and changing the brushes every time I switch to a different firearm. I'm done with rods! My cleaning bag is smaller now too. Bore cleaner, bore snake, brass brush, oil and a silicone cloth.
I object vehemently to your comment!

·
Super Moderator
27,003 Posts
I saw one last night at Walmart for $9 in a wood box, had everything you need.
Don't buy it!

If you ever have to replace a brush....threads will not fit!
Buy the Winchester all in one, think about $19?????
I have a big plastic tote that we throw in the back of the van when we go shooting. ALL it has is cleaning supplies and a few rags, bore snakes for each caliber and a bottle of ammonia windex for the Moisin. Plus a few tools, new carburettor for the van, roll of toilet paper, emergency blanket, Gas can with 2 galls of regular a few MRE's...the usual!

·
Super Moderator
27,003 Posts
Kidding for some of the last post!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts