Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a very active shooter. Since my pt111 followed me home at the end of September I've put about 75 rounds through it.

Now I'm curious how often do others clean theirs?
100 rounds?
Every trip to the range?
Monthly for EDC?

How extensive do you go? Just the field strip level or all the way down to the firing pin?

So far I field striped and cleaned once at about 20 rounds and then today at work because it's slow and I'm bored (75 rounds).

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
I usually clean it after every trip to the range, but I'll fire 200 rounds or so each trip. Just a field strip, I don't do the firing pin unless I have a misfire on a range gun, or every 1,000 rounds with a carry gun. EDC's get a once over lightly every month, and cleaned if fired.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I usually field strip and clean after ever range trip, which is usually no less that 100 rounds. I don't completely breakdown unless I have an FTF/FTE or every thousand or so rounds.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I field strip after every trip to the range or firing of a gun. About once a year or sooner if having a problem such as fails to fire etc I will strip it further checking parts etc and give it a complete cleaning and lube, replacing any worn parts in the process. Some guns I have owned I can't do myself so will have a gun shop do those but haven't had one of those in years now being able to do minor part repairs and complete breakdowns on all I have at the moment.

·
Registered
676 Posts
HA! I clean my gun every day!....I haven't fired it once yet! Maybe I'm bored or I can't find 9mm ammo? I just go "bang! bang! bang!" woooo..I better clean it now. :cool:

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Every time I shoot, except my Ruger MKII. That thing is a pain in the a$$ and I only clean it about once a year.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
PT-145 gets field stripped and cleaned after every range trip. My EDC gets cleaned every Sunday evening unless it was cleaned Saturday following a range trip.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
30,024 Posts
Since my life and the life of family & friends depend on them working when called upon to defend our hides....

My self defense guns get cleaned after every range session.

Anything that is meant as a "Life Saver" shouldn't be haphazardly maintained. :icon_ nono:

Such as...brakes, tires, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers etc. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I field strip and clean after every range trip. If I do not get to make it out then I lightly clean my EDC monthly (this only happened once).

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
If it's been fired I clean it. My EDC pistol's get rotated and at the end of their rotation I clean it fired or not....

·
Registered
327 Posts
A thorough clean after every range trip. I don't take down the firing pin, though. I never needed to.

If a carry pistol doesn't get taken to the range, a good cleaning every two weeks is good for me. I do a daily wipedown with an oiled cloth.

·
Registered
251 Posts
HA! I clean my gun every day!....I haven't fired it once yet! Maybe I'm bored or I can't find 9mm ammo? I just go "bang! bang! bang!" woooo..I better clean it now. :cool:

LOL, I'm with you!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Two schools of thought...

1. If a firearm is so finicky so as to require being kept clean all the time in order to be relied upon, I don't want it. Reality is that most firearms do funtion just fine even if not cleaned or lubed religiously.

2. Recognizing #1 above as true, even if frequent cleaning and proper lubing raises the reliability from 99.5% to 99.9%, it is well worth the effort.

I clean after each range session mostly because I would soon lose track of which of my firearms need cleaning when. This way, they are all in the same ready state.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Btw, these days, I favor pistols that be easily taken down beyond the basic field strip. For example, all the striker fired pistols have easily accessed firing channels. A lot of 1911 style pistols and CZ clones are the same way. OTOH, some hammer fire guns require punching out roll pin(s) and even removal of dovetailed rear sight to get at the FP.

I clean the FP every time on pistols like the G2 because it's so easy to get to. I now research how well a firearm is to detail strip before finalizing a decision to buy.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.