Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys go about cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo in a rifle?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I spray windex down the barrel from the breach end and then push a patch through the bore and then repeat it.

Then clean the bore with hoppes #9 .

Make sure to wipe off the boltface with the windex.

Some people just use hot water instead of windex . Water is what dissolves the corrosive salts.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I spray windex down the barrel from the breach end and then push a patch through the bore and then repeat it.

Then clean the bore with hoppes #9 .

Make sure to wipe off the boltface with the windex.

Some people just use hot water instead of windex . Water is what dissolves the corrosive salts.

I bought a ham can of 7.62.54R corrosive for my Moisin and my Tokarev rifles.

If you use hot water, hot SOAPY water is best. Just be sure to follow up to make sure that the bore is dry and clean.

If you use window cleaner, make sure it is the Window cleaner with AMMONIA. I bought some Ammonia based window cleaner from the dollar store and it destroys the corrosive salts. I then follow up with Hoppes or BoreScrubber Foam, and the bore is sparkling clean.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I use Sweet's 7.62 to clean the barrel, gas tube, bolt and bolt carrier assembly on my AK. I then use glass cleaner with ammonia to clean the dust cover, inside of the action and the outside of the rifle.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ammonia will not dissolve the salts its the water thats doing the job.

Windex does have sufacants that make it evaporate quickly and thats desirable when your putting a water based liquid on steel.

And thats why I use it instead of plain water.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I use simply green on my guns be it handguns or Rossi 92 after shooting black powder which is also corrosive. Water works fine also but prefer the simply green to it. After that I dry completely then clean and lube as I normally would regardless of ammo shot.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've thought of simple green, I've always heard spray it down with windex to but I wasn't sure if stuff like that orange degresser or simple green would work as well to.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I also use windex soaked patches until thhey come out clean, followed by regular cleanning and oiling.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Use Windex then regular cleaning

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Sweet's 7.62, Hoppe's No. 9, and several other cleaners will, as advertised, clean corrosive salts. The ammonia in Windex reacts with the salts. The idea is to get the powder residue, copper fouling, AND the salts that are hidden in, and below, them out of the gun before they can combine with moisture to cause rust.

How fast this occurs depends mostly upon the humidity of the area that you're shooting in. This is why so many people use the Windex, as it's harder to carry hot, soapy, water to the range than a small bottle of ammoniated Windex. We went out shooting early one Sunday morning in Maryland. A cold snap had dropped the temps to about 10 degrees. There were four of us, all with SKS and AK47 type rifles, and we banged off two cases of ammo before the cold drove us in. Magazines were loaded while sitting in a warm pick-up. After the drive home, with a stop for breakfast, we arrived at one of the shooter's homes, and decided to clean the guns. It had been about three hours since we had finished shooting, and the guns had been sitting in the truck while we ate.

EVERY one of the guns had a light coating of reddish corrosion in their barrels, on the bolts, and in the gas systems. It wiped off readily, but the sudden warm temps of the cab had cause moisture to form on, and in, the guns. The corrosive salts had already started eating into the metal. After that, I've always made it a habit to wipe the bolt, and clean out the bore, at a minimum, while still at the range.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Because of everything said here I don't shoot corrosive ammo anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Right after shooting I spray rem oil down the bore if i have it or just water and run a bore snake down the barrel. I clean the bolt / slide face and do a normal cleaning after I get home. I can be lazy and do it with in 3 days or so. I don't live in a very humid area so I don't have problems.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Good info guys, I haven't shot either of my corrosive ammo shooting guns yet and I wasn't sure how to take care of them properly :) I'm not so much worried about my CIA Tantal, I'm about a mousefart from just not even worrying if I have a good one or a bad one and just putting it on gunbroker and being done with it... and getting a decent AK74 from a more reputable builder... but I have a Cugir PSL54c that is pretty much like my baby. What I thought of doing is making up a bottle of Hoppies some windex and simple green and spraying down the rifles when I get done and kinda cleaning them out with a rag at the range right there, here in Ohio it's pretty damn humid and while the Tantal I about could run it over with a truck and not care about the PSL on the other hand I would be pissed if I ruined it.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
If you're shooting a semi-auto, be sure to clean out the gas system, quickly, as well. It isn't hard to do, but it does have to be done.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Corrosive ammo is the reason the military used to do three cleanings on a weapon prior to storage. Personally I refuse to run corrosive ammo through my weapons. To much clean stuff around, and it doesn't cost that much more than the surplus stuff. For my money the best way to clean corrosive ammo residue is not to put it in your firearms to begin with.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Around here, 7.62x54R commercial, non-corrosive, ammo runs around about $10.00 per box of 20. Surplus 7.62x54R runs about $80.00 per 440 round can. You do the math.

7.62x25, when you can find it commercially, goes for about $18.00 per box of 50. Until recently, I was paying $125.00 per thousand round of surplus. Again, the math doesn't support the "almost as cheap" thought.

7.62x39 commercial ammo is going for $4.50 per 20 rounds. Bulgarian surplus is running $150.00 per 700 rounds. That's actually close, but, 7.62x39 is rapidly growing less abundant in surplus. I have 1000 round cases that ran $112.50. I even have some old Chinese Army surplus, on strippers, that ran $125.00 for a case of 1100 rounds.

To me, one who cleans his guns anyway, the additional step of spraying Windex down the bore, and wiping it out, at the range, seems inconsequential. The savings, on the other hand, don't. :)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I happened to wonder how does stainless hold up to corrosive ammo? I know it will still rust but as quickly as "standard" steel?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have two spam cans of corrosive 7.62x54R sitting under my bed. I haven't shot any of it yet. I can find (knock on wood) Brown Bear non-corrosive for about $7/20 rounds. I figure as long as I can find the non-corrosive stuff for that cheap, I won't shoot the corrosive surplus stuff. If ammo gets more expensive, or hard to find, I'll pop open the spam cans. Personally, I just shoot 20-40 rounds per range trip, and I'd rather pay a few more dollars to not worry about corrosion.

After seeing my buddy's rusted-over M44, I just don't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would just do a regular GOOD cleaning.
THIS +1. I had many russian milsurps over the years and never had issues with corrosive ammo as long as i cleaned them good. Living in dry socal doesnt hurt either, but either way....just make sure to attend to your gun asap and clean it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts