Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loading 223 question:

I have one vibratory cleaner with media in it. Will it be an issue to use the same tumbler and media to clean the cases after trimming and lubing and all that that I use for all other cleaning operations? I just want to make sure I don't screw up all my cases by putting lanolin coated cases in my cleaner. I assume I will have the change the media more often doing so?

Translation, I will clean before resizing, lube resize and do case prep, clean again, load. I am wondering if I am screwing up the media by cleaning the lanolin coated cases in the same media as I do all my other cleaning with.

Also, 15minutes okay to get that lanolin off?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I don't do the second vibration cleaning. If you are concerned about contaminating your media with lanolin, just keep an extra bucket of media on hand. One is for normal cleaning and the second is for cleaning the lanolin off. The plastic mop buckets at the dollar store are perfect to dump and store media in.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I will use the same media and just make sure to change it out. That shouldn't hurt I would think.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
IF you use a water based lubricant then thats not even a concern.
I lube, resize/deprime, then tumble/ reload, no problems yet.
Rifle VS pistol reloads are way in favor of pistol and so thats my main concern and all my pistol dies are carbide.
not that big of a cost to use the water basd stuff for me.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I think I will use the same media and just make sure to change it out. That shouldn't hurt I would think.
The lanolin in the media will coat the inside of the brass cases. Over time, that lanolin may react with the powder in your reloaded cases. I'm just saying that I don't know what issues, if any, lanolin and powder will create.... Do your research and Be careful my friend...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the same as Hornady One Shot. Just a homemade brew of iso and lanolin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts