Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use old fashion cleaning rods with mops, jags, and a Hoppes Tornado brush. (Hoppes 9 and Either Rem oil or Hoppes Elite.) With my revolvers, it is a pain to put the rod in the barrel and attach the mop and pull. Jags have to go in the other way. I have thought about buying a cord, but I can't find "just the cord". I am considering buying snakes, but then I would need :20ga, 9mm, .30cal, &.22 That is 4 snakes.

Have you found a better way?

Administrator
Snakes are the way to go. I just started using one recently. When I go to town sometime, I'm buying more! :thumb:

Hoppe's brand by the way. I don't know anything about the others.

Reactions: leftcoastrebel

Banned
What Smoke said!!

Registered
I have the snakes. They are awesome!

You could shoot 500 rounds, then pull the Boresnake through twice and the barrel looks like it was laser polished.

Reactions: AOCM.RET

Registered
Boresnakes rock!!!

Registered
I love the one I have for .22/.223, need to get a few more. Easiest way to quick clean a gun without having to go to full breakdown. Especially if you're like me and have a set number of rounds before doing a full cleaning.

Registered
I am considering buying snakes, but then I would need :20ga, 9mm, .30cal, &.22 That is 4 snakes.
I have 9 snakes and need 2 more, for my 7mm handgun and rifles and my 45 handguns and carbine.
I currently have,
37mm
12 ga
6.5mm
and

Registered

Registered
They clean the barrel - - right?! ;)

Registered
I like the good words - and I've been eyeing them for years.
It sounds like they do a darn good job on the barrell in very little time.

Depending on the pistol, rifle or shotgun though - there is a lot more of the gun to clean, yes?!

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

Registered
I like the good words - and I've been eyeing them for years.
It sounds like they do a darn good job on the barrell in very little time.

Depending on the pistol, rifle or shotgun though - there is a lot more of the gun to clean, yes?!
yes of course--But!
for years I cleaned a weapon everytime that I fired it, the entire weapon.
the last several years I now pretty much only clean the barrel/chamber, seldom do I break the entire weapon down or even clean the internals except for every 600-700 or so plus rounds.
I find that in my particular weapons that doesn't effect reliability , function, nor accuracy.
so the bore snakes work for me.
I also do a visual inspection of parts for wear / breakage etc .

Registered
I love the snakes but the wife decided we needed to go all out with a complete Otis kit. I use it quite a bit and it's not bad, but certainly not as handy as a boresnake.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They clean the barrel - - right?! ;)
Yea, the rods work, but keeping the tornado brush moving in the bullet direction requires you to first insert the rod, then attach the tornado, and pull. Then repeat. It gets to be fun with smaller snubbies. That's why I am looking to make a change. was resisiting bying snakes, because I would have to buy a snake for each caliber, but I can't find just a pull cord buy itself. I guess I will probably try a snake. Evryone seams to really like them.

Registered
I've never tried the snakes, I guess I'm just too old school. Mine get a bubble bath after EVERY trip, regardless of the number of rounds I put through them. I use the brass brushes and cleaning patches for most of mine. It's a nice relaxing way to spend the day after a range trip. Maybe I'll try the snakes some day, seems like they have a following among the TA members.

Reactions: CaptREDD
1 - 17 of 17 Posts