Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The stainless steel slide on my 12 year old (but new-to-me) PT145 is tarnished and dingy, with small spots of shiny on the sides near the muzzle (holster wear?). What is the best way to clean or polish the slide after removing it from the frame?

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
I use "Mother's Mag Polish" and a T-Shirt or felt polishing wheel & Dremel tool depending on which area of the gun I'm working on.

I use the Dremel and felt wheel to polish a mirror finish on the barrel's feed ramp & chamber (if it needs it).

For the sides of the slide it's better to go slow by hand using an old T-Shirt of cotton baby diaper if you can find one nowadays.:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use Mothers as well, but Flitz is good stuff if you can find it around your or want to buy it online. I couldn't find a dealer around, and had Mothers already (also easily available at most autozone/advancedautoparts) which made my descision easy. Actually I bought some at the store and only realized after I got home I had a 1/2 jar left over from years ago on my shelf.

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
Be careful using Gun Scrubber...it removed the red paint from both the safety dot and the loaded chamber indicator on mine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just realized you are talking about the coating on the slide, not the actual barrel. Lots of elbow grease will be needed, maybe some super fine sandpaper as well.

You could try soda blasting it, which would probably work well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts