Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Chronyed my .44 - surprisingly LOW velocity readings

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  NativeTexan 
#1 ·
I chronyed a couple of loads shot thu my Raging Bull and have to say I'm a bit surprised at how low the velocity readings were :-\

load 1
23gr of H110 befind 245gr copper plated bullet, WLP
Avg. velocity = 1103fps ??? I was expecting around 1450-1550fps.

load 2
10gr of Herco befind 245gr copper plated bullet, WLP
Avg. vel = 790fps :eek: turned out to be a .44SPL load; I was expacting 1100fps min! Alinat lists 805fps from 7.7gr using 246gr L bullet

Are those the number I would likely get from any 6in gun or is (my) Raging Bull produces lower than normal velocities?

#4 ·
Are you sure your chronograph is reading properly? Shoot something known over it to test. I would think what you were expecting would be likely considering that's a pretty warm load.

#6 ·
More crimp will increase pressures, but you won't see anything dramatic, don't think. I've never played with that, though. I don't shoot .44 mag. Buddy had a super blackhawk and loads W296 in it with good results. H110 is normally listed as a good powder, though. Might try some AA#9, great powder for heavy .357 loads. I load 2400 in my .45 Colt for heavy .44 mag equivalent loads, but the .44 doesn't do as well with 2400 as with 296 as I recall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.