Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I joined a while back anticipating a purchase of a Taurus semi-auto pistol. I have since held five different pistols in their line-up.

PT111 and PT140. Nice and small. Easy controls. But, the grip is almost to small for my hands. I have bigger than average hands.

PT145, 24/7 in .45, and the new PT909. All three of these feel awesome. My problem is that the 24/7 feels best. It is not a big pistol, none of them are. I now want all three. I am upgrading from a East German Makarov that I have carried for a long time.

This will be an all the time carry gun. Sometimes I wear my .40 High Power to Church. Sometimes I wear my Springer .45. I like wearing both. I need to know if the PT909 is carried by anyone and if you find it easy to carry? Is the 24/7 carried comfortably by anyone?

Thanks for any replies.

Noot

·
Registered
61 Posts
Loved the 1911, but found it too large for my idea of concealed carry. Opted instead for the 24/7 pro in .45. Depending on where I'm at and what I'm wearing, it works well IWB or in a paddle. I do wonder, however, if I'd like it even better with ribber grips! To answer your question directly though . . . . buy them all ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks oldscot. I think that the 24/7 will work good for me. I am not a huge fan of the ribber grip, which is what draws me to the .45. I am leaning heavily towards that right now.

Regards,
Noot

·
32,790 Posts
You folks have the right idea. What fits, feels right, and meets the owner's needs is what to go with.

Do realize that the 9mm. is cheaper to shoot and to control. Not by much, but has to be considered. Both the .45ACP and 9mm. do have excellent documented stopping defense records. They both do so in different ways. So the choice is up to the individual.

Since the 24/7 seems to fit the bill, why not go with it? The 911 or it's brethren would be second choices if they fit you.

24/7 and the 911 do have different methods and techniques of firing. The first is more like firing a revolver with a lighter and long trigger pull.

The 911 is a double action first shot and then reverts to a light single action pull for each shot after. This pistol also has a decocker safety lever that takes some getting used to. Practice and experience would get one up to speed on using the decocker/safety.
And if you want a larger bore there are the .40S&W -940 and the 945.
If one is recoil sensitive then go with the 9mm.If not,any of the calibers will do.

If in doubt, get a 9mm. first, and then graduate to the larger calibers later is so desired.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Get them all but I'd start with the PT111. You can add a hogue slip on grip that will increase the diameter of the grip (its easy to increase the size, real hard to decrease the size). Or I'd go with the PT145 and skip the 9mm if you don't have anything in that caliber around.

Either of them will be easy to carry everyday. Plus with the reduced grip length it'll make life easier as well.

Oh, don't sell your EG makarov as I'm sure you would regret it. I've got one (and there are a few makarov fans around here) and it's still a back-up carry gun. The value on these just seems to keep going up.

Steelheart

·
Registered
625 Posts
OK, I'll be the voice of reason here. I see no reason to own more than one of the Mil Pro PT series. Pick either the PT111, the PT140, or the PT145 based on which ammo/round you prefer. The 9mm will be cheaper, but I don't really count the Mil Pro PT series as a range gun per-se. It's more of a CC weapon, although it is also fun at the range. So, for me, I prefer the PT145 (or the PT140) since the .40 and .45 may (and I use this lightly) be more effective for defence.

If you primarily want a carry gun, I would opt for the Mil Pro PT first. Then, pick up the 24/7 for some fun at the range, or for home protection. Then get the 1911. Then some revolvers of various types.

Todd

·
Registered
128 Posts
Blasphemy! Just kidding. Actually my goal is to get a PT140 b/c it's supposed to be a little smaller/thinner than the PT145 and I current own .40's but no .45's. I can live with just one. But I want to check out the 24/7's in compact to compare width, length, etc; not to mention waiting on the Missouri PTA sheriff-may-I purchase system to go away this August.

BoneDigger said:
OK, I'll be the voice of reason here. I see no reason to own more than one of the Mil Pro PT series. Pick either the PT111, the PT140, or the PT145 based on which ammo/round you prefer. The 9mm will be cheaper, but I don't really count the Mil Pro PT series as a range gun per-se. It's more of a CC weapon, although it is also fun at the range. So, for me, I prefer the PT145 (or the PT140) since the .40 and .45 may (and I use this lightly) be more effective for defence.

If you primarily want a carry gun, I would opt for the Mil Pro PT first. Then, pick up the 24/7 for some fun at the range, or for home protection. Then get the 1911. Then some revolvers of various types.

Todd

·
32,790 Posts
I agree with Bone Digger. Since it was posted by the original thread starter that 24/7 fit, that is why the recommendation in that direction. A compact 24/7 Pro with the 3.33 inch barrel for CCW carry and Standard 24/7 with the 4 inch barrel for other occasions. Best of both worlds.

Controls on the gun and manual of arms are the same. Simplfies things. Yes I am aware of the PT Mil/pro and 24/7 lineage. Yes, the small one can double as a house gun as well.

However,the full size pistols are easier to shoot and hit with under stress under most conditions.

Starting with the full size and then getting the smaller one later might work out better if you are new to shooting in any way. Getting basics down, experience, and practice are paramount before going on to anything else.

I agree with BD on the fact that only one Millenium Pro model is needed. Otherwise too many variables enter the picture. If you feel like getting other Millenium Pros later, that is up to you, but there is no need to at this point in time. There are other Taurus products to try as well as other makes and models by other makers.

All this could be in the future.

One does not dive into the shallow end of the swimming pool. One immerses themselves into the water gradually. ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the replies to my dilemma (if I can call it that). I am mostly a .45 person because I handload it some. The only other pistol dies I have are 10mm.

Anyway, the 24/7 is the same width as the Milpro PT145. I guess that all I want is the "right" taurus for the money. I can get both for pretty good prices. I went and held a PT 909 today in SS. Very nice pistol, good price from my FFL who I usually use (held it at Gander Mtn...they have HIGH prices!). Felt a little to large in the grip, but I will have this gun soon.

So I have discarded that one and will pick either a PT145 or 24/7 next week and have it sent to my FFL. Then holster selection, and I am set. Plenty of ammo for a break in as well.

I can get .40 for next to nothing, so that may be my next caliber. I was going to buy more than one, but Bonedigger set me straight. ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am just going for the "Buy Them All" options, as I am now up to something like 7 Taurus and 1 Rossi 22 pump rifle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Church???

Good info and comments from the moderators.

To add another into the mix, you might consider the (new?) Taurus 809B-9mm; it has exposed hammer (I like), ambi-safety (I don't need), and de-cocker (I don't like); not sure of price or availability.

I have 24/7 and PT111, both 9mm. I generally prefer an exposed hammer (I KNOW when it is cocked), but can obviously live with non-exposed hammer/striker.

(If you find it necessary to carry in church, you might consider changing churches - maybe FROM one where they emphasize "an eye for an eye", TO a church that emphasizes "do unto others...". Be sure to sit in the back row of pews in either case.).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ToroTrigger,
Thanks for the comments. I really like that 809B, but I don't think they are available yet. I would like to handle one very much. As for church, let me be clear that I am no bible thumper, just go sometimes with the family. The reason I carry there is because I legally can. Also, a neighbors daughter was killed in a church shooting in Milwaukee about two years ago. So since I am at church with my family occasionaly, I pack. I simply don't trust anyone anymore. Heck, I think about putting a piece in a lunch bag when I shower. ;)

Noot

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the best buys right now are the MilPro and the PT1911. Excellent price for excellent guns. Get a PT145MilPro for $340+/- and a PT1911 for $550+/-. There you go. You will have an excellent range gun in the 1911 and an excellent CCW in the PT145 and still only use one caliber that you reload. Problem solved. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.