Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to read all the reviews and I think I'm more confused than ever. Some say they run HydraShoks through their PT145 and have no problems. Others say they have ejections problems. I happened across the most thorough guide from what I can tell and they mostly used Hornady. It seemed in this article that he had the best success with the 200 grain Hornady XTP rounds(didn't specify +P or not) and the 185 round FTX(which all I can find are the zombie z-max gimmicky kind). Now I found some 200 round XTP Hornady's but they were +P which the manual says aren't recommend. Do they make the 200 grain non +p or if they don't would I be fine with the +P. I want the best ammo for my gun for my personal defense. I'll shoot the cheap stuff at the range but I want the best stopping power the quickest. What do you guys run and what do you recommend if I was to go with the Hornady rounds. And what's the difference between the XTP and FTX rounds other than grain count and a slightly different size tip. Advantages disadvantages. Sorry for all the questions just this is my first carry weapon and I want to do it right.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
I use the Corbon PowRball ammo, 165 grain +P. I use this because I know it will expand from a short barreled gun like the PT145. It has a polymer ball that forces the jacket to expand and mushroom.....not a 'true' hollowpoint but the same result.

Truthfully, hollowpoint ammo has advanced to the point where it probably doesn't matter much what you use. Most bullet designs are tried and true, and will expand when called upon.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
It IS a .45 ... any decent hollow point (or equivalent) that feeds and cycles reliably in your PT145 would be adequate for SD purposes. On one extreme is the Grizzly Xtreme 175gr .45 +P load that opens on impact like a banana peel and completely flattens (about $50 per box)

45 Auto +P 175gr Xtreme

45autop-175gr-xtreme-lg.jpg

I carry a law enforcement load, Hornady CQ (close quarters) JHP (red box) load in my PT 145; it functions perfectly. Since it is a +P load, I only shoot it occasionally for proof of function.

Hornady : Law Enforcement | Products | 45 AUTO+P TAP CQ® - 45 AUTO+P 230 GR TAP CQ®

45-Auto-230gr-mushroom.jpg

One of my daughters (a state police officer) is issued Remington Golden Saber JHP for on and off duty carry, is not allowed to carry anything else.

For the money, there is an excellent load from FIOCCHI EXTREMA (made in USA) that functions flawlessly, and uses the well respected Hornady XTP-JHP bullet. I fired several into water filled milk jugs and the expansion was excellent. It is available in .45 with bullet weights from 175gr to 230gr.

33289.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
For all my .45 acp I carry the tried and true Federal Classic 185 JHP. Not too hot for double taps and beats the gun up, but darn good one stop shot %.

Mileage may very....

Chris

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've tried a bunch of different brands of SD ammo in my 145, and the ones I like the best are the 200 grain Speer Gold Dot +P's. I've run various rounds through my chronograph, and what I've found in the PT145 is +P very nearly makes up for the short barrel. Performance with +P is comparable to standard pressure loads from a 5" barrel - 906 fps average velocity for the gold dots. They've got a big hole in the end, and it doesn't plug up easily. Here's a couple pics of a 200 grain projectile that passed through four layers of denim, and four milk jugs. It actually poked a hole in the fifth jug, but fell back into the fourth. And they won't cost you an arm and a leg, either - I can usually find fifty round boxes for less than $30. Good ammo.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Quit worrying about "magic bullets" and go for what shoots the most reliably and the most accurate in your pistol with you shooting. When you are in the premium SD bullets, there really isn't much, if any, difference between them. Then look for a cheap cartridge to practice with that matches up with your SD cartridges.

If you reload the Hornady's look good because you can load up with the XTP, or one of its derivatives, for SD and practice with their new HAP (which is a cheaper version of the XTP for competition shooting). But again, there really isn't much difference, performance-wise between the premium SD bullets, maybe just a little tweaking for a particular goal, like one penetrates better, while the other expands quicker. Everything is a trade-off.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The thing you have to keep in mind with short barreled pistols is that you loose a lot of muzzle velocity, and most hollow point projectiles need adequate velocity to expand reliably. IIRC they need to be going at least 7-800 fps. With standard pressure 230 grain rounds you're only going to get around 730 fps at the muzzle, which is a bit on the low side for reliable expansion. The lighter bullets are going a lot faster, and so reliable expansion shouldn't be as much of an issue. Speer also makes short barrel loads with a tweaked projectile and powder charge to optimize the projectiles performance from a short barrel. Normally I would agree with GW70's comments, but that 3.25" barrel has a bearing on ammo selection. While just anything might work from a 5" barrel, it may not be the case from the shorty. As such I think it's prudent to pay a bit more attention to how you feed a PT145.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it was a 9 or a .380 I'd be very interested in bullet design, expansion, ect. HOWEVER, it's a 45 ACP my friend. A FMJ will do the job easily, and believe it or not, a lot folks carry the FMJ in a 45.

Pick any hollow point, try it out, and if it cycles fine, BAM, you're in business. Only thing I would recommend is buy 230 gr bullets.

I carry the Winchester white box 230 JHP. At $32 per box of 50, I'm happy and FMJ with identical ballistics are ever cheaper.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I think I have tried everything but Black Hills and Buffalo Bore.
I think if you just shoot a few rounds of something through your gun you may be surprised at what you can find at Walmart that works good.
I shot some cheap Remington UMC jhps through my 380 and it penetrated deeper in water jugs and opened up better than Critical defense and Fiocchi.

I am not knocking premium self defense ammo at all.....just saying that you may find something for 1/4 the price that works almost as good. In fact, once I get the chance to shoot this through some denim/water, if it works good. Then I will practice with, and carry the same bullet.

I like Corbon, Gold Dots, Fiocchi, and all the PDX's. But most are high priced, and I have to order Fiocchi. If Remington UMC will do nearly as good?- well why not?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I use the Corbon PowRball ammo, 165 grain +P. I use this because I know it will expand from a short barreled gun like the PT145. It has a polymer ball that forces the jacket to expand and mushroom.....not a 'true' hollowpoint but the same result.

Truthfully, hollowpoint ammo has advanced to the point where it probably doesn't matter much what you use. Most bullet designs are tried and true, and will expand when called upon.
This is also what I use and have never had a problem with it. Like GreenWolf said, there is no magic bullet. As you can tell from doing your research, some people have problems with some ammo while others don't. Find out what your gun likes and use it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I asked a similar question of a CorBon employee on another forum a while back. Here is his reply:

-----------------

Best Corbon product for PT 145

We have a standard pressure 160 gr DPX load that was developed specifically for shorter barreled 45 auto pistols. We shoot these side by side against the 185 gr +P DPX from a full sized gun (using a 3" barreled gun for the 160 gr load) and results in ballistic gelatin are darn near identical! The stretch cavity and penetration are indistinguishable between the 2 loads when tested like this.

PowRball would be good if you were worried about over penetration.

The 165 JHP would work also as long as the recoil/muzzle blast is workable for you from the short barrel.

I will clarify this with "In my experience", the 230 gr JHP's just don't have enough velocity to perform well when fired from very short barrels. Occasionally they will expand, but they are not comsistent expanders at all.

We have had no reports with the 160 gr 45 auto loading yet.

Mike Shovel
National Sales Manager
COR-BON/Glaser

·
Registered
119 Posts
I asked a similar question of a CorBon employee on another forum a while back. Here is his reply:

-----------------

Best Corbon product for PT 145

We have a standard pressure 160 gr DPX load that was developed specifically for shorter barreled 45 auto pistols. We shoot these side by side against the 185 gr +P DPX from a full sized gun (using a 3" barreled gun for the 160 gr load) and results in ballistic gelatin are darn near identical! The stretch cavity and penetration are indistinguishable between the 2 loads when tested like this.

PowRball would be good if you were worried about over penetration.

The 165 JHP would work also as long as the recoil/muzzle blast is workable for you from the short barrel.

I will clarify this with "In my experience", the 230 gr JHP's just don't have enough velocity to perform well when fired from very short barrels. Occasionally they will expand, but they are not comsistent expanders at all.

We have had no reports with the 160 gr 45 auto loading yet.

Mike Shovel
National Sales Manager
COR-BON/Glaser
WOW! That looks like a great short barrel .45 acp round, I will pick up a box and try it out!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I currently have Remington UMC 230gr JHP...and It is NO GOOD in our 3.25" short barrels! Apparently all JHP .45 are not created equal.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Terminal Ballistics Testing Remington UMC 45 ACP 230 Grain JHP

The UMC JHP may be just fine for my 4.5" FNX45, I need to get a load for my CCW PT145! What I want to get is
Federal Premium 45 Auto 230 Grain HST, great expansion in 3.25" .45 barrel...
Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal Testing Federal Premium 45 Auto 230 Grain HST

But I cannot find it under $1.00/rd with shipping!

Anyone have info on Winchester White Box Personal Defense 230gr JHP in the PT145???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Screw it, my life is worth $1.21 a round, that I will most likely never have to use. Ordering a box of the Federal HSTs today! :)

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Speer has their short barrel loads with their low velocity gold dots. I have some Taurus Coopers loaded with 185 grain Barnes that work well at low velocity. Lots of short barrel options. I would still go with the SD ammo that shoots the best out of my pistol. Remember these bullets start out at .45" wide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts