Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a 24/7 Pro .45 with its standard rail. What _really_ basic info do I need to buy a laser for it on a tight budget?

I have an Ace Hardware flashlight with a laser built in. It cost a lot more than the dollar store laser pointers. Should I assume it will fall apart if I attach it to my rail and shoot with it?

Is there any sure way to know ANY laser is going to hold together?

Price? I'd not trust that criterion, considering the 24/7 Pro .45 I saw in an eBay store for almost $800. How can I guarantee I'm buying right?

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
This is the one I bought (the PT92/Beretta model). I've only used it once to zero it in. I chose the "Q.D." version so I can use it on another gun, when I get one. Here's the page for the 24/7 model. You may find it cheaper than msrp at Midway, or Cheaper Than Dirt.
The models with the universal mounts are a little less.
Click here: http://www.laserlyte.com/qd_laser/smith_wesson/index.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went with the laserlyte subcompact version. Only have the 24/7 pro .45 with rails so no need to switch it to other weapons. It's small, compact, easy to actuate and fits in my Uncle Mikes IWB holster. Somewhat difficult to sight-in compared with the Crimson Trace I have on my revolvers but, when you're as near sighted as I am, well worth the effort. Bought mine at Wholesale Hunter. Do some shopping as the prices vary considerably. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Difficult to zero the layserlyte? This is what I did. I shot at the range, rested on my bag. I had drawn a circle on a piece of computer paper about the size of a baseball. I shot at 30 feet. The shots all grouped about 5 inches from the circle. When I got home, I took the mounted layser off the gun (Quick Disconnect model), and put it on a table. I turned the laser on, taped the target on a wall ( at 30 ft) with the layser pointed at my POA. Holding it steady, I took the wrench and adjusted the light to where the holes were in the paper.
I'll double check it this week, but it should be good.
When I get better, I'll re-zero it at the 45 foot line.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, at the most basic level, how does one know a good laser from one that will fall apart?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Most lasers are not really lasers. They are colored diodes (LED) commonly found in red or green with different wattage levels. More watts means more light, which means you have a better chance of seeing it in daylight, outdoors or brightly lite rooms.

Generally the more expensive a laser is the better it should be and prices can drain your wallet fast for military grade. May I ask what are you expecting or wanting your laser to do? At what range are you wanting to use it and in what kind of light (indoors or outdoors) are you planning to use it in? Also a laser is rarely the same as your point of impact, it is more of a "get you in the ball park" kind of thing".

I have purchased lasers from $19.95 to well over $700.00 in the past and although I do own a few in the $50.00 to $200.00 range still, I rarely use them. But they do look pretty on a decked out AR15 ::)

if your wanting an inexpensive laser for home protection and close range practice for 25 or less, you can get them starting around $20.00 bucks on up depending on your expectations. ebay, cheaperthandirt.com or sportsmansguide.xom are good places to look, with cheaperthandirt being the best of the 3 since they have the best return policy.

I hope I am being helpful... personally for home protection (if thats what your after), I go for a good weapon light. Some outfits like Insight have combination lights http://www.insightlights.com/products.htm

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DRAEGER said:
May I ask what are you expecting or wanting your laser to do? At what range are you wanting to use it and in what kind of light (indoors or outdoors) are you planning to use it in? Also a laser is rarely the same as your point of impact, it is more of a "get you in the ball park" kind of thing".
I'd say my interest is in low light, a few yards away, targeting.

if your wanting an inexpensive laser for home protection and close range practice for 25 or less, you can get them starting around $20.00 bucks on up depending on your expectations. ... cheaperthandirt being the best of the 3 since they have the best return policy.
Interesting. The first thing on the C-T-D page was the exact same light I got from Ace, with an 8 led white light and a center laser. It got mostly rave reviews, but there is no clue why a gun company would sell a flashlight with a built in laser, which has no rail mount. It's $8 for what I think is a great light (Ace gets $14) with a very bright laser, a point made by almost every reviewer. (the laser is real and lights trees hundreds of yards down the road.)

The next thing I looked at cost 16 times the money and got bad ratings from everybody. One said the laser was 10 inches off at 25 yards, out of the box and after zeroing went way off in only ten shots. So there goes the old "you get what you pay for" maxim.

I can make near smith quality parts so I may make a rail mount for the laser flashlight and see if it will last for ten rounds on my 24/7 Pro .45! (Maybe I'll pour epoxy around the vitals first.)

I hope I am being helpful... personally for home protection (if thats what your after), I go for a good weapon light.
Yes, quite helpful. Thanks.

Altho, I'm of the school of thought that prefers not to pinpoint my own location with a gun mounted light. I prefer the "arms length" light, flashed on for just a second at a time. No doubt a 10 man SWAT team with as many gun mounted lights would confuse the BG. (Or maybe I should get that torso sized armor plate with the light in one corner.)

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If the flashlight is about a standard 1" diameter there are a ton of different and inexspenisve mounts that will attach to a standard gun rail. I have several light mounts like the one down below and yes I know the one at CTD is currently out of stock. EBAY and sportsmanguide has the same styles.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/38037-54068-2204.html

I have a mounted light on my 24/7 45cal and a few other firearms that I have scattered through out my house simply so I know if its dark when I need my little friend I also have a light to use with it if need be. Generally I agree with you about using a light unmounted with a handgun, but different situations sometimes require different tactics as I am sure you are well aware of. I like options ;D

Make sure you post some pics of your light and rig when you get it set up. We all pictures.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DRAEGER said:
Thank you very much.

I have a mounted light on my 24/7 45cal and a few other firearms that I have scattered through out my house simply so I know if its dark when I need my little friend I also have a light to use with it if need be. Generally I agree with you about using a light unmounted with a handgun, but different situations sometimes require different tactics as I am sure you are well aware of. I like options ;D

Make sure you post some pics of your light and rig when you get it set up. We all pictures.
Options are good :)

Yeah, I'll try to remember to post pictures. The old gray matter ain't what she used to be. ;)

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DRAEGER said:
Make sure you post some pics of your light and rig when you get it set up.
The joke's on me. The laser is mounted in the flashlight so poorly that it comes nowhere near the POA. Revolving it in place I get an inscribed circle about 12 inches across at 5 yards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts