Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am proud to say that my wife and I will finally be getting our CHL's this Wednesday (she set it up as an awesome birthday gift). I plan on taking the class with and carrying my 1911 (at least initially). After packing it in the woods and seeing what it will do to a big hog or gator I feel super confident. The Taurus is a great shooter and easily my favorite gun to shoot.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Congratulation and Happy Birthday!

The PT 1911 is great, I love mine!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Congrats and Happy B-day!

My PT1911 is my go-to carry weapon. Even after picking up a 1911 commander for EDC, I still, more often than not, end up with the PT1911
hanging on my hip. :)

Reactions: PCS01 and darbo

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I carry my pt1911 in the cold months and compact citadel 1911 in summer

jhp

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats.

Do you happen to have a photo of your 1911 in its carry rig (holster)?

·
Registered
24,854 Posts
Good on ya lad. Carry safe, carry often, and carry on

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Congrats.

Do you happen to have a photo of your 1911 in its carry rig (holster)?

I have her in a cheap-as-can be Uncle Mike's Sidekick right now. I really wanted to explore my options as far as a nice piece of leather. Right now my front runners are IWB's like the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 and the Galco Summer Comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I would definitely like to hear some holster and rig suggestions from some of you folks who have carried longer.[/QUOTE
Let us know when you can carry legally. There's a sticky at the top of the concealed carry board listing holster makers. You will find lots of good ideas there as to how to carry concealed. Have fun searching!

·
Administrator
40,280 Posts
Look at, and try some of the OWB pancake holsters. :thumb: Very concealable with cover.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I have her in a cheap-as-can be Uncle Mike's Sidekick right now. I really wanted to explore my options as far as a nice piece of leather. Right now my front runners are IWB's like the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 and the Galco Summer Comfort.
Hey, the holster is reasonably priced, has a retention strap, is lightweight, and will accommodate an extra magazine. :thumb:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Uncle Mike's works great for tooling around in the woods. Super easy to wear cross-draw when driving a 4-wheeler or boat. I'm just not sure how it would hold up concealed on a long hike. Although, since I can't carry at work and most of my rec-time involves the outdoors, I can afford to spend a little time finding the right holster. And Laker, solid advice about carrying legally. I have no desire to end up in the hoosegow and I won't carry (concealed) until I have the license.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have her in a cheap-as-can be Uncle Mike's Sidekick right now.
It doesn't matter how expensive a holster is. What matters is how well it works for you!
Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you know that holster options for a 1911 are just about seem infinite...

·
Registered
867 Posts
...My PT1911 is my go-to carry weapon. Even after picking up a 1911 commander for EDC, I still, more often than not, end up with the PT1911
hanging on my hip. :)
My carry habits are very similar to yours. I bought my PT1911 first, and then added an STI Spartan III (3.5" barrel) for easier concealment and a bit less weight for everyday carry. I love both guns, but lately (even though it's summer) I've found myself carrying the PT1911 a bit more than the STI. Go figure... :icon_rolleyes: I love my Taurus and shoot it more accurately than any other handgun I've ever had the opportunity to pull the trigger on.

I would definitely like to hear some holster and rig suggestions from some of you folks who have carried longer.
I carry both of my 1911s in the same Theis IWB holster ( Theisholsters.com | Products | Custom IWB Holsters )...only one of them at any given time ;)... on an Aker leather carry belt ( Aker International, Inc. ). It's a great combination (IMO) that is very comfortable for carrying all day long. Both the holster and the belt are very well-made and have held up great so far, which has been about a year at this point. And, neither one will break the bank, at least not compared to what a lot of other quality holsters and belts are going for. I did a ton of research before deciding, and I've been extremely satisfied with both. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Congrats on the firearm and an awesome b-day gift! Your wife is a keeper!....

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I'm a big fan of Don Hume. I use their PCCH for my 1911's and my Para. I also use their 715 (both with the belt loops and clip) for several other semi autos and some revolvers. The PCCH is very similar in design to the Milt Sparks SS2 but it doesn't have the interchangeable belt loop system.

Their clip on single mag pouches (D 417) are real nice as well. I've got 5 of them for various magazines ranging in size from double stack .45's to single stack .32's and I've never had the first issue from any of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts