Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advanges of having a CHL vs not having one. Im really new to the gun hobby and Im looking into getting a CHL but just want some info on what a CHL intitles you too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depending on your state laws, you get to carry your handgun concealed most places so those late night trips to the stop and rob ( 711 )
don't turn out bad for you, and now at least you have some control of your own destiny, I work afternoon shift and it's comforting to have for the trip home, also great for that late night food craving like breakfast at 2 AM

·
Registered
130 Posts
Frostyeyes is correct, go to your local court house or wherever they issue them and get a book on your state laws and just weigh the options. If the laws are pretty loose as to when and where you can carry then it definetly is worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
It give you the option to carry if you so chose. Yes, you can carry without one but if you are stopped and it is discovered you are likely screwed.

Another thought is that once you have it you have it. Its much better than needing it (say if a family member has their life threatened) and you don't have it. I can just decide if I need to up-gun before heading out the door to pick someone up. I don't have to decide if I am willing to risk breaking the law to have the ability to be armed to protect myself.

And yes, being armed is comforting heading home in the wee hours of the morning.

And in Mn the permit also functions as a purchase permit. The purchase permit need to be renewed every year where the carry permit is good for 5 years, but the purchase is free and the carry is $100.

A handy site for research is: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Steelheart

·
Registered
128 Posts
The advantage is that you are legal to carry your concealeable weapon/handgun to lawfully use where lethal force is allowed in any state that has a reciprocal agreement with the license(s) you possess. The disadvantage only exists if you break the rules of carry (for instance carrying in restricted or unlawful areas as defined by the law) or if you are not of the mindset to use it after pulling it, if that becomes necessary.
zemus said:
What are the advanges of having a CHL vs not having one. Im really new to the gun hobby and Im looking into getting a CHL but just want some info on what a CHL intitles you too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
also check www.packing.org some of the info is old but there is a wealth of knowledge there, I have all my states ( MI. ) carry laws printed and laminated stored in both vehicles just in case as some LEO's are not current on all the new laws, I also have a US map printed that shows me which ststes reconize my permit, very helpfull sometimes if you live near the border of another state.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
In some states the regulations for even carrying a gun to the shooting range and back are squirrelly... some require that the gun be kept in a locked case in the luggage compartment of the car with the magazines somewhere else...

With a CCL about the only thing you need to remember is that it is to be "concealed"... no putting it on the seat next to you while driving.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for the info guys. I should have a CHL for reasons you guys have stated, espacally now a days. Im going to start looking for some upcoming classes for this.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good luck to you. The primary reason I am getting my license is to have the ability to legally carry in my vehicle. The existing law here in Texas is often misinterpreted by LEO and I don't like taking the chance. Of course, I plan to carry on my body as well, but the primary reason was the vehicle/travel thing.

Todd

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why a CHL?
I'd get one if only on GP (General Principles). You have a Constitutional Right to keep and bear arms so why not excercise it?... Not to mention the Natural Law to defend yourself from a deadly threat.

·
Banned
6 Posts
We can carry in more states than what is on a reciprocity map. Reciprocity means that both states agree, so you can go to Kentucky and they can come to Ohio. Take Indiana for instance, we (as Ohioans) can carry in IN but OH does not allow people from IN to carry in OH, so you will not see IN on that map.
------------
Non-sponsor url removed.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
zemus: some cheap advice, even if you don't THINK you'll carry - - - - go ahead and get one. Take the class, pony up the $$ and get one.

Now here in Texas it's getting better. After the 2008 election, a flock of folks panicked and applied for licenses and in early 2009 the wait time for an issued license was getting up to 3 or 4 months.

It's much better now. But another change in administartion could easily start a rush again.

One big advantage, you can carry in any adjoining state, and as julie2009 pointed out, in plenty of others. So that diminishes the problems caused by crossing a state line with a loaded gun in your vehicle. (the one time I ALWAYS, ALWAYS carry is any time I'm taking a Texas freeway out in the boondocks after dark) And, frankly, almost everyone at one time or another has to go somewhere after dark where you think "man, I wish I had a loaded gun".

One other advantage: you can buy a gun, long or short, and walk out of the store without waiting for the FBI computers.

Go to www.texaschl.org as a starter

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
julie20099 said:
We can carry in more states than what is on a reciprocity map. Reciprocity means that both states agree, so you can go to Kentucky and they can come to Ohio. Take Indiana for instance, we (as Ohioans) can carry in IN but OH does not allow people from IN to carry in OH, so you will not see IN on that map.
------------
according to handgunlaw.us, IN and OH do have reciprocity. I do not think your views on reciprocity are correct. Why would one state allow you to carry and the other not? It is all quid pro quo, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. I would be very careful carrying in a state that does not have reciprocity agreement with your state, after all we are not talking about a speeding ticket here; we are talking about a felony gun charge.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
rcflyer said:
according to handgunlaw.us, IN and OH do have reciprocity. I do not think your views on reciprocity are correct. Why would one state allow you to carry and the other not? It is all quid pro quo, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. I would be very careful carrying in a state that does not have reciprocity agreement with your state, after all we are not talking about a speeding ticket here; we are talking about a felony gun charge.
Many states allow you to carry when they don't have reciprocity. There are 14 states that recognize Connecticut's permit and yet Connecticut recognizes NO other state's permits. There is a difference between recognition and reciprocity, but I am not sure what it is.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I stand corrected

1 - 19 of 19 Posts