Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm a 1911 expert...;) ;)....I have a question about the CM mags I bought. The baseplate for all of my other pistol mags is removable but looking at the construction of the CM mags I don't see how they can be opened up for cleaning. My main concern for cleaning the mags is that I shoot competitions and the mags end up being dropped in this FL. sand and it's nice to be able to disassemble them for cleaning. So how does one clean the inside of these mags?

Administrator
I flush mine with brake cleaner. It's inconvienient, but you can tilt the follower forward, and remove that and the spring. But the flush is just a whole lot easier.

Registered
There are two styles of Chip McCormick magazines.

One is the traditional style with welded baseplates, called shooting stars. This can be disassembled thru the method of putting 3 rounds in, holding the spring captive with a punch, removing the rounds, dropping out the follower and then removing the spring. If you have issues with these, replace the springs with Wolff +5 power springs.

The other style is the PowerMags, these have a plastic baseplate. You pop the catch in and slide the base off, very simple. Wolff also makes springs for these.

Reactions: RevolverFan

Super Moderator
If you have the plastic base pads on the Shooting Stars, they soften up if exposed to BrakeKleen.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I forget exactly which model the mags are but they have the welded base to them so I guess I will just stock up on brake cleaner for flushing them out when needed.
IDLE, yes all of my other mags have the catch on the bottom for removing the baseplate so I'm familiar with that system. It was the welded baseplate on the CM mags that had me a bit confused on how to clean them.
Thanks all for the help. Love this website!

Registered
I just push the follower down with a wooden dowel, stick a punch through a hole about halfway down the mag. Follower will come out when inverted and spring can be removed through the top. No reason not to clean as often as needed. Just remember when done to put spring back just like it was originally.

I clean my mags on Bersa and CZ blowbacks every time after shooting because they seem to get dirtier quicker than 1911s or my poly pistols. I clean inside the top of the lip of mag (adjacent to top of follower) with a Q-tip. Just me and my anal ways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts