Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a brand new never fired SKS and wants to use 20 or 30 round mags. I know to make it 922r legal with hi-cap mags a conversion is required.

Has anyone here done that?
What parts are the easiest to replace and at the least cost. It looks like a stock, hand guard, and US mag will make 4 parts.

Can you advise if the full trigger group can be replaced with a US made set?

From what I've read the parts count is a little iffy... some say 4 US parts are required and then others say 6. His rifle is Chinese (Norinco), so I think only 4 parts are required to be compliant.

I've converted a Saiga 7.62x39, but I know nothing about the SKS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
If you change the hubcaps on your car from full sized to baby moons you haven't converterd anything, merely changed hubcaps.

With high cap magazines readily available for SKS's, why do you have to "convert" anything? :confused:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The Norinco SKS needs to be converted to take AK47 mags. It comes from the factory with a hinged mag and things need to be done to use pop-in mags. I got around this by using a Star 20 rd hinged mag that fit more or less like the original. I did have to trim a little wood so that it would fit. The Yugo version of the SKS will use AK mags directly, if memory serves but the Chinese version definitely won't.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
...unless the market has completely dried up, you used to could buy "30 rd. SKS" magazines.

The were "not" quick detachable, but they were 30 rounders.

There was no "conversions" or "modifications" made to the gun for their use.

You removed the 10 round mag and attached the 30 rounder.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rifle has to be "converted" by using US made parts so that you can use mags over 10 rounds and be in compliance with the BATF's 922r compliance code. Otherwise you can be arrested and fined. The conversion modifications are NOT related to the fitting of the mag, that's not the problem. The conversions mods are done to be in compliance. I believe there is a mechanical modification to be able to use AK mags, but not SKS mags. That's not what I'm after. Just attaching a 15, 20, or 30 round SKS mag make you in NON-compliance. Ergo, illegal.
I can see that many of you are probably not in compliance.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Okay, you can pop out the internal 10 round magazine and use 20 or 30 round external mags. No problem. But like the OP said, you are now stuck in the gray zone of illegality. Technically, there should be playing the '10 or under' game for a Chinese SKS. A global mod over at Survivors SKS board gave me this information about a year ago, for an inquiry I put out there for a Chinese SKS I bought:

Chinese just means that you have one less foreign part to substitute with a USA made part.
Chinese have 14 imported parts, Yugo have 15 (counting muzzle attachment).

Your Tapco stock and handguard give you two,
a Tapco mag will give you 2 more (mag body & follower).

922(r) affects all imported semi auto centerfires.
So any C&R or other legally imported semi is taken out of it's imported configuration,
they're all on level ground and need to play the 10 or less game.

Here is a link to the thread I originally posted there.....

Mods to Chinese SKS ?

Reactions: Foxtail207

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
A friend has a brand new never fired SKS and wants to use 20 or 30 round mags. I know to make it 922r legal with hi-cap mags a conversion is required.

Has anyone here done that?
I have a Norinco SKS that I bought a 30 round mag for a loooong time ago before I knew of the 922r compliance issue. Since I like the SKS as is, I just yanked the 30 rounder out of it and never used it again. The duckbill 30 rounder can be modified for quick removal without disassembly of the rifle, but it takes a bit of filing on the magazine.

If you haven't seen this from SKS Boards, check it out. Legal FAQ's Listed Here (read here first).

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
BTW, the 922r thing is stoooooooooopid. I follow the law, but gawd dang that is just one of the dumbest things ever.
No kidding. The more you find out about it, the more it sounds like the dumb guy who started painting the floor of a room and finds himself in a corner with no way out. Some people think it's intentionally vague so they have a reason to bother you, but it's entirely possible that they just wrote a stupid law. I've never heard anybody hassled about it though, yet.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
No kidding. The more you find out about it, the more it sounds like the dumb guy who started painting the floor of a room and finds himself in a corner with no way out. Some people think it's intentionally vague so they have a reason to bother you, but it's entirely possible that they just wrote a stupid law. I've never heard anybody hassled about it though, yet.
I haven't either just if you plan to use a firearm for self defense (which an SKS might be overkill for anyhow) I'd make damn sure it's legal. I've found stuff like AK's I stick so much crap on them they just are 922r but as I look at the SKS, they are abit harder to make complaint. I did notice tapco has a SKS compliant kit out that basically has what you need to be legal. TAPCO SKS Compliance Kit - Spike Bayonet - Stocks - AK Variants - Element Arms I think where the chinese rifles might need one less part, at least on mine I just got last weekend, is it doesn't have any kind of flash hider on the end, now I never had an SKS before so take that with a grain of salt. If I got one that's a link to the one I'd need, but I am leaning to just leaving mine original and not shooting it cause I'll be honest (and I have to get pics up this weekend)... I haven't seen an SKS in as good shape as mine. I got it off a buddy who got it from a older gentelman who I guess bought it something like 20 years ago and put it into a safe and never shot it. All the numbers match and this thing doesn't have a mark on it. Whats weird is all it has are an arsenal marking (the little triangle) and a made in china by norinko on the left side of the receiver. Didn't they usually have more markings then that?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
BTW, the 922r thing is stoooooooooopid. I follow the law, but gawd dang that is just one of the dumbest things ever.
What really shows how dumb it is is it's possable to build an AK up, very easy infact... that with a tapco mag is legal, pop in a bulgarian and your a felon =P

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I totally agree!

Reading the law is a nightmare, it's totally absurd.

·
Administrator
17,589 Posts
The text here will answer your question in a detailed manner: Compliant Parts for SKS Rifles and What it Actually Means rifletech.com

Another good source of info: “Survivors” SKS FAQ

Some of the Chinese SKS's are becoming quite collectible, so you might want to save and grease all of the parts you intend to replace and make only changes that can be reversed. Supposedly, you can use High Capacity Magazines without making any changes by simply cutting off the Bayonet Lug. Have seen an ATF letter to that effect, but am not sure if that ruling is still current. Dremel Cut Off my early milled Chinese SKS's Bayonet Lug years ago for that reason and the fact that it could get caught on brush and although I have a fixed 20 round Chinese Magazine for it, I've never bothered to use anything but the original fixed 10 rounder.

As for the sanity of our current Regulations, which the ATFE arbitrarily makes, when did sanity or logic ever have anything to do about it? It's really about Control, not preventing Crime.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I haven't seen an SKS in as good shape as mine. I got it off a buddy who got it from a older gentelman who I guess bought it something like 20 years ago and put it into a safe and never shot it. All the numbers match and this thing doesn't have a mark on it. Whats weird is all it has are an arsenal marking (the little triangle) and a made in china by norinko on the left side of the receiver. Didn't they usually have more markings then that?
My SKS has on the left side of the receiver:
Serial Number
Arsenal Triangle
SKS 7.62X39 CHINA
NORINCO
PTK INT'L ATL. GA.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
My SKS has on the left side of the receiver:
Serial Number
Arsenal Triangle
SKS 7.62X39 CHINA
NORINCO
PTK INT'L ATL. GA.

Here's a ten year old photo of mine that I got new in 1993 (I still have it). It was my first firearm as an adult. All previous guns were my dad's.
View attachment 26600
Ok mine has all that just no import markings but yeah the one I have looks exactly like that except it has a spike bayonet. I thought the butt pad was aftermarket but maybe it's not. It's in that good of shape to. Maybe if I decide to bubba up an SKS I'll just get a beat up yugo the more I keep thinking about it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Ok mine has all that just no import markings but yeah the one I have looks exactly like that except it has a spike bayonet. I thought the butt pad was aftermarket but maybe it's not. It's in that good of shape to. Maybe if I decide to bubba up an SKS I'll just get a beat up yugo the more I keep thinking about it.
I bought a New Old Stock Yugo in 2005. Paid $145. Try to find that deal nowdays.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
...unless the market has completely dried up, you used to could buy "30 rd. SKS" magazines.

The were "not" quick detachable, but they were 30 rounders.

There was no "conversions" or "modifications" made to the gun for their use.

You removed the 10 round mag and attached the 30 rounder.
I do recall 30 rd. mags but these mags had a horrible reputation. The Star mag I talked about was made by the Chinese and was identical to the original except for capacity and a bit longer.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

This is a picture of my Chinese SKS Para Trooper with a fixed 20rd. Mag

Since this photo I removed it and put the 10rd. back on and removed the scope....and mount

A pic of my Para trooper with my Russian..yep its sweet

1 - 20 of 23 Posts