Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was news to me, but did y'all know that the Chiappa Rhino revolver can be had in .40 S&W? It is still a pretty spendy handgun, but it does give another option to the Taurus 405 and the Charter Arms Pit bull in the same caliber....

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
That's interesting to know. They definitely are an interesting design overall though.

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
Thats the strangest critter I have ever seen but they have a good record so far. I give them credit for doing weird well.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I like 'em, especially the ones with the 6" barrel. Ironically I have the 2012 Guns & Ammo calendar and the picture for March is the Chiappa Rhino.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
That 6" model is a monster, it's actually beautifully ugly IMO.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Even not bad in ammo pricing for a 40. $25 for 100 rounds of Federal at my local Walmart.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I like those Rhino's especially the six-inch with rail on top. But $900?

Reactions: MisterNoisy

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Well, I just saw an article on guns.com (3/15/12) that showed a 9x21 rhino that may come to the states. People have evidently shot 9 para from them w/ good results. I WANT one!!!!!!

I've been thinking about during the nite, and doesn't Chiappa put a RFID chip in their guns nowadays? That would dissuade me from getting one, if it came available....

·
Registered
145 Posts
I saw one of these at the gun show a few months ago.....ugliest gun I have EVER seen! At least on par with some of the Hi-Point carbines anyway....

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
At least on par with some of the Hi-Point carbines anyway....
Funny you mention that because they are both distributed from MKS Supply, shared the same booth at the 2012 Shot-Show. My Chiappa 1911-22 was made in Dayton Ohio also.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a radical looking revolver for sure. I too wonder if it will be a flash in the pan. The price is just too high. Perhaps MKS is not concerned about this as long as they get their marketing fee? Not bashing MKS, just curious.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I think Italy has something to do with the high price(import taxes,) they must think Americans have a lot of money or something:rolleyes:. That may of been the case 13 years ago but if they really want these to sell like hot-cakes they are going to have to come down on the price by a couple hundred of dollars at least.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The big deal with the Rhino is supposed to be recoil control. The barrel being on the bottom keeps the axis of the bore lower for more of a straight back push. One of our members just purchased the six inch model, and he found the recoil somewhat objectionable. Not much muzzle flip to absorb recoil - it's all going straight back into your hand. And another thing about that design - have you ever seen the blast that comes out of a revolver around the forcing cone? With a conventional revolver at least it's a couple inches above your hand and a lot of it goes up, and even so if you get your hand too close it will do a number on you - as in removing parts of fingers. I can only imaging what this thing would do if you made that mistake. And that's the thing about radical designs - all the flaws are not always immediately apparent. The focus is always on the 'improvements', not the detriments. My $.02.

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
I like the looks of them myself, I like folks who think outside the box! Definitely not a traditional revolver look, but it has a certain Robo Cop look I like. My favorite LGS had one with a 4" barrel in the show case the last time I went by there, but I just did a quick scan of the place, looked at the used gun show case and left, forgetting to fondle the Rhino. Don't know what caliber it was, but remember the price tag was about $859, so I am unlikely to get a lot of interest in one. That much money needs to be a Colt Diamondback!

·
Registered
272 Posts
My brother in law has one of these. His is the 357mag. They are hard to get ahold of. They are produced in Dayton Ohio which is where he lives. He saw one at a local gun shop one day and decided he had to have it. We shot it shorty after and it's actually very nice to shoot. It's a little strange that you pull the front sight back to cock it for single action but its a very nice shooter. Even with 357 and not 38spl. To much $$ for me to just own it cause I think it looks cool though.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I love my Rhino (60DS in .357). To me, the high purchase price was worth it because it shoots pretty well and for the conversations it sparks at the range - people have either heard of it but never seen one in person, or just want to know WTH that crazy thing I'm shooting is. :) I considered the .40S&W, but I didn't want to have to futz with moon clips.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
That thing is a true beast, I wonder what kind of scope you could use on these.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love my Rhino (60DS in .357). To me, the high purchase price was worth it because it shoots pretty well and for the conversations it sparks at the range - people have either heard of it but never seen one in person, or just want to know WTH that crazy thing I'm shooting is. :) I considered the .40S&W, but I didn't want to have to futz with moon clips.

That is one unusual but beautiful looking revolver. I think I would go with the .40 notwithstanding the clips. I just love the .40! :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts