Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a G2C the other day, and after field stripping (0 rounds through it), I noticed a chewed up area on the inside of the slide right in front of the striker assembly. It almost looks like the metal used wasn't hardened properly or something. Curious if I should pursue the issue? Will it effect long-term functionality? I just bought it, so I could be really splitting hairs. The final photo is of my friend's, but with a stainless steel slide for comparison.

Attachments

·
Administrator
39,734 Posts
I have a PT145 with some similar marks. It came that way, and to date I have approximately 4,000 rounds through it. Never a problem, and the marks look the same. I doubt you’ll have an issue. But if it bothers you, you can always pursue it.

·
8,551 Posts
Luckily the slide ramp doesn't need to have a perfect surface to do its job. But I agree the tool marks on your ramp are crap, but I am a bit of a purist. I lightly sand with 1500 grit sandpaper all my slide ramps, followed by a light polishing with Mothers. This makes the slide less gritty when operating manually and while its running. Not necessary, but I am OCD about tool marks where they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I see no problem there. Shoot it.

Reactions: JohnOliver

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
WOW, kinda shocked it came that way? You might call Taurus about it?

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
lousy machine work and machinist is what it looks like--poor quality control or better lousy expected quality control.
thats one of the things that you get if in a higher priced weapon--better workmanship!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckily the slide ramp doesn't need to have a perfect surface to do its job. But I agree the tool marks on your ramp are crap, but I am a bit of a purist. I lightly sand with 1500 grit sandpaper all my slide ramps, followed by a light polishing with Mothers. This makes the slide less gritty when operating manually and while its running. Not necessary, but I am OCD about tool marks where they shouldn't be.
Appreciate the recommendation! Might do that then

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same here, I heard mostly good regarding QC lately from taurus. Maybe got a bad bunch? Its also from the new Georgia plant -- doubt it matters but who knows

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly I might -- do you think it's worth it though? Judging from what other people are saying I might just run it. But also agree that its kind of disappointing that it'd come like that brand new. It was also surprisingly dirty.

·
8,551 Posts
Honestly I might -- do you think it's worth it though? Judging from what other people are saying I might just run it. But also agree that its kind of disappointing that it'd come like that brand new. It was also surprisingly dirty.
The only reason I would engage Taurus CS, is if you are worried about selling the pistol down the road or you want a better looking ramp. A perspective buyer might be like me, and ask for a lower price because of it. If you can live without it for a few months then send it in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My G2C slide looked like that except worse. My ramp was pitted, turned blue and the rails were scuffed with deep grooves on one side, too... with only 650 rounds on it! (Yes, I did clean oil it.)
This happened after running TulAmmo steel case.
I traded it in on a S&W SD40 and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Those machine marks and edge pits have nothing to do with the operation and function if that firearm. I had Ruger SR40 with barrel and slide that was that bad or worse. 4000+ fault free rounds and accurate. The Taurus is sub $300 tool. If you want a show piece I would say you're gonna have to drop more coin.

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
Those machine marks and edge pits have nothing to do with the operation and function if that firearm. I had Ruger SR40 with barrel and slide that was that bad or worse. 4000+ fault free rounds and accurate. The Taurus is sub $300 tool. If you want a show piece I would say you're gonna have to drop more coin.
OR maybe move to a EAA Tanfoglio Witness?
normally under 400 bucks in a multitude of calibers.
EAA -4.JPG
EAA -4.JPG
EEA -7.JPG

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts