Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 2 magazines off eBay and I'm thinking about getting 4 more while the seller still has them. Hope someone could attest to the quality of Checkmate 15-rd magazines. They are new old stock military surplus. Obviously, made for Berretta 92, but that mod is no biggie. The seller, who I have bought from before, assured me the "10 round mod" is not an issue. So, are these magazines worth $17 (shipping included)?
mag $_57.JPG

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
CDNN currently has 15 round OEM and Mec Gar magazines on sale for $16.99, either will be better quality and not need any modification.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
CDNN currently has 15 round OEM and Mec Gar magazines on sale for $16.99, either will be better quality and not need any modification.
Thanks, McE. Appreciate the info, but I'll be honest and say that the OEM mags that came with my 92 don't look highly impressive and I'm hoping these military issued mags will be of more substantial build. I'm 270# and have bent mags stepping on them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your local gun show. Those surplus mags are $8/ea. around here.
Good to know! We have a couple gun shows coming soon. I'll wait till then to see if I can pick up more of these.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Thanks, McE. Appreciate the info, but I'll be honest and say that the OEM mags that came with my 92 don't look highly impressive and I'm hoping these military issued mags will be of more substantial build. I'm 270# and have bent mags stepping on them.
I don't think the Checkmate surplus mags are any more substantial than the OEM Taurus mags.
At best you can find surplus mags that have thicker baseplates that can handle being dropped better.

If you were interested in selling your OEM magazines I would be interested.

As for other options, just about everyone here will highly recommend Mec Gar magazines made for the PT92. I sold all of my OEM mags and have 6 Mec Gar mags that are nice and failure free. Thicker baseplates although they are plastic.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
It's rare occasions when military surplus magazines are better quality than what you can get new in the open market. Always remember that the military orders in high volumes at a certain price point, and to make that happen quality isn't always the first part of the equation.

I would possibly go for them if they were at least 17 or even 19 rounders, at 15 they simply make me lose capacity overall.

Reactions: jwc007 and seafra
1 - 7 of 7 Posts