Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wilson combat makes a set of snag free sights with a Heinie front cut. I will talk about accuracy when mine gets back from the gunsmith tomorrow or the next day. They can be self installed but will require peening as they are the same size as the factory and the front has no set screw. I good gunsmith can close the dovetail with a jig that does not leave punch marks on it.

See the URL below

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=633579

They also make a set of night sights that match and you can buy a front night sight alone. Prices are great. If you need a gunsmith that will work through the mail I have a good one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't know how good they are but Williams Firesights just started making them too. There fiber optic not night sights but oh well. Got there catalog today. The dovetail set for the Mil. Pro is item #70897, there $46.95 a set.

TAURUS Fire Sight Set:

·
Registered
35 Posts
silly question here....

why are we paying $30+ dollars for a 50 cent piece of plastic and/or metal? Just curious as to why they cost that much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good question but the other option is $100+. Which I can't afford anytime soon. They'll get me by till I can afford something better. I hate those Heine sights.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey man, I was just lookin at this again and went to their website. They dont have the 24/7 under the taurus section. I'm not even seeing that part number. Did you have to call them to get that info?

mfetty77 said:
Don't know how good they are but Williams Firesights just started making them too. There fiber optic not night sights but oh well. Got there catalog today. The dovetail set for the Mil. Pro is item #70897, there $46.95 a set.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
OK... the 24/7 and the Mil Pro use the same sights... both the earlier screw down sight, or the new dovetail sight. The only question I have about the Williams sights is that they show the earlier screw down sight... I've never asked about the dovetail models.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Those are all good but I think im going to throw Henini 125 bucks to get me a pair of night sights. I dont want to have to be shimming, cutting, filing or who knows what else. I just want to take the old ones off and put the new ones on. To be honest 125 dollars for night sights is not that bad I do plan on getting the straight 8s, seem to be doing well with them. Ill post a new tread when I get them installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are in the catalog I got from them the other day. They don't show them on their site yet but you can get them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
newb question here... what exactly makes night sights.... well night sights. do they glow in the dark?

zemus said:
Those are all good but I think im going to throw Henini 125 bucks to get me a pair of night sights. I dont want to have to be shimming, cutting, filing or who knows what else. I just want to take the old ones off and put the new ones on. To be honest 125 dollars for night sights is not that bad I do plan on getting the straight 8s, seem to be doing well with them. Ill post a new tread when I get them installed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I done no shimming or filing and the night sights from williams are 119. However, I wound up with plain rears and tritium fronts on both of my pistols. works great.

·
Registered
116 Posts
LedJedi said:
newb question here... what exactly makes night sights.... well night sights. do they glow in the dark?
Well what they use is called Tritium it glows for 12 years its basically a bunch of gas' in a tube. This will tell you more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium apperently from what I gather they are always on 24/7 for 12 years they get dimm but all you have to do is hold them to the light for about a second I was told and they will glow bright green. For many many MOONS

·
Registered
35 Posts
zemus said:
Well what they use is called Tritium it glows for 12 years its basically a bunch of gas' in a tube. This will tell you more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium apperently from what I gather they are always on 24/7 for 12 years they get dimm but all you have to do is hold them to the light for about a second I was told and they will glow bright green. For many many MOONS
oh dude... that's crazy cool and very tactical to have. to they come in pimp blue? (actually I'll look up the colors myself).

is pretty much everyone who has them happy with them?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holding tritium in bright light does nothing. They are on 24\7 as what it is, is an encapsulated radioactive gas. The gas has a halflife and gets dimmer with time. They will be fairly bright for 6-8 years then need replaced. At least the capsules have to be replaced though with the dropping prices many people just slap on a new set of sights after 6 years and consider 20 bucks a year a good investment.

The confusion is for years glow in the dark paint was put on sights and errantly reffered to as night sights. These however had to be precharged with bright light and then would glow for a few minutes, Read Junk.

Tritium are the only true night sights and the only US supplier of the capsules is Trijicon, as they are radioactive and require a government permit to handle. Therefore any wilson, heinie, or truglo product with tritium actually get the inserts from trijicon. You can however get imported sights from MeproLight.

P.S. Wikipedia is the most inaccurate internet source on the internet. Anyone can modify anything on it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just received my recently ordered firesights from williams and of course they don't work. I have a 3week old PT111 w/Heine sights.

My new PT111 has dovetails, and their sights don't have any, also the holes for the set screws are not threaded,
and they are not even the rigth size for the original screws (they don't supply one with the sights), even though it lists :

Taurus PT111, PT140, PT145, PT132, PT138 (Millenium and Millenium Pro)

:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
123 Posts
mrnuke7571 said:
I just received my recently ordered firesights from williams and of course they don't work. I have a 3week old PT111 w/Heine sights.

My new PT111 has dovetails, and their sights don't have any, also the holes for the set screws are not threaded,
and they are not even the rigth size for the original screws (they don't supply one with the sights), even though it lists :

BURN the WITCH!

oh... sorry. impulse.

Seriously, that sucks.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
mrnuke7571 said:

So you ordered the ones that were supost to be dove tailed and they were not? I guess I am going to have to drop 120 bucks on the other ones

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yup. .Supposedly 'direct fit' per their website and person manning their emails. ???

I told them about the problem and emailed them pictures, and they have sent it to their' tech department'.
Whatever that is supposed to be. It's pretty easy to see where they screwed up.

On top of things, I was so expecting the sights, I removed my stock sights, so they are probably way off too after putting them back on..
:D Now I have to sight the pistol in.. Joy.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think the problem is they list them for the MilPro but the new MilPro's are dove tail and the older ones are not. My wife has the 2nd gen PT111 Mil "Pro" which does not have the dove tail sights, so those sights should work on here Pro but not the newer ones.

You wanna sell the ones you just got ;D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Heh, they offered me a refund or wait a couple of 'weeks' to get the new dovetailed setup .
I'll get the full refund (better include shipping back to them too) unless they can guarantee me a few weeks at most.
It cost me $53 shipped. they look good, but I have to tell you too, that there was no threading in the holes that the
set screws are supposed to hold it to your slide, so I don't think they are 'direct fit', unless your 2nd gen mill/mill pro has some sort of wierd set screw and retention setup.

On a side note, I just ordered a PT145 monday. I like this little pt111 9mm ,I have to try the 45acp model.
I carry this now as I can hold better groups with it than my past carry (beretta 9000s), holds more rounds, and is smaller.
Also I LOVE the finger indent on the right side of the frame. Great to point shoot with. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts