Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by admitting I like to buy the least expensive ammo I can, so I can buy more.The cheapest I have found for 45's is Wal-Mart at $11.97 a box for blazer brass. Same stuff at a sports store in town is $18. Much as I hate to I can't see spending $6 more for the same thing. I found a web site called qualityammo.com where you can buy 45's for about $10 a box and he'll buy brass back. Anyone bought from this website?

·
32,790 Posts
www.midwayusa.com, www.aimsurplus.com, www.cheaperthan dirt.com, www.jgsales.com, www.natchezss.com

This is a partial list that I use for ammo for online ordering. I do use SilverBear ammo which is Russian made, but works well through my any of my pistols. Silver Bear ammo cases are steel, but are nickel or Brown Bear which is brass coated steel.

Winchester makes their WWB series and one line actually comes in JHP guise. These will expand with the best of the newer hollowpoints and still penetrate far enough.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=960.0

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=385.0

This ought to give you some light reading. :)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'm the same way and much prefer bulk bargain ammo just for the fact that I can own more and shoot more than more costlier fodder. I just placed a large order with www.natchezss.com for 2,500 rounds of 9mm Blazer aluminum and 1,300 rounds of the same in .45 ACP

I paid under $7.00 a box for the 9mm and the .45 was roughly the same as Blazer Brass at Walmart with the upside being the shipping was relatively low. Of the places I like to purchase from, these guys are at or near the top of the list.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have been shooting 5000 to 15000 rounds of .45 for the last 10 years or so and out of all the cheap stuff I have tried over the years I am most impressed with the CCI Blazer Brass from wally world. Around here I can still get it for $9.47 a box of 50. I pick up all they have when ever Im in Wal-Mart ;)

·
32,790 Posts
Shadai,you bring up a good point.

Black Hills and other ammo manufacturers of repute, do make good remanufactured ammo.

Have to be careful of some of the companies as you have pointed out. Some have excellent quality control and check their ammo over for performance and specs so that the remanufactured ammo will fire and function when needed.

Others do not. Have to check out the record of each place on a case by case(pardon the pun) basis.

·
32,790 Posts
Then they changed the recipe. Cost cutting and all. LOL

The earlier stuff I had was the unlaquered and bi-metal cases. Sorry to hear that they went over to the laquer. The sight for the distributor confirms they went over to laquer coating.

It seems that the Zander website is no longer valid and the distributor has changed it's name as well as has updated the Brown Bear website. So if the name Zander shows up in a Google or any other search, just ignore that sight. It should be taken down.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A really good cheap ammo I have found for my .38 is called Speer Lawman. I think it's supposed to be a practice round for the Speer Gold Dot, with similar recoil, muzzle flash, and groups. I have found it's cheap. clean, and shoots POA for me in 158 gr. JFN. Good stuff.

I actually don't carry Speer Gold Dots though, I carry Buffalo Bore 158 gr WC or Semi-WC. I love that stuff. The Standard Pressure has velocities similar to +P stuff, without damaging older revolvers. Really good stuff.

·
32,790 Posts
Brown Bear ammo says this and right from the importer's mouth:
This high quality ammo features lacquered steel case construction; hence the
“Brown” Bear name. Brown Bear offers high quality at reasonable prices.
This product uses Berdan priming for long shelf life and sure-fire ignition.
Brown Bear is loaded to exacting standards normally reserved for military
specification ammo. End of Quote

What Golden Bear ammo is brass coated steel.
Silver Bear is nickel coated steel cased.

I've had excellent functioning in all my pistols and rifles. However I also shoot Blazer,Blazer Brass, and some Lawman ammo through them as well. The Russian ammo is used only moderately. So are the others.

MFS ammo has worked out well as well. Bought 500 rounds of it and it's worked well.

I agree with you Tailwind on the +P training ammo by using Lawman.

There is a .38 Special +P 158gr. round that works well so one does not burn up all their defense ammo.... or most of it.

It is sometimes hard to find, but buying in bulk when it's available helps.

Found some here.
Midway USA CCI/Speer .38 Special T/P 158 Speer Lawman Cleanfire Ammunition 38 Special +P 158 Grain Total Metal Jacket Box of 50 $23.49 50 $0.47

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ya, it's hard to find in bulk. I'm in AK so shipping is astronomical.
I didn't post that I used +P. but somehow you knew. I can find it in both standard and plus pressure, but the difference in recoil and price(+P is cheaper?) is negligable.
Sometimes I carry them in my speed loaders because they have tough exterior's that don't deteriorate over time like my pricey soft lead semi wadcutter's. Another reason to buy +P.
A box of 50 +P Speer Lawman is $17.95, and Standard Pressure $18.95, both cleanfire.

·
32,790 Posts
I am psychotic, er, ummm, I mean psychic. Yeah, that's it! ;) :) :D

With my crystal ball,tarot cards, ouiji board, chicken bones, and The Magic Eightball, I'm ready for anything. :) ;D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ok....what caliber am I thinking of right now? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.