Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odell was a Sunday School teacher of mine, and was the first person to extend me credit when I bought a baseball glove.

I never knew about his WWII experience.

Reactions: Slakev

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks for the post. I very much enjoyed reading it. Reminds me that WWII was mostly won by a bunch of ordinary people (my father included) who just went and got it done. Then they came home and built a better future for us.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing this story with us, Jake3501!

Wilinfla, I think you summed it up beautifully.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Thanks for the story Jake. We are losing these guys now at a rate that's faster than ever. We lost Van Barfoot this past week as well. He was a CMA recipient. I fear that our world will not ever again hold the character and courage that was commonplace among these vets.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
It is a tragedy that we are losing the members of this era too quickly. The members of the armed forces that served during this time truly did heroic things and truly sacrificed everything for the good of our nation as well as the free world. Whenever I get the opportunity to hear one of them tell their stories and experiences, time seems to stop as I listen. Last year I learned how one of my uncles actually fought with Audie Murphy before being shot the first time. He was wounded a total of three times before he came home, each time worse that the previous. He probably will not bless us with his presence much longer but it has been a pleasure to know him as well as the others. I just hope we can turn this country around and reach the grander of better days.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had a neighbor who was a bomber pilot in WW2, I loved his stories about flying in the 40's. I was a C-130 navigator for many years and his stories of what they did with what they had was amazing. It was hard for me to comprehend what they dealt with and how dangerous it really was. I got his flag when he passed away, I thank him every morning when I put it up.

Will

·
Super Moderator
26,971 Posts
I grew up in the UK in an era where "Hometown heroes" were as common as muck. Almost everyone of that age was one. Whether it was the bomber pilot, or the squaddie, or the Mother that sent her kid off to war, or the fighter pilot that was deemed qualified with 15 hours flying time.
Am I religious...yes in a way...what God do I recognize...none of your damn business..but everyday when I get up there is a prayer taped to my monitor, cos thats the second place I go....it says this:

"Dear.....(fill in the blank) its Rod again, sorry to be a pest, but if I can ask you for another favor. I know, its the same one as yesterday and the day before, but sometimes I feel you don't listen, I know you have a lot to listen to but just once will you listen to me?
I ask you to protect ALL of those who serve, AND especially those that have served already, those that have given so much and asked and been given so little, and their families that have sacrificed so much. Not only those in the public services like Military, Police, Firefighters, EMT's that already put their lives on the line for us every day, but those that serve in the background, that are a part of the process. The Families, the nurses, the Doctors and those people that go up to a vet and say THANKS.
And ......(fill in the blank)
Thanks for listening!

Reactions: cws_dallas
1 - 8 of 8 Posts