Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I changed the springs in the 94. I ordered from Wolff springs for the 85 as they are supposed to be the same. I had no problem with the main hammer spring, but the trigger spring is another story.
After installing the trigger spring the 94 would not cock. The new trigger spring was compressing completely and keeping the gun from cocking. I re-installed the original and it would cock. The new spring was just a bit shorter than the original. I haven't measured them yet, but I suspect the new spring wire diameter is larger. I made two cuts of the new spring before the gun would cock as it is supposed to.

The hammer is definitely lighter and more comfortable to cock single action. DA seemed lighter also. Test firing will prove whether the change was OK.

Interesting fact on the 94, and probably others, is that when you cock for SA or pull the trigger for DA you are actually compressing TWO springs. During firing only one spring pushes the hammer to fire the round. And the other spring only returns the trigger to full forward position ready for the next action.

If I have FTF's, my next mod will be to put a washer under the hammer spring which will increase the hammer force a tad. I can always put the original springs back in if necessary.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
NSWB- it's the hammer spring that makes the 94 a bit of a bear, wouldn't the rest of you guys agree? The trigger replacement spring that you shortened is what most of us need to do to get the firearm to cock and I even got new replacement trigger springs from Taurus for the 94 - and I had to trim it a bit, too! I got hammer replacement springs from Taurus at the same time and found that i got better performance by shortening the stock spring a bit than with the "softer" Wolff spring. The replacement springs from Taurus are not expensive, but when you order them from CS you need to provide them with the serial number of your firearm. Since 22 lr is still in pretty short supply around here I have been "pacing" myself, but took my 5" M94 to the range a few times this week and had some good shooting. It's not as heavy as my M96, so I find that I need to "hold on" to the 94 just so to be accurate - and that improves my shooting with the heavier revolvers!

When experimenting with the hammer spring it sure does make me feel good knowing that I have several spare springs back in the parts kit when I get the urge to try to shorten a spring just a wee bit more...! I think when I clean my 94 up after tomorrow's range trip that I might try polishing the hammer strut a bit more -I better leave the hammer spring alone 'cause things are working just fine with no FTF - hope yours works, too!

Reactions: Mark40
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.