Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to change a barrel on a Taurus revolver? Anybody done it?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
With the right tools it is not a big deal to remove the barrel from most revolvers that screw into the frame. You can screw up a frame without the tooling to support it. Problem will be getting a barrel. Taurus would not sell a barrel last time I checked.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks *******. I seen a couple on GB and just wondering what's all involved. I think I might tackle it but the way Taurus changes stuff it might be like stepping in...

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Interesting conversation. I purchased a used Model 441 SS 6" about 12 years ago. The barrel was loose in the frame, to tighten it, it turned past vertical. It meant machining for a crush fit and then shortening the forcing cone to gain proper clearance. I was in a hurry and wanted to use the gun and it only turned past vertical a few thousands so I red locktited the threads after thoroughly degreasing them, set the barrel in place and let the locker cure. It still holds after many thousands of rounds thru it. Wouldn't have done it this way if it had been a magnum, pressures and all. I shopped around for another barrel and found a brand new Taurus production 4" SS at Numrich/Gunparts for 61$ I thought that a 4" would be nice. I have never changed the barrels because the red locker still holds. Point is, watch for parts of discontinued models out there in the world. I have picked up brand new OEM Colt and S&W barrels just because I was watching, eventually I even used one of the Colt barrels for a used gun I rebuilt. Keep your eyes open and have payment handy. Nice parts are out there but it is a hit and miss proposition.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is a lot to properly changing a revolver barrel. If not done properly with the correct tooling you run the risk of ruining a good revolver. Have it done by a good pistol smith if you want it done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts