Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was holding my G2 with my free hand around the fingers on my shooting hand with my index finger on the trigger guard. I dd pretty good, but each time the gun fired, my finger would slip off and I'd have to reset. I even tried no-skid on the trigger guard and my finger still slipped off. Well, I decided to put the palm of my free hand into the open space on the pistol grip with all of my fingers wrapped around the front of my shooting hand and my free thumb below my shooting hand thumb along the slide (but below it). I hope all this makes sense. :confused: I ran 86 rounds today and my accuracy and control improved dramatically. So, I am very happy with the improvements. :clap: :icon_ banana: :clap:

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
If it works and you are happy then I am happy..This is what I tell Nana all of the time..;D

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
WH- isn't it great when you learn a new way to hold a firearm that actually helps! I had a "class" with the RO at our indoor yesterday working on drawing from a holster ( we can't carry here, hence never having used a holster before!) and boy - did I learn that I don't know much at all! What he told me to do with semi auto pistols, is GREAT, and is essentially what you found plus he told me to primarily just keep the front sight in focus!

He taught me to change the grip on my revolvers, too, but it's not been very successful. I have small hands, arthritis, and a very unorthodox revolver grip - but it's been working for me for a while now and the new way isn't - it actually hurts my hands, so I think I might go back to my old way!

While most of us learn something new everyday, it's refreshing to learn something that we can use everyday for the rest of our lives! ;)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
This is the grip / shooting style I use. Very helpful. Got any before and after target examples?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I still use the "thumbs locked down"grip because for me it transfers from one gun to the other better. Support thumb locking the shooting thumb down out of the way with the index finger of the support hand wedged under the triggerguard. When you use everything from a Glock to a SAA type revolver in a given week a consistent style is one less thing to worry about. But it is up to each person to find what works best for them.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Thats what i like about the G2... There is a little indention just below the slide on the left side that appears to be meant for my left thumb in a thumbs forward grip...There is also an indentation on the right side where my trigger finger rests when not in the guard....feels like they really thought out the ergos well on this pistol.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I know what you mean Cariwine, I've been working on that same hold also. Definitely helps controlling the recoil of .40 S&W, and I can use the same hold on most of my pistols. Been thinking of adding a strip of grip tape to the front of the trigger guard because that polymer is kinda slippery. I picked up the grip from Jerry Miculek, also adjusted my stance a bit because I didn't realize how much of a difference small changes can make. Here's the video that he explains it all in, it's a good 25 minutes long but still a good watch.

How to shoot a Pistol with world champion shooter, Jerry Miculek:

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WH- isn't it great when you learn a new way to hold a firearm that actually helps! I had a "class" with the RO at our indoor yesterday working on drawing from a holster ( we can't carry here, hence never having used a holster before!) and boy - did I learn that I don't know much at all! What he told me to do with semi auto pistols, is GREAT, and is essentially what you found plus he told me to primarily just keep the front sight in focus!

He taught me to change the grip on my revolvers, too, but it's not been very successful. I have small hands, arthritis, and a very unorthodox revolver grip - but it's been working for me for a while now and the new way isn't - it actually hurts my hands, so I think I might go back to my old way!

While most of us learn something new everyday, it's refreshing to learn something that we can use everyday for the rest of our lives! ;)
You are right Sekol. It's good to find what works best so we can use it everyday. Sounds like your class was productive. :)

sounds like this... or are you doing something different?
EXACTLY! :)

This is the grip / shooting style I use. Very helpful. Got any before and after target examples?
Afraid not. :)

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
The finger on the front of the trigger guard never jived with me, either. Always felt like a tenuous hold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts