Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pt111 9mm mil. pro. 3rd gen, hornandy hollowpoints
when i pull the slide back and let it go..bullet chambers fine and slide is in firing position.
if i pull the slide back and not let go..but guide it back into firing position..but still with a reasonable amount of force (though not as much as letting the slide go) the slide does not fully return to firing position..it stops at about 1/4th of an inch too early. not wanting to push the slide forward..i dropped the mag and removed the bullet from the chamber. anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't consider it a problem. The slide is designed to move forcefully back and forth with the harnessed recoil from each shot fired. When you obstruct that process with your mitts, the slide will stop short. (called not going into battery).

Pull it back and let it go like a slingshot (called slingshotting, natch). Or use the slide release lever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
personally, i've rarely let it slingshot back (i don't know why, really). i've always let it go back with some force (pulling the slide back and bringing it forward in roughly the same time it takes one to make the sound "chk-chk". i say that everytime i do it, too, as it increases the cool factor. trust me.), and have never had a problem. of course, i haven't shot hollow point in quite some time, but IIRC, the ones i have shot didn't act up with me. i'll have to try loading a round (actually a snap cap) slowly just to see if i can make my pt140 do that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep , mine does the same thing . I have only shot FMJ so I dont think it has anything to do with the ammo .

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
The cool factor, just like the sound of a pump shotgun being loaded. Whoa! when my son or I rack one in his 12 guage. But, I get the same cool reaction when I pull the slide back and let it rack forward, but that is me!! Each of us is different.

I still have not tried that method that I remember, I have only had two failure to load incidents since I bought my PT111. Neither was from a slow release of the slide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
pull back and let it go.......thats how it is made to function, it wont hurt it, and it will not AD.

What you describe is very common on alot ofsemi-auto pistols, not just yours.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Auto pistols are designed for the most part to feed with the slide stripping a round from the magazine fairly quickly. If you slow it down, you may end up with the cartridge case in front of the extractor hook and not under where it should be. The extractor sitting behind the case rim could be why it won't go into battery without a sharp rap on the back of the slide as you "jump" the extractor hook over the rim. Not all that good for the extractor hook. This is also why you don't close the slide on a round that is already chambered. Once the extractor is damaged, it's replacement time, though some gun designs are less sensitive to damage on the hook than others. 1911's are notoriously sensitive in this area with even a minor burr or ding/bend/lack of tension/over tension causing FTE's and erratic ejection.

My favorite is when the cases hit the shooter square in the face. Kinda distracting to say the least.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
dont know about the pt111 but it's not uncommon to have feeding or other problems riding the slide back to home.

on a empty chamber it's a common practice to save wear.. but when loading a round it's best to just let it fly back..

my beretta92 for example will catch on the trigger disconnect if the safety is on and you dont let it go back with some force.. if you ride it the spring is just enough tention to stop it..

i doubt there is anything wrong with your gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts