Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a curious question for the forum. I have a 24/7 Pro 45 ACP that I have had for 3 years. I have at least a 1000 rounds thru it. My question for the members, with a full 12 rounds in the magazine I can not chamber a round. I do not know if I'm strong enough or not to pull the slide back to chamber it. I can lock the slide back, then install the mag. & sling the slide & it chambers without problem. This is not really a problem, I'm just curious if others noticed this. This has been a great handgun. It was well researched when I purchased it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Ceci!!

If you can lock the slide back, you have strong enough to put a round in the chamber by pulling the slide, same movement and same strength required. You can also lock the slide back, put one round directly on chamber, release the slide, use decocker or safety and install the mag, this way your pistol will be with 12 + 1 rounds, just be carefull and don't forget to use the safety, decocker or finger out of trigger.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Ceci, you've been loading that gun long enough to know when it's too hard trying to jack a round from a full mag. It shoudn't take any more strength to jack it from a full mag than one with fewer rounds. Something is interfering, like the slide lock or the top of the 12th round. I bet others here will have a better answer.

If you stuff a round directly into the chamber and release the slide be aware that the extracter will spring around the base of the cartridge to grab it. That's what it suppposed to do, all right, but the word I read is that it takes a toll on the extracter and it will fail sooner. I haven't had any gun that long but I load only from the magazine now.

Good luck. I'd like to read the answer to this question.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
HOLY Shades of John Moses Browning....Dudessss...

There are two ways to load that semiauto.

1. With the slide forward (which the OP is having trouble doing)...or the much easier...
2. With the slide "locked to the rear"; insert fully loaded magazine, release slide...duhhhh...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a similar issue with one of my 845 magazines. I have 4 mags. Three are no problem, but with the fourth it's VERY hard to rack the slide with all 12 rounds loaded. I have it on a shelf right now with a full load to see if that helps. Bottom line, I think it's you mag causing the problem.

I wouldn't feed loose round through the ejection port...bad for the extractor like bre said.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too own an 24/7 in 45acp. I have not had the same issue. Actually now that i think about, never had an issues with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's response. I would like to comment that if I load 11 in the magazine, I don't have a problem with anyway I load the chamber (locked open or slide forward).

·
Super Moderator
36,789 Posts
My PT145 was like that until the mag spring relaxed a bit after I left the mags fully loaded for a few weeks. I am surprised that after three years they haven't loosened up a bit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is the 12th round hard to get into the mag? My PT145 was like Czechbikr's, with usage it got easier. I can still tell a difference between having 10 vs 9 rounds in the mag and hand cycling the action....much stiffer with 10 rounds. And it is proportional to the difference in ease of loading the 9th vs 10th round....if any of that makes sense....

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must say that, when I'm at the range I never have loaded the magazines to this weapon to the full 12 rounds. I have always more or less taken my time loading only five in each mag. It's just a habit that I got into with shooting the bigger calibers. I more or less take my time. Not wanting to just pull the trigger & firing off shots & losing concentration.

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
Hi Ceci!!

If you can lock the slide back, you have strong enough to put a round in the chamber by pulling the slide, same movement and same strength required. You can also lock the slide back, put one round directly on chamber, release the slide, use decocker or safety and install the mag, this way your pistol will be with 12 + 1 rounds, just be carefull and don't forget to use the safety, decocker or finger out of trigger.
Always load from a mag. and never put a round in the chamber to top off your gun. Autos are designed to have the round slide under the lip of the extractor and not be forced over the lip. This will damage the extractor. I normally just load one in the mag and then insert and load the chamber then finish loading the mag only having to put the last round in once. Its easy on the hands and the extractor. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Always load from a mag. and never put a round in the chamber to top off your gun. Autos are designed to have the round slide under the lip of the extractor and not be forced over the lip. This will damage the extractor. I normally just load one in the mag and then insert and load the chamber then finish loading the mag only having to put the last round in once. Its easy on the hands and the extractor. I hope this helps.
45 Forever
I never put a round directly into the chamber that has been mentioned. Your comment is probably the best way to load the chamber 1st with one in the empty mag. & then finish loading the magazine. There is no problem loading it this way. It's just that I live in Illinois Western Suburbs of Chicago. Have not ever had the experience in carrying a hand gun loaded away from home. Probably never will as long as I live here. But this is where family lives. Wish it was different. Just hope we can get the right politicians in office & maybe that can change. Thanks everyone for your comments.

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
I've not noticed this problem with my .45 24/7 OSS, but I will investigate it on my next Range Session, which should be very soon.

If you stuff a round directly into the chamber and release the slide be aware that the extracter will spring around the base of the cartridge to grab it. That's what it suppposed to do, all right, but the word I read is that it takes a toll on the extracter and it will fail sooner. I haven't had any gun that long but I load only from the magazine now.
I have replaced/repaired a number of Handguns Extractors due to someone releasing the Slide from Slide-Lock with a round in the Chamber, on a regular basis. Not enough to make a living but enough for some extra $$ for some extra goodies. 1911's, Browning Hi-Powers, CZ's, CZ Clones, and 24/7's in particular are some of the designs most susceptible to damage in this manner. Conversely, their Extractor Designs are very strong ones for doing what they are meant to do. Extract!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! After your post I realized the possible damages in the extractor, you are really right, I will review my procedures. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
My 24/7 C .45 used to act like that with the 12rd mag. I fully loaded the 12rd mag and let it sit for a month. That seemed to relax the mag spring and no more problem after that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
With my new .45 OSS I could not get a 12th round in the mags ... no way. I put 11 in them and let them sit a week, and voila... now I can load the 12th. Those springs are really stiff from the factory and need some time to relax a bit.

I'm glad to hear about the extractor problem when loading a 13th round. I wasn't planning on doing that, but the pistol is advertised as holding 12+1 rounds, maybe they should stop that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem is when you load a round directly in the chamber and close the slide, but if you put the round from the magazine, no problem.

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
The problem is when you load a round directly in the chamber and close the slide, but if you put the round from the magazine, no problem.
Exactly Right!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts