Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many people pay attention to CERN (The European Organization for Nuclear Research) and its large hadron collider located in Geneva Switzerland. This is also the home of the birth of the Internet and where a possible replacement to the internet is currently being developed(and no that reprobate Al Gore had nothing to do with it). A dry run as some allege although many feel it was a actual wet run, of the hadron collider was executed in coordination with a rare celestial event: three events occurring simultaneously; a solar eclipse, super moon and spring equinox last Friday March 20th, 2015. The goal of the collider is to recreate a black hole in a controlled environment and or possibly a portal into another dimension. String theory suggests that there are six additional dimensions to the four that are assumed to exist. The biggest concern is that no one truly knows the outcome or impact of these experiments nor who is making the final decisions to go forwards with them. There have been various International law suits filed by researchers and citizen groups to no avail,
Safety of particle collisions at the Large Hadron Collider
Safety of high-energy particle collision experiments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The mystery surrounding these experiments and their outcomes are as ominous as the strange statue erected in front of the facility depicting Shiva Nataraj
the “Lord of the Dance”, in front of what most would assume to be a scientific center not associated with religious or mystical beliefs. “The two most common forms of Shiva’s dance are the Lasya (the gentle form of dance), associated with the creation of the world, and the Tandava (the violent and dangerous dance), associated with the destruction of weary worldviews – weary perspectives & lifestyles. In essence, the Lasya and the Tandava are just two aspects of Shiva’s nature; for he destroys in order to create, tearing down to build again[3].” (Per Wikipedia)

·
Registered
24,606 Posts
Whaaaat???

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Like the position of an electron, its all just a bunch of probabilities (at least as our current understanding dictates). The probabilities for a disaster, in my uneducated opinion, are pretty remote. The probabilities for positive discoveries far outweigh the disaster probabilities.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I seem to remember reading that there were all kinds of dire predictions made when man was approaching the ability to travel faster than the speed of sound.

Traveling to the moon also brought worries about what might, unintentionally, be brought back.

Look at the problems predicted if people allowed all the electriities to run around in the walls of their houses and on wires in the air.

There was a chance, according to some, that our first nuclear weapons could cause an unstoppable chain reaction that would destroy the earth.

Science and technology have always run on the edge of not knowing, for sure, until it was done. If we as a species stop pushing envelopes here and there we are more likely to damage ourselves through stagnation of thought and the inability to rise to the challenges created by our expansion as a species.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Which would you rather live in, a pond or a stream? .......All life in a pond remains in the pond and goes nowhere and soon out lives its environment. However, life in a steam, is not restricted to one place and has the opportunity to grow and expand their boundaries; providing the environment for expansion of the species, enhancing knowledge beyond the confines of physical boarders. All life is at some risk daily, therefore walking on the fine edge of discovery, is a journey worth taking.

2cents.gif

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I seem to remember reading that there were all kinds of dire predictions made when man was approaching the ability to travel faster than the speed of sound.

Traveling to the moon also brought worries about what might, unintentionally, be brought back.

Look at the problems predicted if people allowed all the electriities to run around in the walls of their houses and on wires in the air.

There was a chance, according to some, that our first nuclear weapons could cause an unstoppable chain reaction that would destroy the earth.

Science and technology have always run on the edge of not knowing, for sure, until it was done. If we as a species stop pushing envelopes here and there we are more likely to damage ourselves through stagnation of thought and the inability to rise to the challenges created by our expansion as a species.
Yes all of the above, plus when rail travel was in it's infancy there was some conjecture that at speeds of 30mph or above people would not be able to breathe due to air pressure. People are always afraid of the unknown.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
To quote that esteemed scholar, statesman and well known fountain of wisdom, Charlie Brown, "oh good grief"!

The fears of world destruction via creation of particles are baseless blather vomited forth in a creamy sauce of pseudo science.

Marxist dogma has killed over 94 MILLION people. Subatomic particle generation in colliders, zero. I worry more about slipping on banana peels than falling into femptoscale black holes or cross dimensional portals..

·
Registered
24,606 Posts
You all have put my fears to rest.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Which would you rather live in, a pond or a stream? .......All life in a pond remains in the pond and goes nowhere and soon out lives its environment. However, life in a steam, is not restricted to one place and has the opportunity to grow and expand their boundaries; providing the environment for expansion of the species, enhancing knowledge beyond the confines of physical boarders. All life is at some risk daily, therefore walking on the fine edge of discovery, is a journey worth taking.

View attachment 113546

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I guess they thought the same thing about nuclear fusion. It provides power and electricity to supplement modern life and gives man the ability to annihilate himself in one quick click of a button and that button always seems to be a bit of an object of contention. The question is do you want to unleash that creature out of the pond into the stream, when it doesn't quite know how to live in the pond yet?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Julius Robert Oppenheimer
When the gadget worked said "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

AFS

·
22,301 Posts
Maybe time to lay off the mushrooms, hmm?

The LHC has already been operated, and provided good evidence for the existence of the HIggs Boson.

And the collider does not create black holes. The masses involved are far, far, far, far too small. Far too small.

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Maybe time to lay off the mushrooms, hmm?

The LHC has already been operated, and provided good evidence for the existence of the HIggs Boson.

And the collider does not create black holes. The masses involved are far, far, far, far too small. Far too small.
In theory black holes can be produced at the Planck Mass level. Not black holes like the kind created after massive stars collapse, but it could produce quantum black holes. That's what people hear and assume when they hear black holes.

The thing is if they are produced at all they don't last long at all and pretty much fizzle out with nothing really to show. Cosmic rays impact the earth at similar velocities and we haven't been sucked into a black hole so I don't worry about CERN. :D

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I know a few people I would like to see sucked into a black hole. :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Are we dead yet?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
The title has me curious. Not knowing nearly as much as some folks I am impressed by the phrase "Large Hadron Collider". Are there different sizes, land where are the "Small" and "Medium" one's and have they caused any problems, or if there is only one size why would someone use the term "large" if there was no other option? Was "Large" just used for "shock value"?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts