Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PT24/7 G2 Compact, 40 S&W, blued finish. I would like to get a coating on it, but I don't even know if I can coat the blued metal. If I can coat the metal, what brand should I go with? :confused:

Also I want to make it Olive.

Thanks alot,
kjw211

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
You will have no problem with floating your slide. I only have experience with Duracoat and am impressed with it. I have Duracoated my AR and my PT145 and have nothing but good things to say.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
My slide was blued and now it's OD Green / Olive Drab duracoated:

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
I recommend Cerakote, as it's more durable. I also recommend Brain Ahearn at Easton Firearms Refinishing. EFR - Home

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a few places here in Portland, OR. that are certified to do the job, so i think I am going to get the frame in OD green, and slide in a matte black. then I need to find a good flashlight combo. Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
I have a PT24/7 G2 Compact, 40 S&W, blued finish. I would like to get a coating on it, but I don't even know if I can coat the blued metal. If I can coat the metal, what brand should I go with? :confused:
Also I want to make it Olive.
Thanks alot,
kjw211
Well can't speak for dura coat but Cera -Koat can be applied over really anything, metal, polymer, glass, etc, it was not developed for firearms but due to its good properties it quickly became popular.
the thing with cera koat as opposed to most other coatings is it is NOT a do it at home application, the coating must be applied very thin and the surface must be properly cleaned and prepared.
I would suggest that you check out cera koats website they have litterly hundreds of colors to choose from and a list of authorized dealers pretty much all across the nation.
Olive green and black are very popular colors, i almost went that route with mine but went instead with burnt bronze and graphite black, the 1911 AL had the slide only done in the graphite black, nice flat abbrasion resitant coating with 0 reflectivity.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My slide was blued and now it's OD Green / Olive Drab duracoated:

ever since I first looked at this, I have been watching videos on this gun shooting, and just general reviews. Then I went to the shop today and intimately fondled the compact version, and I really liked it. I am starting to think I need one!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Duracoat is easier.to apply as long as you have space to leave it dry/cure. But ceracoat to me looks better plus its more durable. I've never used it before, duracoat is pretty cheap .

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Duracoat is easier.to apply as long as you have space to leave it dry/cure. But ceracoat to me looks better plus its more durable. I've never used it before, duracoat is pretty cheap .
Cera-Coat itself is not at all expensive a simple small can cost 40 bucks and will pretty much cover 3 average sized guns (pistols).
the cost is in getting someone to prepare the gun and applying the finish to it.
its very similiar to a really good automobile paint job, prep has to be very good as the finished product is thin and flat, so any blems will telegraph through.
The guy (friend that did my 2) totally disassmebled the guns, soaked them in a degreaser, dried them, sprayed them down with aluminum oxide(final cleaning and etching), sprayed with cera-Coat, hung in paint dryer, then lubed/reassembled/ and got them back to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts