1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
And filing a false "End Use" letter is a serious charge.
According to TheFirearm Blog, SigSauer USA forwarded the guns to the DoD which would fit the “end user” description of the end buyer of the guns being the US DoD (US market). The DoD then shipped them to Columbia.

Not being a lawyer I cannot speakto the deep dive details of what the contractual definition of “end use/end user” is.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, German courts are tough and follow a strict interpretation of the laws.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Good! Wish the US courts would stick to the letter of the law rather than allowing activist judges push their own agendas!

·
Registered
507 Posts
According to TheFirearm Blog, SigSauer USA forwarded the guns to the DoD which would fit the “end user” description of the end buyer of the guns being the US DoD (US market). The DoD then shipped them to Columbia.

Not being a lawyer I cannot speakto the deep dive details of what the contractual definition of “end use/end user” is.

Good! Wish the US courts would stick to the letter of the law rather than allowing activist judges push their own agendas!
I don't see how if that were the case it would be any different than a "Straw Purchaser". If Sig Sauer sold them to our DoD knowing that they were really destined for Columbia I'd say Sig was still in serious trouble.

·
Registered
17,404 Posts
This is why I refuse to sell a firearm to anyone from Colombia.<--------notice correct spelling.......:p

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
I don't see how if that were the case it would be any different than a "Straw Purchaser". If Sig Sauer sold them to our DoD knowing that they were really destined for Columbia I'd say Sig was still in serious trouble.
Perhaps this is a case where they were within US law but violated Germany law. I also thought that Sig USA and SigSauer GmbH were separate entities - sister companies in different countries each under he regulation of its “home” company location. I live in Carrollton, Ga but I recognize there is a Carrollton, Tx, Carrollton, KY, etc. But I am under no regulatory rule except where I reside.

“Straw purchase” makes sense but with the international arms dealings I’m not familiar with the law enough to discriminate between end user markets here. Yeah, I understand the FFL concept in arms dealings within the US but I assume there is an international arms licensing which is followed.

May not matter in the end except as a reference. Seems Hk got off witha fine and probation for a few corporate officers but no jail time. Oh, and consider the source of the original article: npr.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, German courts are tough and follow a strict interpretation of the laws.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Unless you happen to be the Germans, selling weapons and material to foreign countries under UN Embargo while profiting from the Oil for Food programs...then it's all, "How dare you attack that peace loving Saddam!" and "Don't you dare look at those shipping labels!"

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
This is why I refuse to sell a firearm to anyone from Colombia.<--------notice correct spelling.......:p
ME too!
course its against the law for me to sale a handgun to anyone from South Carolina anyway, be it Columbia of another City!
If I were Sig I would try to play the old Fast and furious card!

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
23,203 Posts
International law and weapons. Something tells me it's probably pretty complicated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts