Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an area of NC where the only reliable coverage we can get is from Verizon. I need 2 cell phones (one for my wife and one for myself) and I only need unlimited talk on one and low minutes on the other, no text or other gadgets. Does anyone know if there are any plans for seniors or disabled vets that won't break me? I can't get a straight answer from any of the retailers in my area.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
If you don't want to go straight through Verizon, go with Straight Talk on Verizon network at Walmart. If you don't need data, it won't matter about being on 3G or 4G, and they are prepaid. My brother has been using it with unlimited data for a couple years and has been in some pretty rural areas with coverage.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
StraightTalk. Get it at Wal-Mart.

Contract free pay as you go plan.

For $30 ( plus $2 and some change for taxes) you get 1,500 minutes of talk time, unlimited messages, and 100 mb of internet.
$45 is unlimited for non smart phone.

I maybe text 4 times a month and don't do internet, and usually have around 400 minutes left over a month...so it's my perfect plan.

They lease tower rights from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint, so you pretty much have coverage anywhere you can get coverage.

Disclaimer: I did away with my smart phone for a flip phone a few years ago. When it comes to cell phone, I like the ones where you call somebody and they talk to you, or when they call you - you talk to them.

If you have to have a smart phone, straight talk has a $45 a month contract free plan that has to be used for their smart phones. Still cheaper than pretty much all the carrier plans.

I paid $37 for my phone and it's mine forever and it was totally off the grid until I used my debit card to renew my plan, which means I set up an account with straight talk online.

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
We've recently switched the wife to Straight Talk from Verizon, and I use TracFone as I don't talk much. Mine ends up costing me $10 a month. I took my wife's old Verizon iPhone 4 and it didn't even need a new chip. She took my newer iPhone 5 and signed it up with Straight Talk. She did get a chip though. They all work fine. One advantage to a smart phone with Tracfone is you get triple minutes. Both should be available to use the Verizon network.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Are you around WiFi a lot? Work and home? I switched to Republic Wireless. Very limited availability on phones, but cannot be beat for 10 bucks a month. I bought the Moto E for 99 bucks, and pay 12.34 a month after taxes. Unlimited calling and text messages. When at home, I connect to the Wi Fi...... when out and about, no Data but calls and texts through sprint..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts