Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am brand spankin' new to this forum. My PT 145 has been in the shop for an extended period of time and I am looking for a replacement summer carry weapon. I originally thought that another compact .45 autoloader would be a good idea, but since I already have one (if they ever send it back) I'm thinking that a revolver would be a nice addition.

Anyway, I've looked around on the Taurus website and there are many nice revolvers to choose from. Perhaps too many! I'd like something that is .357 or greater and not incredibly difficult to control. Weight isn't too much of an issue for me, so I'm thinking that stainless might help to bring the recoil down a bit. I'd like something relatively accurate up to 30-40 feet so Im thinking that a snub-nose might not be the best choice and a longer barrel will also help to bring the recoil down a bit. I'd love to have barrel ports to help keep it down as well (not to mention that I think they are pretty cool!). Finally, the thing needs to be decently concealable. I never wear IWB, so it'll generally be worn OWB.

Anyway, I figure that this is about the best place to get some good thoughts from people who probably actually own and carry a couple of Taurus firearms that fit the bill.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The model 605 comes in 2 and 3 inch barrels for .357 mag. The model 617 is a 7 shot and a little larger/heavier than the 605. I can't remember if it comes in a 3 inch barrel or not. There are also hammerless versions in snub. A model 65 or 66 (not sure the number) is a 4 inch and still even larger.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Go with the 605 if you want .357. You can have the hammer bobbed if you want to pocket carry. I had a 605 for a while and found it to be a nice little gun. However, be warned, the little bugger will kick like a horse with full power .357 rounds.

If you don't mind going the .38+P route (which is what I would recommend for summer carry), then get the Model 85 Taurus UL.

Todd

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
For IWB, I find a medium frame .357 magnum easy to shoot and a 3" barrel quite concealable. My M66 has one more round than my new Ruger SP101, doesn't weigh much more, and the Hogue monogrip I have on it makes it more pleasant to shoot. It's also a little more accurate with the longer sight radius of the 3" barrel. I like 3" barrels for .357s. Also, 2" barrels can attenuate the magnum's performance to not much over 400 ft lbs with lots of flash/bang. The added inch gives better, more magnum like performance, though 400 ft lbs is still better than the 290 or so I get out of a hot +P .38 from a 2" barrel. I just like 3" guns for IWB carry, but it won't work in a pocket with the longer tube. Another advantage, of course, in the medium frame 3" gun is an extra round capacity, six vs five shots. It really is not much harder to conceal and carry than a 5 shot steel frame snub. Something to think about, anyway.

I have a M85UL that works well out of a pocket despite the lack of a concealed hammer. Light weight is desirable in a pocket, under 20 ounces. For purely pocket carry (I prefer a single action capability), a concealed hammer won't catch on clothing. The .38 special +P is plenty of cartridge for self defense and is a lot easier to shoot in a light weight gun. I limit my magnum guns to 25 ounces or more, but that's a personal choice I guess. If you're masochistic, one of the titanium .357s might be okay for you. But, I'm allergic to pain and tend to flinch if I know I'm about to get hurt. LOL! I've been shooting a lot of years and ain't ashamed to admit the little sub 20 ounce cannons just ain't for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A lot of good info here, the problem as I see it ,using full house 357's out of a light revolver will cause one of two things. A bad case of the flinch's or a tendency not to practice as much as is needed.Neither of which is conducive to good shooting my2c Doug

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
WeThePeople said:
Hello all. I am brand spankin' new to this forum. My PT 145 has been in the shop for an extended period of time and I am looking for a replacement summer carry weapon. I originally thought that another compact .45 autoloader would be a good idea, but since I already have one (if they ever send it back) I'm thinking that a revolver would be a nice addition.

Anyway, I've looked around on the Taurus website and there are many nice revolvers to choose from. Perhaps too many! I'd like something that is .357 or greater and not incredibly difficult to control. Weight isn't too much of an issue for me, so I'm thinking that stainless might help to bring the recoil down a bit. I'd like something relatively accurate up to 30-40 feet so Im thinking that a snub-nose might not be the best choice and a longer barrel will also help to bring the recoil down a bit. I'd love to have barrel ports to help keep it down as well (not to mention that I think they are pretty cool!). Finally, the thing needs to be decently concealable. I never wear IWB, so it'll generally be worn OWB.

Anyway, I figure that this is about the best place to get some good thoughts from people who probably actually own and carry a couple of Taurus firearms that fit the bill.
For every plus there is a minus: Light Weight, Easier to Carry, & Harder To Shoot; vs Heavier Weight, Less Ease of Carry, Easier to Shoot. My 24oz Taurus® Mdl 605 3" is a great gun but with full tilt 357 Magnum loads it will beat the snot out of you! The only 357 loads I've found that are manageable are MagTech® Guardian Gold & Remington® Golden Saber; both 125gr BJHP's. These loads however are "Medium Velocity" (1220fps) much less than "Full Tilt" 1450fps 125gr JHP's. Now my 30oz Taurus® Mdl 617 2¼" Barrel 357 Mag is a lot more controlable with the hot stuff. This gun came with "Combat Grips" shown here: http://www.taurususa.com/products/31230920.htm. Using the above two loads it's fine to shoot. If I go the 158gr stuff or higher however I need to use these "Ribber" grips: http://www.taurususa.com/products/5-20001.htm As for porting; it's way over rated IMHO. Porting will momentarily blind you in a night time shoot & cause loss of focus on the threat. The use of any ported gun is strictly forbidden in my Dept.

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
WeThePeople said:
Has anyone tried concealing a Tracker in .357?
Not a tracker, but my 3" 66 (medium frame) does well with a Hogue grip. It weighs a few ounces more than a steel frame tracker. I've often though the lighter Titanium tracker would really carry well IWB at 24 ounces or whatever it is and the bigger grip would make it almost pleasant to shoot with 125 grain stuff, which isn't as nasty as the heavier grain stuff in my experience.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Taurus 617 in titainium. 20 ozs. 7 shots. Ribber grips. It's accurate and a joy to shoot if you don't mind a little recoil.
I also have a 12 oz. S&W 360 in .357. Now that's a hand full. It can make your hand bleed :eek:
And has. I now wear a glove when shooting it.
Oscar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts