Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions for something I can drop in my pocket when I don't feel like carrying my PT145 or Glock 23. Something similar to an airweight or similar S&W J-frame model Although I have a PT145, I'm not too familar w/ Taurus' revolvers, so any help would be appreciated. Ideally a hammerless/shrouded hammer would be best. Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would think any of the ultralight models, especially those with a bobbed or shrouded hammer would fit your needs. One of the ultimate-titanium models would be good, but they kick like a mule. The Model 85 UL with a bobbed hammer would be a good bet.

Todd

·
Registered
126 Posts
I recently bought the 651, great little .357! I would not go ultra lite for full house loads, the .357's are brutal in the all steel 651, even worse in a lite gun (but it sure is nice to have the option for a few more bucks). The shrouded hammer is pretty nice too, SA when you want it bt still DA safe in the holster, and no snags.

·
Super Moderator
35,599 Posts
I load and shoot on occasion +P in my M85 Ultralite. It's rated for 'em and shoots well. I carry +P 158s in the gun in a pocket. At 17 or so ounces, it's like it's not there, at least until needed.

For pure pocket carry, though, better to go hammerless or, my favorite (though I don't have one) the shrouded hammer models. One less thing to catch clothing on the way out. My M85 doesn't give me such problems, though. I just slide my thumb up on the hammer on the draw instinctively, probably a habit from my single action shooting. But, you'll find the ultralites carry a lot easier and in .38 special, they aren't hard to shoot. Now, a 12 ounce .357 magnum, well, I'd stoke it with .38s, put it that way, LOL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Model 85 UL with std hammer and it shoots well. Can't imagine wanting to shoot .357's in a gun about this size. I like my S&W Model 642 better, but the Taurus is a nice pistol. I also have a solid stainless Model 85 and it has been a good revolver, also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. A couple of questions:

What's the difference between the 650 and 651 and the 850 and 851?

What's the right way to load from a speed strip? One at a time, a couple at a time, the whole thing?

Thanks in advance.

·
32,789 Posts
Here goes.

Models 850 and 650 are in .38 Special and .357 magnum calibers respectively. These are double action only triggers for each and every shot. No external hammers. These are called the CIA models by Taurus.

851 and 651 are in .38 Special and .357 magnum calibers respectively. These have a small section of the hammer exposed for those who want the ability to thumb cock the revolver for a more precise shot if there is time or if it is needed. Both of these models are double action and single action capable.

These and the ones mentioned above are all snag free. This is needed for those who pocket carry or keeps the external hammer's spur from hanging up on even holsters.

As for the Bianchi SPeed Strips, one peels off one round at a time as they align the charge holes to fill them back up. It is possible to line up the cylinder chambers with each new round and peel each succeeding round of ammo.

There is a school of thought from the people who teach tactics that it is better to carry only 5 rounds per strip rather than 6 that are normally carried.

Several reasons for this. It makes for easier manipulation of strip under stress and more conducive for simple reloading. The extra round not being there does not get into the way during the act of recharging the gun.

Easier to hide the spare ammo_One less round makes the strip easier to conceal in a pocket and lay flat.

Others should have more to add.

·
Super Moderator
35,599 Posts
The grip on that 650 doesn't look very pocket friendly. The "boot grip" on my M85 slides right into a pocket no problem. You need more grip, though, if you're carrying a .357 Magnum. I don't even consider the lightweight magnums. Might be okay for you, but I have fired a Smith airlite with hot magnums and it was not enjoyable. LOL I just got a Ruger SP101 and it's not too bad with 125 or 140 grain loads. 158s start to annoy me and 180s, well, they hurt. LOL But, that gun weighs almost as much as my medium frame guns, quells a good bit of recoil with weight, and it's not very pocket friendly. I carry it IWB. Frankly, I can carry a medium frame gun just as easy IWB, but I like the little gun. ;D I reckon I'd sell it before I'd sell my M85, though, because I do pocket carry a lot.

If I carried an airlite .357, I'd carry it with .38 specials loaded in it. But, why pay the price for a titanium gun when I got my 85UL for about $285? I mean, I KNOW I'm not going to shoot magnums out of a gun that's less than 20 ounces, this is a fact. But, if you can handle a 12 ounce full house magnum, go for it, just ain't for me and I've been shooting hard kicking magnums for a long time. I do know my limits of tolerance, though, LOL!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That CrimsonTrace grip works just fine in my right front pocket,I do not wear jeans and have plenty of room in my cargo pants. Doug

·
Super Moderator
35,599 Posts
All depends on the wardrobe. I have cargo jeans and wear carpenters jeans a lot, big, deep pockets. I never bought a pair of dockers in my life and only own one suit, the one I got married in, and it don't fit anymore. LOL!

I don't like carryin' in a cargo pocket, gun flops around and bangs the knee, etc. Heavier the gun, the worse the effect. It does need to go in the front pocket, for sure. You can carry a bigger gun if you modify your dress a bit. I'm a jeans guy, though, roll around on the shop floor in the grease and dirt all day fixing things mechanical. My 85 barely fits with its abbreviated grip, but does fit. Actually fits better than my little Kel Tec P11 in the cargo jeans, but I carry that P11 a lot in the carpenter's jeans. Just the cut of the mouth of the pocket makes that difference. I'd probably have to show you what I'm talking about, but the pants make all the difference and for a guy that carries every day, shopping for clothes can be more important than guns. LOL!

·
Registered
23 Posts
NativeTexan,I could not agree more, the fit of clothing while CCWing,if that is a word,is paramount.I cannot wear jeans the are to confining to me,way to many good meals LOL, most cargo pants have fairly large front pockets . Doug

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of great info, thanks for the replies. One last question (I think): when you do pocket carry a small frame revolver, do you just drop it in your pocket or are you using a pocket holsters? Even with the heavy trigger pull do you consider it safe to be carried in a pocket w/o a holster, assuming you don't carry anything else in the same pocket?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
35,599 Posts
Use a pocket holster and don't put anything in there, change and stuff, just the gun. The holster will hold the gun in place and not let it flop around or fall out when running or laying down or whatever, and it will keep the dust bunnies somewhat at bay. Oh, and, the gun will rapidly wear out your pocket without a holster. The holster helps more evenly distribute the load over a larger area.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I sometimes will carry my 642 in a pocket without a holster. A holster is definately the way to go, but as long as you don't have keys and other items in your pocket, I think you can get by without the holster.

However, and this is important, when taking the gun out of your pocket, KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE TRIGGER. I'd hate to hear of you getting neutered.

Todd

·
Registered
128 Posts
I always use a pocket holster for pants/slacks pocket carry but mostly for keeping it lint and scratch free. But I've carried in jacket pockets without a holster with no issues about safety.

firecaptdave said:
A lot of great info, thanks for the replies. One last question (I think): when you do pocket carry a small frame revolver, do you just drop it in your pocket or are you using a pocket holsters? Even with the heavy trigger pull do you consider it safe to be carried in a pocket w/o a holster, assuming you don't carry anything else in the same pocket?

Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got a 605SSCH it's in my avatar and the gallery wearing crimson trace grips and it's loaded with Speer short barrel 357's which still bark but dont bite as bad as some rounds do and it is very accurate out past 15 yds for me. I usually carry in a holster but at times just drop it in my jeans pocket and go, nice for those quick trips to the store where youre in and out quick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well...I do so love my Tarui auto for primary OWB carry, however, if I carry in the pocket...I go with the S&W 642...which, IMHO, is the best choice out there.

I've found that Mika's pocket holster is afordable and the best. I carry in a pair of Dockers or Cargo shorts...the holster stays in the pocket and the revolver presents very quick! Light, inexpensive...carry 110 gr. Corbon DPX. This is a "up close" and last resort personal defense weapon, however. In tight jeans...only the Kel Tek P3AT is possible for me to carry. I much prefer carrying .357 mag or .45 ACP on the waist in a good holster and belt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.