Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm going to shift this to Concealed Carry as you'll get a better response there.

No harm, no foul.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Here's a site to take a look at: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Generally once you have your own State, there is a local course that will qualify you for another State's permit, generally its either Utah or Florida. I know that I'm looking to add one or the other of them when I renew my permit this summer.

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
The guy I am going to be taking mine from, teaches, Kentucky, Ohio, Utah, and Florida. I will be asking him about getting more than Kentucky myself. Seems to be common these days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in north carolina and I was wondering if it would behove me to get more than one

·
Registered
109 Posts
You may check you state's website. The Tennessee permit is accepted in 33 states.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Colorado permit is accepted in 26 other states. Also, Colorado does not accept FL and UT because they are so easy to get for non-residents. Colorado only accepts a resident CCW permit.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I personally decided not to pursue, getting a Kentucky & Florida CCW. It would not have improved my carry permission accross the country, and would have increased my cost to obtain a CCW.

If I traveled a lot, I only go out of state once or twice a year it would be worth it. If I fly, I will not be carrying for obvious reasons, but one gun will go with me in my luggage. (Yes you can take a gun on an airplane, but just not carry on or concealed) You contact the airline for their rules, and the TSA gets involved too, when your at the airport.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Be careful with the airline thing. Ignorance is not bliss there, it's a felony. If you do it right there will be no problems. Make sure to contact them before hand and get instruction. Do not, I repeat DO NOT!! try to carry your gun in the airport.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
Be careful with the airline thing. Ignorance is not bliss there, it's a felony. If you do it right there will be no problems. Make sure to contact them before hand and get instruction. Do not, I repeat DO NOT!! try to carry your gun in the airport.
Oh you are definitely correct! I know about airports, I worked at them all over the country for 33 years. Each Airline can set their own guidelines, and then they must meet TSA guidelines also. Including a check by TSA of your checked firearm, after the airline does their check. So check it out in advance with the airline.

DO NOT CARRY CONCEALED IN ANY AIRPORT!! UNLESS YOU ENJOY JAIL TIME, OR AT THE MINIMUM BEING DETAINED.

I chose not to post what I know the guidelines to be, as everyone should personally make sure they have checked for themselves at the airports they are going to be traveling thru, not just the one where their trip starts.

·
22,058 Posts
(Yes you can take a gun on an airplane, but just not carry on or concealed) You contact the airline for their rules, and the TSA gets involved too, when your at the airport.
Checked baggage only and pre-arranged with the airline's specific rules. No guns in the cabin unless you are a Marshall. I know Delta has info on our public web site as to what procedures you need to follow to pack your firearm in baggage..

Repeat of previous post.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
airwrench said:
Checked baggage only and pre-arranged with the airline's specific rules. No guns in the cabin unless you are a Marshall. I know Delta has info on our public web site as to what procedures you need to follow to pack your firearm in baggage..

Repeat of previous post.
Can not be said enough, My CCW instructor is a pilot for the same airline, and a gun carrying pilot at that. We did discuss this at lenght, but you need to know the individual rules for your airline, and airport prior to arrival at the airport.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In south carolina, we can get the utah CC, and its recognized in like 30 states.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well I have heard some states will only accept the Utah, if you have a resident address in Utah. So check the laws before you carry in any state beyond your home state.

·
Registered
696 Posts
When I took my Kansas CCW My instructor also taught Utah, so I got it at the same time. Very simple paperwork and you have to send them fingerprint cards done by certified LEO and passport type photo. My instructor provided the fingerprint cards and I had them done by my local Sheriff at the same time as they did my Kansas permit. Takes a while to get it back as they are backlogged. Check their website at http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPHome.html

·
Registered
280 Posts
Robby said:
Well I have heard some states will only accept the Utah, if you have a resident address in Utah. So check the laws before you carry in any state beyond your home state.
Colorado is one of those states. It is the same for the Florida permit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts