Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story the long way. I'm going to get my MS CCW "enhanced" permit.
MS is a constitutional carry state. No permit needed for limited open or concealed carry*.
*You have to carry in a holster.
*you can't carry in a school, bar/restaurant, meeting room, sporting...
Now if I get and standard MS ccw permit I still can't carry in those places but it allows me to ccw in a few other states.
Now if I pay to get "enhanced training" endorsement on top of paying for the permit I can carry everywhere but federal buildings, LEO stations and "non public access" public places. Most every State reciprocates this "enhanced" permit.
I have my Florida state ccw that is now a non res Fl ccw as I moved back to MS. My Fl non res ccw gives me rights in most other states. Florida requires classes so it should be equal to MS enhanced but...
This is the same kind of non sense states did with drivers license a hundred years ago.

So I'm going to pay/extorted $250 to the state of Mississippi for my A2 rights even though its a constitutional carry state. I'll pick up south Carolina, Pennsylvania, Colorado, NV, MI over my non res FL ccw.
It Get gets better, i check into getting the "enhanced" endorsement. Not many classes until next year. The one that's available is $240 and requires you to shoot 250 rounds in class. Out of their mind.
I found a place an hour and twenty minutes away that's a one day / 50 round $120 class . I talked to the instructor and because of ammo shortage i can shoot my Ruger mark II .22 in class.
I hope i can keep it together. After seeing his training videos, this guy seems to be a tacticool glock instructor . But i guess most instructors are now a days. As long as he doesn't shoot himself in the leg and i get my piece of paper, i'll behave myself.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
We, in Ohio, are fortunate. My CCW class (the year Ohio became a shall issue state, 2004) my class cost $60. Currently, if you are a Veteran, you don't need to take the class, nor is there a fee for getting your permit or renewing it - as of 2018. We have reciprocity in 39 states. And where I live - pretty much rural - Law Enforcement is very CHL friendly. The problem with Constitutional carry is that it's only valid in the state of residence, or other states with Constitutional Carry. That said, I don't know if you are aware of this site (Handgunlaw.us), but if not, check it out. Gary Slicker runs a very current and accurate site. I check on it on a regular basis. He also lists the Attorney General's website for each state, so it's simple to get the latest information from any state.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I've had a Bama permit for a long time- at least since the early 90's. No class required- just a clean record and $20/ year or $100 for 5 years. We can not carry on state or Fed property, in liquor stores or businesses that only sell booze. Restaurants are okay though, even if they sell liquor.
I do recommend taking a class though, especially if you were not raised with guns.

·
Registered
601 Posts
PA is a "shall issue" state unless there is something disqualifying in your record or background check. No formal class needed here in PA. My first CCW was $19 for five years and they did call my two references I listed on my application. It may now be $20 or $21 for five years. At one point during the shutdown they had a line at the Court House out the door processing applications. In,...out,....on the spot. I had neighbors who got their CCW before they purchased their first firearm.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Super Moderator
36,067 Posts
I did my first renewal on my ILLinois CCW permit about eight months back and glad I did since they are backed up on everything here. It's funny that many states recognize the IL permit although this state won't allow others to carry. The non-resident fee is even higher than the exorbitant amount they gouge residents for. I have also renewed my UT non-resident permit twice now and between the two I can go to a lot of different states, but not FL or SC.

The real kicker is that once an IL resident moves out of state and gets their new DL in their new home state, IL is notified and the permit here is nullified.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We, in Ohio, are fortunate. My CCW class (the year Ohio became a shall issue state, 2004) my class cost $60. Currently, if you are a Veteran, you don't need to take the class, nor is there a fee for getting your permit or renewing it - as of 2018. We have reciprocity in 39 states. And where I live - pretty much rural - Law Enforcement is very CHL friendly. The problem with Constitutional carry is that it's only valid in the state of residence, or other states with Constitutional Carry. That said, I don't know if you are aware of this site (Handgunlaw.us), but if not, check it out. Gary Slicker runs a very current and accurate site. I check on it on a regular basis. He also lists the Attorney General's website for each state, so it's simple to get the latest information from any state.
I just got my Ohio CCW, seriously, like a half hour ago when I brought in the mail. It took exactly one week from dropping off my paperwork at the Greene County Sheriff’s office to being in my mailbox. I like Greene county. Not only are they the only ones in SW Ohio still doing walk-ins, but they were damn quick about it. The only states that don’t recognize Ohio’s permits are states I’m not likely to visit anytime soon anyway.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In Alabama all you do is walk into the Sheriffs office, slapp your drivers license and a $20 bill on the counter, back up three steps and get photoed. In ten minutes or less its printed out.
It is excepted by as many states as my Fl non Res or my MS enhanced.
This is a joke i tell you. I have over fifty years in hunting, target and competitive shooting. Once i have documentation of this and been checked out by certified instructor it should be good in anywhere. Other states recognize my ccw until I move to that state and then its no good and have to start over? Better yet, my ccw was good and accepted by another state but when i move to another state, i got dumber and can't carry in their state now? (If i moved to CA there may be some truth)
Criminal by my address, Not my knowledge, ability, constitutional right or where i lived before? The harder i try not to be illegal the more they try and make me outside "their law" . Which isn't the law at all. Shall Not Infringe

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a citizen of the USA, having never been convicted of a felony. Therefore, according to the US Constitution, I should be legally able to carry anywhere, any time in any state. Period. No CCW needed, it comes as a birthright

Reactions: Ickthus

·
Registered
163 Posts
They passed that veterans free law a month after I renewed my Ohio CCW. I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for this, but I don't agree with that law. First of all, not all veterans (at least when I was in 67-71) rx firearms training. Some branches never even fired a weapon of any type. Why would they be qualified to carry concealed? Even Marines who ALL trained on rifle range, pistol range, M-60 machine gun, M-79 grenade launchers, 3.5 rocket launchers, flame throwers, etc, etc while being fully qualified to handle a weapon, didn't learn a damned thing about current laws, restrictions, + liabilities. IMO, that was the biggest thing I got outta my CCW class. The weapons training, for me, was a waste of my time. The rest of the class INVALUABLE! Don't get me wrong, I like them throwin a few thing our way for our service, but this was an asinine move to put a feather in THEIR hat.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
They passed that veterans free law a month after I renewed my Ohio CCW. I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for this, but I don't agree with that law. First of all, not all veterans (at least when I was in 67-71) rx firearms training. Some branches never even fired a weapon of any type. Why would they be qualified to carry concealed? Even Marines who ALL trained on rifle range, pistol range, M-60 machine gun, M-79 grenade launchers, 3.5 rocket launchers, flame throwers, etc, etc while being fully qualified to handle a weapon, didn't learn a damned thing about current laws, restrictions, + liabilities. IMO, that was the biggest thing I got outta my CCW class. The weapons training, for me, was a waste of my time. The rest of the class INVALUABLE! Don't get me wrong, I like them throwin a few thing our way for our service, but this was an asinine move to put a feather in THEIR hat.
You have some valid points. However, more salient to the point, if in fact one believes in the 2nd Amendment, there should be no test, qualification or licensing for a person to carry a firearm. I call it a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got my Ohio CCW, seriously, like a half hour ago when I brought in the mail. It took exactly one week from dropping off my paperwork at the Greene County Sheriff’s office to being in my mailbox. I like Greene county. Not only are they the only ones in SW Ohio still doing walk-ins, but they were damn quick about it. The only states that don’t recognize Ohio’s permits are states I’m not likely to visit anytime soon anyway.
Scioto county is taking up to 30 days from time you drop off paperwork, but hear neighboring Pike Co. is like Greene - about a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Scioto county is taking up to 30 days from time you drop off paperwork, but hear neighboring Pike Co. is like Greene - about a week.

Thanks to DeWhine, until June 31, we can visit any of Ohio’s friendly county sheriffs in pursuit of a CCW permit.

Reactions: Braveheart1

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
In Alabama all you do is walk into the Sheriffs office, slapp your drivers license and a $20 bill on the counter, back up three steps and get photoed. In ten minutes or less its printed out.
It is excepted by as many states as my Fl non Res or my MS enhanced.
This is a joke i tell you. I have over fifty years in hunting, target and competitive shooting. Once i have documentation of this and been checked out by certified instructor it should be good in anywhere. Other states recognize my ccw until I move to that state and then its no good and have to start over? Better yet, my ccw was good and accepted by another state but when i move to another state, i got dumber and can't carry in their state now? (If i moved to CA there may be some truth)
Criminal by my address, Not my knowledge, ability, constitutional right or where i lived before? The harder i try not to be illegal the more they try and make me outside "their law" . Which isn't the law at all. Shall Not Infringe
You're behind the times a little. You don't have to even leave the house any more.

You can do it online and they will use your driver's license pic now. Locally, they farmed it out to a 3rd party about 6 years ago and they take about 3-4 weeks. I spoke to the local Sheriff and he said that it was due to high demand- he had 3 full time clerks working on nothing but permits and was still falling behind. It had gotten so bad that they were setting appointments for first time applicants and had set up an online kiosk for renewals in the lobby.

The issue that other states have with the Alabama system is that it leaves the requirements to the County Sheriff. There's some basic limits- like no longer than 5 years- but the rest is up to the Sheriff.

Apparently, the requirements set are reasonable, since Alabama has the highest percentage of permits issued to eligible residents in the nation (about 22.5% of those eligible or 12% of the total population- and we don't issue non-resident permits). If you're in Alabama and you're standing in a line at the grocery store with 4 other people, then the percentages say that at least one of you has a legally carried gun on them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks to DeWhine, until June 31, we can visit any of Ohio’s friendly county sheriffs in pursuit of a CCW permit.
I’d already started process with Scioto when found out about Pike. I should receive sometime around second week of December is what I was told. We will see. Been two weeks today since a applied.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I’d already started process with Scioto when found out about Pike. I should receive sometime around second week of December is what I was told. We will see. Been two weeks today since a applied.

You may get it sooner. Even Greene county told me it would be 14 to 21 days from when I turned in my paperwork, then it was in my mailbox a week later. They have up to 45 days to get it done.

The thing that cracked me up was having to bring that passport photo- $16 at Walgreens- and then they took my picture there anyway, and that’s the one that made it on my permit.

Reactions: Braveheart1

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're behind the times a little. You don't have to even leave the house any more.

You can do it online and they will use your driver's license pic now. Locally, they farmed it out to a 3rd party about 6 years ago and they take about 3-4 weeks. I spoke to the local Sheriff and he said that it was due to high demand- he had 3 full time clerks working on nothing but permits and was still falling behind. It had gotten so bad that they were setting appointments for first time applicants and had set up an online kiosk for renewals in the lobby.

The issue that other states have with the Alabama system is that it leaves the requirements to the County Sheriff. There's some basic limits- like no longer than 5 years- but the rest is up to the Sheriff.

Apparently, the requirements set are reasonable, since Alabama has the highest percentage of permits issued to eligible residents in the nation (about 22.5% of those eligible or 12% of the total population- and we don't issue non-resident permits). If you're in Alabama and you're standing in a line at the grocery store with 4 other people, then the percentages say that at least one of you has a legally carried gun on them.
It must be up to each sheriff . In Mobile county two years ago, the ccw permit was printed and issued on the spot. All that was required was a drivers license and $20. I gave my cousin and her friend private classroom and range lessons with my revolvers and auto's of different actions, caliber and barrel length. We went to a few gun shows so they could put as many guns in their hands. When they figured out what hand gun they wanted, if I didn't have it I found a rental range and we shot some more. Then bought the handgun they liked and shot well. Basic gun knowledge, safety ,uses and hitting center mass completed with a gun of their liking we went to the sheriff for a permit.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I did my first renewal on my ILLinois CCW permit about eight months back and glad I did since they are backed up on everything here. It's funny that many states recognize the IL permit although this state won't allow others to carry. The non-resident fee is even higher than the exorbitant amount they gouge residents for. I have also renewed my UT non-resident permit twice now and between the two I can go to a lot of different states, but not FL or SC.

The real kicker is that once an IL resident moves out of state and gets their new DL in their new home state, IL is notified and the permit here is nullified.
Geez, what a bunch of wieners in charge of that set up! :cautious:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts