Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you carry one mag or carry a back up mag? the reason I ask is there seems to be alot of questions on this matter in alot of the weapon magiznes I have been reading as of later. the cases that are clearly an act of defense, get turned around because of the amount of ammo the person, who defened themself, was carrying. One story I read, was 1911 as the weapon, one in the pipe full mag and back up mag, and he was sentenced to murder. By what model do you go by the police, the police who carry 3 mags,or more, any info on this would help,

also I just got a box of Corbon 200g JHP +P, 20 rounds, 2 mags, defense is what i bought them for, I know that there are some LEO's on this site, would you consider this to much as basic load out.

Administrator
I carry an extra magazine in the pickup, but only carry the firearm with one in the chamber and a full mag on my person. 11 rounds total not counting my spare.

Premium Member
Smokewagon said:
I carry an extra magazine in the pickup, but only carry the firearm with one in the chamber and a full mag on my person. 11 rounds total not counting my spare.
I would anticipate that I would only carry the Semi Auto with one mag in it. A wheel gun, one load plus a 2nd load either loose or in a loader. That in my case comes out to the same # of rounds, 12.

Registered
Whatever semi-auto I carry at any given time, there are two
extra mags for that gun.

Registered
Theres the mag in the gun (full plus 1 in the chamber) and a spare on me, total of 21 rounds usually. There is also another mag in the vehicle. When I was carrying a 1911 there were 2 spare magazines. If I'm carry a revolver there is usually 2 reloads (1 speed loader and 1 speed strip).

A legal shoot should be just that. Now if your defense attorney sucks and the prosecutor is very aggressive then....

Part of me wonders if this is in the same category as getting prosecuted for using hand loaded ammo.

Steelheart

Registered
most police i noticed around here carry a total of 3, 1 in the gun and 2 on the belt.

the biggest thing with carrying concealed is you got one extra thing ot worry about..

a lot of semi's today carry plenty of ammo for most SD events.. 10 rounds should be enough dont you think?

however if Murphy has his way sure enough you'll need 11.

as for legal issues if they are carrying a reload and they only shot the guy twice exactly what difference does it make if he had a extra reload anyway?

beyond that if it's justified why would it suddenly be murder cause he carried extra ammo?

i dont get it, but anyway if you just never know when you're gonna need the extra ammo.. just like you never know when you're gonna need your gun thats why you carry in the first place, it's the "ya never know" peace of mind.

Registered
My 9mm holds 16+1. I carry an extra magazine, just in case something happens to the one in the gun.
My revolver has 5 in the gun, one speedloader and one speed strip. Total 16 rounds.

Registered
I have no CCW permit, so maybe no say in this. But I have to think that the case you're talking about must have had some extenuating circumstances other than amount of ammo on hand. I couldn't imagine a murder VERDICT(unanimous jury of 12) soley based on extra backup ammo. There's a lot of 'I heard of this one case' type of rumor that goes around, especially about firearms. If one gets a jury of 12 to decide that a shooting was an act of MURDER, defined as: "the unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse", obviously ammo count would not be the deciding factor. If one were to carry 1 round of ammo and killed someone with a shot to the back of the head, with no evidence that one was preventing any sort of injury to himself or others from occurring, than that could be murder. At the same time, someone carrying 100 rounds of backup ammo who only shoots one round to end a life-endangering threat to himself or others would be justified. Even if tried for a shooting, regardless of how much back-up ammo or how many rounds shot, a jury of 12 would have to decide that a shooting was beyond the shadow of a doubt-"UNLAWFUL WITHOUT JUSTIFICATION OR EXCUSE". A murder trial is almost impossible to prosecute even in the clearest cases of pre-meditated(first degree) murder, that is why many murderers get off with manslaughter charges.

With that being said. Once I do get my CCW, I don't plan on carrying extra mags. Not for legal reasons but for the fact that my 24/7 pro .40 holds 15+1. I'm not planning for the apocolypse(although I just bought 1000 rounds of .40) just for crazies trying to attack me or my fiance or my dog. I think that 16 rounds should get the job done. If the situation is really bad enough that it doesn't I guess I'm screwed(or a really bad shot).

Registered
If I were to carry concealed which I can't for most of the day (truck driver) I would carry a spare mag. It doesn't matter how many rounds your mag holds if it fails you only have one round to use. :eek:

Registered
sounds like everyone is prepared for an old fashion shoot out with all the ammo on hand. If your properly trained and adequate with your weapon you should only need 1 or 2 rounds. im assuming most carry the .40-.45 cal pistol not a .22lr
Rich

Premium Member
paul_bunyun007 said:
sounds like everyone is prepared for an old fashion shoot out with all the ammo on hand. If your properly trained and adequate with your weapon you should only need 1 or 2 rounds. im assuming most carry the .40-.45 cal pistol not a .22lr
Rich
Actually, recently I have had a 357 6 rd in my pocket for a walking around gun. I have not bought speed loaders for it, so I carry 6 extra loose in the other vest pocket.

My 45 is 13" long and about 6.5" tall, so I do not carry it far.

Registered
paul_bunyun007 said:
Rich
yes well "old fashion" shoot outs still happen from time to time, not to mention shooting sprees which have similar requirements... thats one area carrying a gun is useful in..

why carry for one type of incident but not another?

i think the omaha mall and the church shooting are good recent examples, no one could legally carry in the mall an the church shooting was thankfully over quickly.

however assuming there was someone packing in the mall you easily could have needed a reload if you did'nt get a clean shot.

or perhaps take your chances running.

Registered
paul_bunyun007 said:
Rich
What level of training are you referring to? If you are referring to the One Shot Stop type of comparing loads for a given caliber that is only a unit of measure not a tactical philosophy.

Steelheart

Registered
Steelheart said:
What level of training are you referring to? If you are referring to the One Shot Stop type of comparing loads for a given caliber that is only a unit of measure not a tactical philosophy.

Steelheart
Amen, Steelheart!

Registered
steelheart

im thinking the One Stop shot type. if your defending self i think it would happen within a few feet of each other and it would only take a few seconds at most.

if you are at a mall and someone opens up and starts shooting at other people I don't think you have the right to just shoot the person(only if you are defending yourself not others thats the cops job) A tactical instance would have u go and find cover than think of a way to wound or kill said person. Thats just my thoughts hell i would just like to blast the guy but now a days the criminals have more rights than us law abiding citzens

Registered
The One Shot Stop idea is based on Marshall and Sanow's data on actual shooting results (as well as a mathematical estimate that can be done). The One Shot Stop was simply a unit of measure to attempt to track/sort the data gathered over the years.

If you'd like more information on this, here's Evan Marshalls site: http://www.stoppingpower.net/
Just a word of advice, the forum rules in the upper left hand corner are enforced without exception.

Steelheart

Registered
paul_bunyun007 said:
steelheart

im thinking the One Stop shot type. if your defending self i think it would happen within a few feet of each other and it would only take a few seconds at most.

if you are at a mall and someone opens up and starts shooting at other people I don't think you have the right to just shoot the person(only if you are defending yourself not others thats the cops job) A tactical instance would have u go and find cover than think of a way to wound or kill said person. Thats just my thoughts hell i would just like to blast the guy but now a days the criminals have more rights than us law abiding citzens
check your local laws it varries, in ohio you CAN defend someone however its' tricky..

if you use your gun to protect someone elses life the law then looks at it from the standpoint of the person you protected.. you will only be cleared of the shooting if the person you protected would have been justified in using force..

it's a tricky thing and they dont suggest you try to play "cop"

however i can tell you (and we actually had a thread on this) that if someone was shooting up a mall and i had a gun i would put a bullet right in their head.

and if the police tried to prosecute me the media would have the police chiefs nuts in a vice..

Registered
I always carry a reload for each firearm I carried concealed. When a semi-auto is carried on the belt -- I have one, most likely two, magazines in a carrier depending upon the leather's design.

The reason for the extra magazine is not so much out of fear of running out of ammunition -- it is for redundancy. Like firearms, magazines do malfunction from time to time. That 16+1 magazine some have faith in to solve all their self defense needs may fail to feed. If so, it sure would be nice to go through the standard malfunction drill for your chosen firearm (assuming you'd had the training) -- dropping the affected mag, clearing the weapon, inserting the new mag, chambering a round and getting back into the fight -- wouldn't it?

I'm also surprised to hear of the fear of being sued or prosecuted for using a firearm in self defense. If deadly force is justified -- who cares? Fail to have or use a firearm and you'll likely be dead (remember deadly force is assumed to be justified when you pull the firearm and prepare to fire). I'll do what is needed at the time and let the DAs, SAs and my attorney sort out things after the fact -- but I wil be alive to deal with it....rather than the alternative. Fortunately, I live in a state (FL) that protects the shooter when self defense including deadly force is justified. May all states eventually model the Florida "Stand Your Ground" law!

Registered
joe sixpack said:
and if the police tried to prosecute me the media would have the police chiefs nuts in a vice..
I know i'm splitting hairs here, but police don't prosecute people, lawyers, namely DA's and US attorneys do.

Nonetheless, your point is well taken and I would do the same thing.

One thing to note about the use of force is that there is a big difference between being arrested for a crime, and being tried and convicted. To be convicted, a jury would have to agree to a man that the shooting was not in self-defense.

Registered
Paul_Bunyun007---
Have you ever been in a situation where you have had to shoot someone? I've seen quite a few video's of LEO's as well as others emptying their gun at short range and nobody gets hit, let alone die. Seem other video's of people taking several hits and walking away.

Glad to know that under a high stress event you can keep your cool and drop the BG with 1 bullet. How about when there are more then one person? Quite possible to run up against 3 or more BG's. I don't carry an extra mag, not sure where to keep it, not hard in the winter but summer for me is swim trunks. Not sure that I could stop the BG's with 1 or 2 shots, might take more, even cops miss and they might have backup. I'm old and grey, can't run very fast and don't think in a fight with more than 1 person that I'd walk away. It's not an 'old shootout' like the 'wild west'. Even being in condition yellow is no guarantee that you won't be jumped by more then one. Ever stop at a light or stop sign in a bad neighborhood? The loser is usually the one not ready for the worst. Even a quick stop at the mini mart can have 2 or more perps in the store and one in the car. That's 4 BG's and no guarantee they wouldn't shoot everyone in the store. You'd have to be a very good shot to place 1 in the head on 4 people. Don't think I'm that good, ever was or ever will be.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts