Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats do you CCW guys carry and how do you like it? Also where and how do you carry it? I will be taking the CCW class on the 10th but all of my hand guns are to large for concealed carry so Im looking at compact 9mm and larger cals.
Would like light weight so a poly frame would be perfered.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The Taurus TCP PT738 is an excellent choice for deep concealed carry due to its light weight (10.2 oz.) and its compact size. These pistols can easily and comfortably be carried in a pocket holster or in the Bulldog Pouch.

EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read your post and see you are looking for 9mm and larger caliber pistols for concealed carry...so...I offer up a recommendation for the Taurus PT740 Slim, which is a great carry pistol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I highly recommended Theis Holsters as you are not limited to smaller guns. The double clips on them distributes the weight better than other holsters. I carry a full size 1911 winter and summer with no discomfort.

If smaller and lighter is what you really want the MilPro or 24/7 lines are great guns with higher capacity you don't get with the Slim models.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I have multiple carry positions depending on the weapon, but since I normally carry full size .45 auto's I generally end up OWB at 4:00-4:30. My .22's and .40 S&W revolver are carried in my strong side pocket, while my Polish P64 swaps between OWB and strong side pocket depending on attire.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I highly recommended Theis Holsters as you are not limited to smaller guns. The double clips on them distributes the weight better than other holsters...

If smaller and lighter is what you really want the MilPro or 24/7 lines are great guns with higher capacity you don't get with the Slim models.

Agreed...these guns will very comfortably conceal in a Theis IWB holster.

My Millennium PT145 can be carried comfortably all day in this holster.

Attachments

Reactions: WaterRat

·
Registered
95 Posts
I carry my TCP 738 two ways, usually in a pocket holster. My daughter who sews made me a holster tee shirt looking at some on web sites. The holster is high under my left arm and is covered by an unbuttoned cotton shirt. I forget it's even there. I recently bought a Kangaroo Carry at a gun show and am amazed that I can carry my big Ruger P95 completely concealed under a polo shirt and comfortable.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Check out the Versacarry IWB system. Not really a holster but does an excellent job of safe and secure carry. Saw one my Son had today that he carries his G26 in. I just ordered one today from E-bay for $24.99 with free shipping. A very unique system for concealment. Getting one for my TCP. If I like it I'll get another one for my SA V-10. They are pretty neat.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Check out the Versacarry IWB system. Not really a holster but does an excellent job of safe and secure carry. Saw one my Son had today that he carries his G26 in. I just ordered one today from E-bay for $24.99 with free shipping. A very unique system for concealment. Getting one for my TCP. If I like it I'll get another one for my SA V-10. They are pretty neat.
That Versacarry system is very interesting! But i would be concerned about comfort with so much of the firearm exposed to skin contact. It also seems that sweat would become a bigger concern with the minimalist design. I think may of us would benefit from some pictures of the system*hint*

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I like to carry OWB with a untucked shirt covering it at 3 o'clock. I carry a Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro. It's 13+1.
Same here, except for me, it's my PT1911.

Reactions: WaterRat and mingaa

·
Registered
17 Posts
S&W 640 .357 magnum with Uncle Mike's pocket holster in front pocket. Loaded with Double Tap Bonded Defense 158 Gr.
.357 mags. Replaced original rubber grips with wood classic panel grips. 5 shots you can count on with over 500 foot pounds of energy.
Not so light that it is uncontrollable, yet not so heavy that it does not get carried. It is accurate enough, and 100 % reliable.

Update: Switched back to the stock grips. The wood grips were just too brutal with full power mag loads.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Most popular are Kahr CW 9 either in a Hume IWB holster or a Blackhawk pocket holster that also fits my Taurus 709. If I carry full size (Glock 22) I put on an Uncle Mike's instructors gun belt and a Comp Tac Kydex paddle holster - this is a winter, off work rig for the most part. This setup stays surprisingly close to the body - id carry it more often but my work really demands deep cover and the occasional removal of the gun - hence the paddle holster - which is also designed for competition and works amazingly well in both worlds - fits my g34 as well. I have an IWB holster for the 22. What was I thinking. Maybe if I lost a few pounds...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Presently I'm carrying my PT709 in a DeSantis SofTuck #106-D6. Because it has an adjustable cant, I usually carry it IWB at 4:00, but can change it to cross draw appendix for driving.

DSC04136.JPG DSC04137.JPG

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
It depends on what I'm carrying, where I'm going and what I plan on doing once I get there but I've used about everything except an ankle rig (I stand up too much at work for an ankle rig to be practical) over the last 20 years.

Normally, I use pocket carry, appendix IWB (I lost 30 pounds a few years ago and it became practical again), IWB behind the hipbone or OWB at or slightly behind the hipbone, the exact placement depends on the gun I'm carrying and what the cover garment will let me get away with. About 75% of the time, it's IWB- either appendix or the more traditional behind the hipbone.

I gave up on shoulder rigs a long time ago. I find them to be need adjusting too much and I don't like having to strap it to my belt on both sides to keep it where it need to be. Now, once you get a shoulder rig set up right they are a great- especially for carrying a big gun- but I find I lack the patience for fine tuning the rig to fit right.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Presently I'm carrying my PT709 in a DeSantis SofTuck #106-D6. Because it has an adjustable cant, I usually carry it IWB at 4:00, but can change it to cross draw appendix for driving.

View attachment 46924 View attachment 46925

I have pondered this holster for awhile, but didn't know anyone who acutally carried one. I see mouth of the holster is re-enforced. Does it remain open enough to re-holster the handgun easily ?? I like the idea of the adjustable cant.

I carry an old S&W Mode 411 in a leather IWB Blackhawk, a Kimber Carry also in a Blackhawk IWB, and a PT845 in a DeSantis Cozy Partner designed for the S&W M&P series.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
DSC00596.jpg I carry a PT 145 in a Tagua OWB all the time.I'm left handed and found this is very comfortable.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Old_Sp5: Yes, that's one of the things I like about it. It doesn't collapse like the nylon variety.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts